Everybody's gone to the rapture
  • Edge have reviewed the experience they wanted this to be and not the mess that it is, and given it a [9]. "The naturalism of the performances is striking," it says. Yes, striking in how far from naturalism they are.

I give up.
  • I gave up on Edge about a year ago. Or maybe longer.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    Edge have reviewed the experience they wanted this to be and not the mess that it is, and given it a [9]. "The naturalism of the performances is striking," it says. Yes, striking in how far from naturalism they are.

I give up.

You sound like you're grandstanding a load of noise to gain respect through being sheer maverick
  • There's nothing maverick about saying this is shit.  I thought my detailed explanation of why it's shit had enough justification to not be written off as 'a load of noise'. I'm neither desperate enough to need anyone's respect here, nor stupid enough to think I'd get it.

But, y'know, thanks for another solid bit of input. You never let me down in that department.
  • I saw one of the guys from these developers write a column in Games TM bemoaning cut scenes in games. I may be incredibly ill informed here, but aren't these games almost entirely cut scenes interspersed with long tedious walking to the scenes of exposition?

I mean, he was complaining about doing nothing for half an hour in a metal gear cutscene which is a fair point, but if all you do in his own game is point up on the control stick that's hardly any better.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The exposition is entirely 'in game', allowing you control while it plays out, and the chance to miss out or ignore some stuff entirely. It's a fine hair to split, though, given how it works in practice.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    So, I finally finished this… this literally soporific mess. I was genuinely nodding off with the pad in my hand for the last two characters.

As somebody has already pointed out, don’t make countless references to ‘all of the birds dying’, and ‘birds falling out of the sky’, and litter the ground with avian carcasses, then have birdsong everywhere that you go.

Don’t needlessly introduce changes in the time of day if your night skybox is a pig of a flat texture and your engine chuggs at a spluttering, stuttering frame rate every time you move the sun.

Don’t have a game heavily reliant on voice acting, and employ only those types of Radio Actors who like to show of their Acting with every syllable. Fuck me, they’re fucking awful. Spectacularly, despite all the Actorly voices, I only ever recognised two of them without the constant refering to each other by name. One of them because he was in Bread, and the other because she was American.

Don’t make your only gameplay mechanic a) pointless , b) motion controlled, or c) stubborn.

Don’t refuse to give your player a map then make so many of your in-game maps so difficult to read. Don’t, amazingly, make pretty much all of the maps in the top-half of the game world lie flat, so they’re even harder to read.

Don’t make your player move at a snail's pace then put them in a world with no obvious route to follow to find everything first time.

Don’t apparently introduce a visual indicator where ajar doors can be opened and closed ones can’t, only to occasionally have ajar doors stuck and closed ones openable.

Don’t allow a door to open into an area where there is nothing to find, and nothing to do. Especially don’t do this when that initial door leads to an area where all the other doors you’ve coded shut have no lock on them, making their inability to open nonsensical.

Don’t have a mechanic of hearing telephone calls if you don’t have some sort of telephone interaction animation.

Don’t allow pretty physics of walking through a sheet hanging on a line if a) the pristine sheet appears to suddenly then be covered in grubby lines, and b) it makes it obvious that in this entire valley, nobody has clothes hanging out to dry, but nearly everyone has white sheets hanging out to dry.

Don’t have the pissy, floaty camera which gives you no sense of existing in this world bob laughably over some footballs, but crash into an invisible wall at some tyres lying flat on a sheet. Don't also have it bob dismayingly over flimsy plastic picnic chairs, and unrealistically over styles.

Just fucking don’t.

I wanted to like this. I liked the early eighties look, I liked the feeling, at times, of a populated world suddenly emptied. But, in my often flawed opinion, there’s little point in making a world so pretty if player interaction with it is so devoid of feeling. The fact that, for example, swings swing and drying sheets flap over you only draws more attention to the fact that everything else is welded tight.

I know it’s the same in many other fps, but more than ever I did not feel I was a physical presence in this world. The sound of the footsteps (which seem totally out of sync with the rate of movement) suggests I’m controlling someone left behind. A physical person. These occasional interactions reinforced the idea, but everything else just fails completely. Maybe it wouldn’t fit with what they were trying to do (whatever that may be) but I spent the whole time wanting this to be third-person, and for there to be animations to back up the interactions.

I’ve often said that what’s important for me in whether or not a game looks good is a sense of solidity. I don’t get any of that with EGttR, so it’s prettiness counts for very little. It’s incredibly pretty, as long as you don’t move or do anything. And that makes the already paltry level of interactivity even more pointless.

A pointless waste of time.

I'm pretty much with this. Apparantly I missed some story, according to the trophies. The game is literally just story, how is it possible for me to do that?

I've not played one if these things before, but I just didn't get this.
  • I love these sort of games, but it replies heavily on it's story and characters. And I either didn't care about or hated the characters. So that meant I didn't like the game. If I had liked the characters, it probably would've been on my GotY list.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've got the urge to replay it at some point to see if time will have changed my opinion any. The player character is still probably a massive selfish twat though.
  • The player character? You mean the alien intelligence going through the data they've recorded? I suppose they are a massive selfish twat for wiping out humanity's physical presence, yeah.

:p
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Lonely alien life form. And it's not entirely clear what life awaits the people absorbed. Either way, massive group decision.

Surprised they didn't code name it "The Black Dog".
  • AJ wrote:
    The player character? You mean the alien intelligence going through the data they've recorded? I suppose they are a massive selfish twat for wiping out humanity's physical presence, yeah.

:p

Is that who you were supposed to be playing as? That was the thing that wound me up the most, not knowing who the fuck you were.
  • No, it's left up to your own interpretation, as far as I can tell. Really, I don't think you're meant to be playing as anyone.
  • Details are hazy in my memory now, but I seem to remember being pretty sure who I was supposed to be. Friend/partner of the American, maybe? It was hard to care.
  • I think you thought you were meant to be the American, but that didn't sit right with me.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You're the American lass who became the "primary host" for the depressed energy monster and you've been shut up in the observatory whilst everything has been going on.
  • Evidence?

Also, why do you then narrate a load of stuff to yourself in the last section?

I don't buy it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Because it's your own thoughts.

mnightshamalamalan.jpg
  • I thought you were the guy, not the American.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Nah guy dissipates/absorbed in the bunker. After losing his mind and breaking down waiting for you. Harsh fate.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    This is what i remember from roughly a year ago.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh no, wait, he sets himself on fire to spite the depression monster.
  • Oh yeah now I remember.
  • I don't think you're Kate, that doesn't line up with what happens.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Present your case forthwith or forever be a gobshite.
  • Kate tells you at the start of the game to look to the light for answers. And as AJ says she narrates a load of stuff at the end. Why would she talk to herself?

Also, Stephen is a primary host as well, he specifically states that.
  • Makes the most sense so far.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!