BioShock Infinite
  • That's a Handyman, you fight at least 3.
  • They don't look like that at all.
  • They just didn't have wigs is all.
  • Well they do 'at all'. But all the ones I fought were bald people with learning difficulties, this guy looks like a gent.
  • They're partially lobotomised freaks, wig or no wig they gon' beatchu down.
  • I did like the 'heeelllllp meee' and so on.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I would have liked to see more to do with them, just not fighting them since they were dull and frustrating affairs. A Handyman lab at Fink or something.
  • Much prefer that Handyman design to the one they went with.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The one they went with is all oooooh tragic horror what a horribly tragic place this is.

Shit, I'm starting to come round on this Bioshock, what a load of old wank idea.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    If press x do catch coin/ammo/salts appears in the middle of the screen during a fight once more I'm trading this fucker in.

This is one of my biggest bug bears with games like this. Where do the designers get the idea that pressing a button to pick stuff up is fun? Just give me the fucking item if I'm near it for fuck sake. This is what made me give up the game. Rifling through some drawers or a till for some gold coins is not, and never will be entertaining. Particularly when you have to pretty much place your reticule exactly on said item. Fucking garbage. I'm now annoyed by this. I'm getting pissed up tonight now. Fuck.

I got rid after the bit where it fills the screen with a million glowing turrets/ammo boxes/whatever to press x to activate/appear/whatever. Fuck indeed.

• MoesTavern wrote:
    Much prefer that Handyman design to the one they went with.

Agreed. Same personality but that look could have been a winner.

• You look like a man who appreciates value!

I think I've nearly finished this, I'm in the bank. Undertow is seriously overpowered, I don't even have to move anymore, just drag everyone towards me and then bosh them with the handcannon.
  • Rogers gives it some words, typical irreverence and micro-dissections of things.
    "Interference" is definitely a better term than "dissonance" re: rules fighting with fiction.
  • I read up until the baptism bit a few days ago, some words is an understatement. He's spot on about the boxart as well. I get the feeling Rogers ISN'T a complete punk like I thought he was, and yeah I do look a tiny bit like him as @google once remarked.

I like action button because they seem entirely honest in their reviews.
  • "lol, 4 thousands words."

"...well, shit."
  • My ultimate opinion on this game, though, stands as a rather trite:

I can't dislike a game that causes me to shout at the TV "Help me Robot-George-Washington!"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    There's touches like that, then at the other end there's the other extremes. It is rather schizophrenic.
  • Finally got to this game, enjoying it generally but finding it a bit spotty/patchy in terms of quality of content, some bits seem positively barren and i cant really figure out why im just doing random 'quests' for one little known agency after the next

It's also definitely getting samey, just seems like the same bunch of bad guys dropping in random places until they're all dead, and the area design seems to follow a familiar very specific blueprint

I am intrigued by the plot however, specially after people going on about it on this forum, so i'll press on tomorrow and see what happens, it's a nice break anyways
  • The more I look back on this, the more I think it was a huge disappointment.
  • I think theyre trying to do too much with it and it cant stretch to it
  • They managed to make the setting seem fresh which was no small feat after the brilliance of Rapture but the combat is so, so tired.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Rogers gives it some words, typical irreverence and micro-dissections of things.
    "Interference" is definitely a better term than "dissonance" re: rules fighting with fiction.

This is a great write up, btw. I can feel the writers' hand in my brain messing things about.

• Brooks wrote:
    Rogers gives it some words, typical irreverence and micro-dissections of things. "Interference" is definitely a better term than "dissonance" re: rules fighting with fiction.

I really appreciate this guy's viewpoint on videogames, and it helps me see your viewpoint about 'not making games about humans' much more clear

I finished this game a few hours ago and have mixed feelings, eventually concluding that yes, we shouldnt be making games about humans yet, because the game has immense humanity at times and as a game about people sucking, and elizabeth's plight, i was left affected and thinking a deal, but just about the rest of it was just fucking absurd

It's a spectacular absurd game and a very crappy shooter, which completely amputates all that was interesting about system shock, gameplay wise, but yeah it's an important game and i hope it does well, and i hope another game soon makes me feel like the game made me feel at times, because no matter how much i was thinking 'this is kind of crappy' at the game's shooting and it's ridiculous 'moral choices' (roger's review was hilarious and on point about the interference stuff), it did get me, the ending and the People Sucking did get to me

I thought brooks was being typically contrary before completing the game and reading his articles but he's not he's on target, except for, as far as i can tell, he just didnt care for the game, when on one level i genuinely did care for the game, or certain aspects and will think about them from time to time. Just a pity that significant affecting content was so rare and so abused by the absurdity of the rest of it. Worth a go though, i'm seriously not sure i actually sympathised with any aspects of a character as much as i sympathised with some aspects of elizabeth before, i allowed myself to establish some empathy with that bundle of polygons and rim lighting and it got to me
  • I'm up to Hall of Heroes now. A bit underwhelming and disappointing so far. Does it suddenly get really good? Not much has happened so far, at least nothing exciting.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I agree that even as a total mess, this game remains something of a miracle insofar as it's unusually ambitious for its industrial tier, and something of that ambition is a little heartening. Is why I'd mention it in the same breath as the MGS series, there's a similar struggle going on.

Re: Roger's exam, I'm not entirely convinced Binf's curated space is as interesting to just 'be'/explore the details of is as engaging as claimed, and actually that would provide more headspace to start noticing the slips in execution, even down to some of the graphic design choices and NPC canned routines.
    If we weren't shooting dudes inna face we'd need to be doing something challenging. With this in mind I'm kinda interested in checking out Gone Home.

If we think about IRL tourism, a key feature and provider of deeply satisfying feedback within the whole exercise is the fact we, well, exercise - we have to physically walk around to do any kind of investigating local architecture/take snaps with a cameraphone/check out a bay view/watch kids fighting. That isn't yet replicable in a virtual space; pushing the Forward button doesn't seem to cut it. (Rogers' go-to vocab for this sort of thing has been "friction" and it's well chosen; Steve Swink was talking about it first in Game Feel, which is still the best propa book on videogame design I've bothered with and y'all should give it a whirl.)
  • I too am not so convinced by its artistic and technical execution, for each lovingly crafted asset, its assembly in the world often lacks imagination with some environment design be very unimaginative and often a stark and barren arrangement of rectangular spaces, all right angles and surreal disheartening vistas of isolation. Particularly when a battle ends, you're left in some great space that doesnt seem to fulfill any function other than to fill one with despondecy. The character animation is frequently terrible and some of the finest technical feats are 'canned' - the baked lighting, the shader-heavy graphical fidelity, the now-standard in games extruded splines stuff (like any rail, skyrail, pipe, etc, you can buy the means to do that for a tenner in Unity). The art direction hasa strong particular direction that works when on course and falters when not on that course and only broke this at some points in which there was loving atention placed into an area that always seemed arbitrary at times or generally because you'll be talking to elizabeth during. There are some remarkable visual moments, some of the art, technical and 'arty' that really took me aback but this is not a constant thing and, again, generally let down in the shooty bits which tended to be bleak, insensible oblong arenas.

This game should not have been a shooting game, they probably should have taken everything that made system shock/bioshock great except took out the shooting and shown Bookers violent nature in more focussed, important, poignant scenes that made its brutality seem of consequence. As said repeatedly in crticism, you cannot have your cake and eat it, you cannot take all these serious issues and 'gameify' them until a serious audience can not only not-relate but laugh at its pomp and stupidity for assuming to engage their intellect while still ramming old and juvenile gaming tropes down their optic nerves

What a pity this game is, i would have liked to have felt terrible about the implication of the terrible terrible things that happened to some of the characters during the game's timeline (though not necessarily gameplay) and not felt like i could only feel like that like how i feel bad when i read about bad things happening to people in the newspaper. This could have been so much more, but somewhere, due to exec pressure or hubris, it disappeared right up its own gamey arse and i imagine what was once crystalised into a beautiful idea has been savaged into a messy, tragic beast
  • And thanks for the heads up i'll have a look at that book. I really want to get my next project (What i'm researching/preliminary arting and coding now) right, and understand basically how to get around what rogers called ludonarrative interference, supplying a game that is a game but attempts to rationally explain something further. My influence funnily is the last few seasons of Adventure Time. If only BI had the pure strength of that show's heart
  • I think it's possible to write a solid game-as-fiction around popular game design tropes, but you do have to think very, very keenly about what implications they have for your context, tone, character design (if any). In the process you're likely to end up with something narratively really novel, which is going to confound a lot of established rules in other media including expectations of certain kinds of payoff and initially limit its audience. But that's what progress is kinda about.

To my mind the best games-as-fiction thus far have tended to be unspectacular and ruminative, or breakneck, elegantly absurd.
  • Well that's it, underline consideration of tone and the design as it plays on a more intellectual and emotional basis. The essential result SHOULD be something of an oddity, it's not the basic ruleset that's at fault but a designers level of adherence to what has gone before. I'm sure you can make a game in which there is shooting where you can tell a moving and intelectually appealing science fiction story but it has to follow the tone of your story, be implemented in line with that tone - I dont see multiple 'get over here!'ing enemies with octopus water tentacles and shotgunning them, from an army of policemen/guys with red rags on their heads at close range in tune with BI's tone for example.

I even think you can make a spectacular game with serious things going on, but its themes, if Big Themes, should not be visual checkbox exercises with terrible rough player involvement.

I think mostly, you would expect a book, upon reading one having not read a book before, to actually make sense and its content appeal to you, not read like an insane rich white person has gone sky high up their own arseby the end of the first page and forever climbing in altitude thereafter, until by the end of the first chapter the book makes absolutely no sense and the things it asks you to take seriously bring out bursts of incredulous laughter. To be honest i am already a gamer and appreciated what BI trid to do and was affected by some of it, but i could imagine my partner yelling 'WHAT' at various points through the game, much like i did, even a a gamer, during metal gear solid 2 and 4.

Its not just games as fiction but games as responsible significant fiction that concerns me, and how we have to approach fiction from a game standpoint, how we have to reconsider how fiction is represented, and how games have to change to adapt to meet that half way.

You want, in the end, for the phrase 'oh nah im not a gamer' to be an stupid thing to say, like 'nah i dont read books' is usually marked with a tone of apology rather than dismissal from he/she who said it and going 'nah im not a filmer' is an extremely bizarre thing to say

If BI's aim was to empower gaming in an intellectual context, it has failed, because its a terrible mash of incredibly insulat gaming tropes executed oftentimes extremely badly, and thats such a pity! If its story could look upwards at the mechanics that drive it, rather than be dragged down and made largely inconsequential by them, it could have been truly a wondrous thing

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!