Bear & Badger: Top 5 Games Of All Time! (2015)
  • indigo wrote:
    Nostalgia fueled, freshest game-fun top 5:

5) JetPac 
    4) Marble Madness
    3) Zelda 2: AOL
    2) Streetfighter 2 (Arcade ver)
    1) Super Mario Bros 1

This guy gets it.
  • Resi 4 so good indeed. Just missed my top 10. Wait, did I not have a Metal Gear (no 3 in particular) in my post?!

Shhhhit Half Life 2. Portal.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • trippy wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    3. Dynamite Dan
    I've not heard of this. Retro? Indie? Ineterested to learn more.
    It's an insanely tough c64 (and spectrum) platformer. A bit like Manic Miner.  At the time I was transfixed by the graphic and sound design, it's set in a very trippy house and you can go anywhere you like, though you'll likely die getting there.  My favourite game for ages but unlikely to set anyone's world alight if they're playing it for the first time now.
    And Amstrad.  What I had it on.
    Amstrad made computers? I trust it's in your top 5 too, then?

God no.
  • Place holding like a boss. From the other thread.
    Facewon wrote:
    1. Dark Souls. As a total package I don't know that I can ignore the obsession, the effect it had on my playing of other games, and how good I found it when most games of late have left me completely jaded.

2. Halo CE. Just about see above. I put in so much time. Played so much co-op and so much local MP. And the revisit last year just highlighted that it pretty much stands the test of time.

3. SotC. Flawed, but executed epic bosses well ahead of everyone else, and nailed less is more and leaving things to imagination.

4. GTA Vice City. Like the Halos, hard to know which ones to include, and then in what order. But this is the one that I loved the most at the time of release, I think. Close call with SA, but SA pushed some RPG buttons a step too far.

5. Colin McCrae 2.0 The handling was just so good. And shaving seconds off times and trying to nail corners was just so satisfying. And it was nails hard in spots. Aiming for consistency over the course of an event made it even better.

6. Halo 3. In hindsight, the first of the really complete package Halos. 4 player co-op, and the beginnings of stuff like arcade scoring and forge which have gone on to be a big part of the replay value of FPSes in general. MP was where it's at.

7. Halo 2. Flawed in so many ways, but at the time, online MP was something else. it brought out the worst in a lot of people, and there were, again in hindsight, massive balance issues and bugs/tricks with the MP, but still: Hour upon hour of customs on Lockout and Midship. Say no more.

8. Ico. The little game that could. See Adkm's reasoning.

9. Prince of Persia. Sand of Time. Perfect length. No filler. Perfect little final section where they take away the sands of time, yet the game remains fair. probably UBi's best work.

10. Blast Corps. Amazing amount of time spent hammering platinum scores in this. Amazing.

Honourable mentions:

BFBC2 (MP FTW), NBA2k11, ODST, MGS, Chrono Cross, Bioshock, PGR 2, GTA SA, GTA IV, Rez, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Orta, XI (Devil's Dice), and various XBLA titles.

Need to think about additions and changes and order.

Destiny isn't cracking that list yet.

MGS5 needs to be finished before judgement, and skull missions are already red flags.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    1. Skyrim
    2. Final Fantasy X
    3. Dragon Quest IX
    4. Dark Chronicle
    5. Civilization III

Leave me on a desert island with just those five and I'd get by just fine.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    1. Super Mario World
    2. Zelda LttP
    3. Final Fantasy VI
    4. Super Metroid
    5. Secret of Mana

screw you, other consoles

(Surely we did a top 10 ever recently? I think I also had Super Meat Boy, Civ 2, Motorstorm PR, Tetras and I can't remember what.)
  • Shit, I forgot Mana. And Terranigma. Love them. And Chrono Trigger.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    1. Super Mario World
    2. Zelda LttP
    3. Final Fantasy VI
    4. Super Metroid
    5. Secret of Mana

(Surely we did a top 10 ever recently? I think I also had Super Meat Boy, Civ 2, Motorstorm PR, Tetras and I can't remember what.)

See first page for link.
  • Trying to decide if "the feels" is just one factor for my list or not.
  • Bob wrote:
    Who the Fuck says eeh-co???
    People who like to use the correct pronunciation.  I know, it sounds shit, but what can you do?

Yossarian wrote:
    Destiny still offers the absolute pinnacle of first person shooting, both in its mechanics and level design.
    I’m no major FPS fan, but this is a ma-hoo-ssively subjective statement, Yoss.  If I for one minute thought that the ridiculous prancing around that goes on non-stop in bungie’s titles where all FPSes were headed, I wouldn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Anyway, my original post in the evarrr thread:
    This was really, really tough.  For example, I've swapped Kessen and Ring of Red in and out of the list I don't know how many times.  Trying to whittle down the final thirty to just ten was a fairly arbitrary process.  I do wonder if I should've kept the ten to twenty games that didn't make the cut in a separate list, rather than mixing them up with the other also-rans but, to be honest, on any given day there are a few of these that could've easily ended up anywhere else.  I think the top five would probably stay top five, but perhaps swapping about a bit.  Maybe.  And to think that I'm the negative one who hates all games!

1.  Ico (PS2)
    This game is pretty much perfect.  It looks beautiful, the puzzles are pitched brilliantly, and it surpasses all games in getting you to emotionally invest in the lead characters.  Love it.

2.  Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
    Again, the emotional investment, this time with a gradually building sense of dread.  Working out the solutions is a little bit more frustrating, but this fits well, I think, with the more intense action.

3.  Bushido Blade (PS1)
    The atmosphere of this game changes as the balance and intensity of each fight shifts.  I've played fights in near silence, with just the sound of the characters' feet on the gritty snow as each shifts their position, looking for a chance to attack without leaving themselves open, before one dives in delivering a fatal blow, the only strike of the encounter.  I've also seen epic fights spanning the whole game area, both fighters badly injured, struggling to find the energy to finish the other.  Cracking.  (Here is a thing I wrote about Bushido Blade since writing this post.)

4.  Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
    Takes the vertiginous gameplay of the previous games, and adds to the convincing physicality they set in place.  I can't think of a game that more convinces me that the character I'm controlling physically exists in the environment I'm moving him around.

5.  Colony Wars (PS1)
    Along with Bushido Blade, this is a game I read about religiously in Play magazine, reading every preview over and over, never able to get enough, and, like Bushido Blade, the final product delivering everything I had hoped for and more.

6.  Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe (Atari ST)
    The title music and controls mean that this version remains superior to subsequent tweaks and polishes.

7.  Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (PS2)
    I've never played any other Baldur's Gate games, so I don't know where this sits with them, but it's the most involving hack'n'slash I've enjoyed.  Great atmosphere, involving gameplay, convincing environment.  A joy.

8.  Kessen (PS2)
    Because who wouldn't want to be a kick-ass Japanese warlord in a camp/magical version of history?

9.  Gears of War 2 (360)
    This defines online multiplayer for me, both co-op and versus.  I know that a lot of those who were in on the act with the first game had complaints about the balance of this, but I was too busy having fun to care.

10. Grand Theft Auto (PS1)
    Now here's a game that has never been improved on.  The London instalment seemed rushed, the sequel handled awfully, and since then it's gone 3D and, while some of them are good, they've rather changed from the original.

Honourable mentions (in no order whatsoever):
    FIFA, ISS-Pro Evo, Madden, Tekken 3 (PS1), X-Blades (360), Batman The Movie (Atari ST), The Untouchables (ZX Spectrum), UFC 2009: Undisputed (360), Tenchu (PS1), Road Rash (PS1), Project Overkill (PS1), Star Gladiator (PS1), Cannon Fodder (Atari ST), Kilzone Liberation (PSP), Spider-man (PS1), Spider-man 2 (PS2), Full Spectrum Warrior (Xbox), Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3), Uncharted 2: Amongst Thieves (PS3), Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita), Rayman Origins (360 & Vita), Tomb Raider (PS1), Rez (PS2), Worms (PS1), Timesplitters (PS2), Burnout (PS2), Medal of Honour (PS1), Medal of Honor (360), Nitro (Atari ST), Supercars II (Atari ST), Freedom Fighters (Xbox), Portal (360), Metal Gear Solid (PS1), Rally Cross (PS1), GTA: Vice City (Xbox), Ring of Red (PS2), Dropship: United Peace Force (PS2), SSX (PS2), Prototype (360), Sky Odyssey (PS2), Urban Chaos (PS1), Gran Turismo (PS1), Forza Motorsport 2 (360), Barbarian (ZX Spectrum), Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox), Resident Evil (PS2), Left 4 Dead (360), Chequered Flag (ZX Spectrum), Hostages (Atari ST), Target Renegade (ZX Spectrum), Double Dragon (NES), Turrican 2 (Atari ST), Crackdown (360), Hard Drivin' (Atari ST), other games that people mention that I'd somehow forgotten about.

Red Faction has popped into my head as one I’ve missed out.  It wouldn’t make a top ten, but I have very fond memories of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (and wrote a thing about it, too).  I’ve not played a vast amount of n++ but it’s mechanics are impeccable.  My enjoyment of the physicality of Uncharted 3 could now be joined by The Order 1886.  GTAV would also now be in my honourable mentions, along with Mad Max, which could in time work its way into that top ten.  The Last of Us has to be in there somewhere.

Another thing that has happened since I wrote that list is that I’ve revisited Ico.  I found myself getting frustrated with the camera, and what felt like unfair obfuscation of puzzle solutions.  While my contemporary feelings about Ico were unparalleled, I don’t - for example - have the same frustrations when I revisit Bushido Blade, or the first Burnout, both of which are still great fun.

While I’m sorely tempted to, I won’t be so self-indulgent as to go and find all of my previous posts in similar threads, but for those who like this sort of thing and missed in first time around, can I point out mk64’s A-Z of Gaming thread, which I kept meaning to get back to to finish off my own A-Z.  It certainly contains plenty of contenders.
  • 1. Banjo Kazooie
    2. THPS3
    3. Timesplitters 2
    4. Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 2
    5. Streets of Rage 2

An easy list tbh.
  • I will expand at some point.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    1. Skyrim 2. Final Fantasy X 3. Dragon Quest IX 4. Dark Chronicle 5. Civilization III Leave me on a desert island with just those five and I'd get by just fine.

My desert island list would be different from my top 5 ever list. Different type of game for that (though one or two of my top 5 would make it).

My desert island shortlist would include Asteroids Deluxe, Tempest 2000, Kaboom! and probably Mushi Futari.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I've never played Ico. Does it still hold up?
  • You might find yourself getting frustrated with the camera, and what feels like unfair obfuscation of puzzle solutions.
  • I forgot WWF No Mercy
  • And it being shit, that too.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Ooh a list! This will give me something constructive to at work tomorrow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Destiny still offers the absolute pinnacle of first person shooting, both in its mechanics and level design.
    I’m no major FPS fan, but this is a ma-hoo-ssively subjective statement, Yoss.  If I for one minute thought that the ridiculous prancing around that goes on non-stop in bungie’s titles where all FPSes were headed, I wouldn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

Subjective, perhaps, but I don't think it's hugely controversial. You may disagree, but even those reviewers that disliked the game on release noted the quality of the mechanics.
  • The mechanics in Destiny are tight as fuck. The shooting is top draw.
    Personally I still find it boring though. The lack of precise pick ups like grenades. The way hard weapons are regulated rather than learnt. I get why people like it but it all seems far, far too restricted and 'in the loop' for myself.

Titanfall is the exact opposite game and I love it.
    There is always something to do. It always has the potential to win the round, even the worst player can make an impact.

Destiny just seems oppressive.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If you're talking about PvP, I agree. It's fun and all for a little while, but it is lacking.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    1. Super Mario World
    2. Zelda LttP
    3. Final Fantasy VI
    4. Super Metroid
    5. Secret of Mana

See first page for link.

Ta. Close enough:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Here's my top ~10:

Super Mario World
    Zelda LTTP
    Super Metroid
    Final Fantasy VI (III)
    Secret of Mana
    Civ II
    Final Fantasy XII
    Super Meat Boy
    MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
    COD MW
    ICO
    Secret of Monkey Island
    Final Fantasy VII
    Zelta OoT

Some others seems a bit less consistent in their choices. Reg needs to have a word with his missus, for one.
  • Mine is pretty consistent. I just decided to drop Journey and Metroid Prime a bit lower and promote ICO and Okami.
  • Gonna do a nostalgia list and a real list. The real list is the games I would play today.

The nostalgia list is the list most of you nerds seem to be writing.

Nostalgia:

1. Gears of War
    2. Knights of the Old Republic 2
    3. Deus Ex Invisible War
    4. Half Life 2
    5. Vandal Hearts

Real:
    1. Gears of War: UE
    2. Destiny
    3. Half Life 2
    4. Portal
    5. Uncharted 2

• Tempy wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    - Throwing things into distant bin while slumped in swivel chair - Avoiding cracks in paving - Thumb wrestling - Some kind of table hockey thing with coins - Dance-offs
    Reminds me, has anyone played pac man air hockey? It's really fun and mad.
    Yeah it's an arcade about ten minutes from where I stay

Wherezat, then? Will have to boost along.

Rattling off without thought

Perfect Dark
    Rez
    Skies of Arcadia
    Super Hexagon
    Majora's Mask

In terms of ones I never bore of playing, watching, thinking about, returning to. Would boot up any of them now given the chance.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Wow, some great lists and nominations! Not surprisingly, OoT is currently top. Updated*
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    1) World of Warcraft[/b] Where to begin. I am glad i played World of Warcraft, i will remember certain experiences from the game forever. I didn't really know what it was when i started but i remember reaching the first big city and wow, it was so atmospheric, so much atmosphere lied ahead. I spent something like 320 days actual days playing. I never reached highest level. I'm literally insane. After my initial hit of amazingness my guild disbanded and i kept making new characters searching for how good that could be. I'm not really selling it am I. My favourite memory is making it on to the world of warcraft europe front page. I had joined the very first roleplay + player versus player server as a Tauren. I joined a Tauren guild and we had an inter-faction rivalry with a Troll guild. We decided we were going to go attack the night elves in their home city. On the way we saw the trolls who conveniently had the same idea at the same time. (Obviously the guild leaders were organising each other.) I shouted something like 'for now trolls we fight together' and my character with that speech bubble was immortalised on the website. We made it to Ashenvale and everything was strangely quiet. We got to the Night Elves home city and suddenly out of nowhere thousands of night elves materialised. (they had a special ability to go invisible.) They murdered us all. It was fun.

That's a great story. Ah, the memories. Those were amazing times in the industry.
  • Come on Dark Souls you can do it! OoT is awesome though. It's funny, often when i'm playing dark souls and i do something that will open up a door somewhere i instinctively expect to hear that zelda noise you get when you open up a door.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!