Bear & Badger: Top 5 Games Of All Time! (2015)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    "Wife's" top 5: 5) Final Fantasy 7 4) Gran Turismo 3) Ocarina of Time 2) Portal 1) Shadow of the Colossus
    So close to a perfect list. I'd definitely be interested in seeing more "top 5 from Mrs. Forumite", they've generally been solid lists so far.

How can you not like it? If you prefer ICO fair enough or even if you think it's slightly over-rated i won't shoot you but you seem not to like it at all?
  • It's like some people who put something like Crazy Taxi in their all time top 5! Strange isn't it?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Crazy Taxi was fun
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    If you prefer ICO fair enough or even if you think it's slightly over-rated i won't shoot you but you seem not to like it at all?

I prefer Ico, yes. But SotC is a little bit pants, IMHO.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    If you prefer ICO fair enough or even if you think it's slightly over-rated i won't shoot you but you seem not to like it at all?
    I prefer Ico, yes. But SotC is a little bit pants, IMHO.

Fair enough. Each to their own. Just surprised.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Crazy Taxi was fun

I remember when that was the primary reason for playing them.

Times have changed ;)

(I love Crazy Taxi, btw)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • I found it fun for about a day that was it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    From the wife: Dr Mario Banjo Kazooie The Sims Sim City Rollercoaster Tycoon

New rule/outrageous accusation: No-one doing spouselists is allowed to put what would probably be their own 6th choice on the list just to get it on the board.

How dare you! She had free reign and was her first pick. Actually it's one of a handful of games we played together... I did the hard bits and any water bits (she hates any and all water levels).

She still does a mean Banjo impression.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    YouTube vid or it didn't happen
  • OK, I believe you.

RE: Crazy Taxi - always disliked the main game, but the Crazy Box mode in both games was absolutely superb.
  • Listening to Okami as I make my way home. So good. 

Might start a replay in HD on my PS3. Have the Jap physical copy which came with a gorgeous snowglobe thing.
  • I was listening to Okami on my way home too.

My list would probably be based on games I've bought the soundtrack to:

5. Metal Gear Solid
    4. SotC
    3. FF7
    2. Metroid Prime
    1. Okami
  • I'm missing the Prime ost out of that list.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Djornson wrote:

I thought everyone around here knew I hated Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid 2. It's why I don't get any invites to the B&B parties. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • In no particular order.

rBVjYeh.jpg

It may not be the best game ever made, it may not even be the best football game ever made, but this gave me countless hours of fun, MP hijinx and fantastic times with my friends. I was at uni and we were caning this, Goldeneye and Mario Kart, to the extent where a few of us would have 24 hour sessions on each game. Ridiculous, but the games were truly involving and we were lazy-arse student scrotes who wished for nothing more than a goal from half-way, the Golden Gun and Lightning. And some cheap-ass booze. 

W5kDtnU.jpg

I got lost in this game. Lapped up all the dlc, forgave it the occasional crash/invisible wall/Deathclaw stuck in scenery and just revelled in how much there was to do and see. Far prefer it to its predecessors and New Vegas and is probably my favourite ever game for the engagement and involvement I got from it. Only seen the announcement trailer for F4 as I want to experience it all for myself rather than have any surprises revealed. 

sJGUgQr.jpg

The modern versions of Football Manager are pretty much dead to me. There's simply too much to do. This was just perfect. You could spend hours prowling the transfer market, adopting the Xmas Tree formation and using the data editor to put you and your mates in the game. Ibrahima Bakayoko, Tommy Svindal Larrson, all of Partick Thistle and any Man U youth players would soon become world beaters and paved the way for the likes of Nii Lamptey and Freddie Adu to become virtual (rather than real) footballing icons in future iterations. I would always play as Carlisle and my friend as Wrexham. I'd win the league every season, yet he would always win our league matches. That desire for just 'one more game' led to many late nights. 

DPRTAlx.jpg

The best online FPS ever made. Spent over a month of my life playing this game, made loads of friends through it, delighted in inane conversation in lobbies, revelled in the gunplay, played like a toddler on Red Bull every time Shipment came up and had an absolute ball. How on earth the franchise fucked up so magnificently ever since amazes me. Along with California Games, it's the one game I would like a redirect HD remake of, warts and all. 

oV4ti5L.jpg

All of these games have some pretty obvious flaws and Bioshock is no different. But, the whole imagined world captured me from the very first trailer. One of those games where you're desperate to play it whilst also being reluctant to, for the fear it will soon be over. Replayed it a few years back and it still grabbed me as it did on the first run through. 

Loads more I could rave about and there's probably been a stack of games that have given me more concentrated enjoyment, but not the sustained relentless bliss these delivered.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Djornson wrote:
    I thought everyone around here knew I hated Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid 2. It's why I don't get any invites to the B&B parties. ;)

Hey, I tried to get you down here, despite you being extremely wrong about SotC.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Hey, I tried to get you down here, despite you being extremely wrong about SotC.

SotC is pants, search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And it was a very generous offer. :)
  • Mario 64  
    OOT
    Metroid Prime
    Shenmue
    Halo
  • Promised a write up and have a free evening so here it is (@SpeedHaak you have already added these so don't add again).

1. Banjo Kazooie.
    I first learnt about this game from a issue of N64 Magazine covering the E3 it was first unveiled (possibly 1996). I didn't have an N64 yet but it was out. I had this magazine, a 50 word write up and a postage stamp sized screenshot in a "100 things we saw at E3" article.
    I was in love. Whoever wrote those 50 words was too.
    As the game developed I followed it closely intrigued by the bright, colourful characters and promise of humour with strong gameplay.
    Launch day was approaching, the N64 was in the bag thanks to a celebration of my birth, as so happens annually. Such celebration came with some cash moneys too, that went into the cupboard, wedged between two oversized tubs of multivitamins for precisely two months.
    Launch day came, the first time I have ever even been aware of a launch date let alone waited for one. It was he summer holidays and I was spending the days at my mate's house while my parents were at work. I convinced my Mum to take me to town to pick up Banjo via a Burger King.
    Got it home, fired it up and it was everything I wanted and expected. From the opening song, to flying cauliflowers, to the stupid rhymes and dumb voices.
    Every world in the game is a big storybook adventure, even the weaker levels provide challenge, humour and something unique. As the game progresses the hub world becomes more and more tied to the individual worlds. 
    Then we get to ClickClock Woods. Now I would happily say SM64 had better mechanics than Banjo, Galaxy largely had better levels in terms of challenge but nothing in the world of 3D platforms beats the absolute brilliance that is ClickClock Woods. At first confusing, even once I thought it may be a 4 season thing I couldn't quite believe they could do that. 
    Just when you think the game can't throw anything more at you we get to the quiz. Just brilliant, I would welcome a quiz stage in almost any game, it was almost nostalgic going back through, reliving my adventure.
    The charm oozes from this game, it is just so loveable in every way. I still walk around the house doing impressions of the Captain Blubber, Mumbo Jumbo and Clanker.

Banjo Kazooie isn't my favourite game because it is the best game, it is my favourite game because I absolutely love it.

2. THPS3
    Ok, this game in a sentence. I used to format my PS2 memory Card so I could spend the weekend completing it again. I first got the ropey PS1 version of this and completed it over and over again. Once I bought a PS2 I picked up this again and immediately spent ages completing it fully with every character.
    The first game in the franchise to appear on the new gen (at the time). It had a fuller soundtrack, bigger levels, better graphics and more custom options than ever before. The big change however was Revert. Not the most realistic of moves but it allowed endless combos while using the full range of tricks, for the first time in the series. I think this is the first and last game I was actually good at, I complete games, I am competent enough on others but I was good at this. The Foundry I could 100% in a 2 minute run (bar gaps obv) Canada I could do in a run and a half. It is a game I could be totally dedicated to and at the same time a game I could play without really paying attention while chatting to mates.

3. Timesplitters 2
    The most fun FPS to be made to date. A bit like Banjo, there are better games in terms of precision and competition but this game is the most fun a group of friends sat around a TV could have. On the other hand don't be mistaken for thinking the game is anything but super tight, balanced and tactical. The series are the true sequels to Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and they play like them too, with the advantage of twin stick control. I loved how the story mode involved as much challenge and variety as most games at the time, sometimes more, but kept the tone light. The missions section of the game provided some true challenge and incredibly inventive things to do using the base mechanics. The weapons built on the teams legacy of being varied and many had secondary fire modes which made for some nifty tactics. Custom games provided a huge range of options including bots, weapon sets and game types. Big, silly, fun with tight mechanics.

4. Micro Machines Turbo Tournament 2
    This could have been any of the MM games after 2. Colourful, bright, varied and at times tough. The time trials proved hugely competitive in my group of friends. At the same time multiplayer was a different beast, ruining each other's by knocking each other off the course, pushing the screen edge hoping for a point before you had to turn, risking that shortcut doing the same. There was more to just racing it took guts and cunning. Big, silly, colourful and variety will always win me over and Micro Machines always delivered on this. You could be amazing at getting a dragster around a toilet seat then suck at the Helicopters flying over and under pipes in the attic. Ultimately the best thing about Micro Machines is that it let me do what I wanted to do with the actual toys I had.

5. Streets of Rage 2
    Always the warm up game but none the less fun for it. So from about the age of 8 to 12 I used to go to my mate's house after school with a third mate until our parents finished work. Nearly every day of that we would put the Mega Drive on and start with Streets of Rage 2. 3 Continues on Normal, lose a life pass the pad. Lose all continues and we would play something else. By the end we would just finish the game. The first few weeks we mostly just beat each other up but we got tighter and tighter at the game. Ive played it since on 360 with other people and it isn't the same. I knew instinctively my mate Alex  would go in on the boss while Darren would go for the lower baddies first, I knew Alex always got the pipe weapon because he was pixel perfect with it while Darren could throw a knife like a boss.  a lot of memories and good times tied to this one but it is still the top tier of its genre.

Mostly I think I prefer big, bold, colourful games, games that have teamwork but aren't necessarily built around it and I definitely miss same room multiplayer. I need silliness, games that take themselves seriously become a turn off. Any game I can imitate stupid voices from will always have a soft spot.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    1. Banjo Kazooie.

I really enjoyed DK64 via Wii U VC, so I'm keen to try this out. I dismissed it back in the day as SM64 clone.
  • It's insanely good.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • It's just lovely.
    An antidote to the roid rage Unreal Engine stuff of the 360 gen.
    If it is a SM64 clone (and it kinda is) it is the best of them, it does stuff SM64 doesn't though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Banjo is a top tier game
  • Banjo is awesome. DK64 was great too.

Ah, magazines. I remember them.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I found it fun for about a day that was it.

Qft.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Ah, magazines. I remember them.

I got Retro Gamer recently. Top stuff. Reading about the Neo Geo AES definitely feels right in print.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    GTAV for scope of gameworld
    Ico for emotional engagement
    Orange Box (Portal) for design
    Rez for in the zone experience
    Spelunky for infinite playability
  • Jdanielp for beautiful text placement.
  • It's like a visual Haiku.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Why thank you very much :)

(edited to achieve that result)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!