Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I meant the championship.

I remember Panis' win, and also Hill's at Spa in a Jordan. Rain was more fun in those days.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I remember Hill almost getting s win in the arrows too, until a gearbox issue.
  • Ah I see, by the end of the season you could probably argue Button in the Brawn, but again that was a bit of a one off due to the blown diffuser debacle and everyone else playing catch up. Prior to that definitely Schumacher in the Bennaton
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Wow. Merc need to have a word with themselves. Hope Russell gets another chance this weekend.

Good on Perez. I'm not his biggest fan but he deserved that and deserves to be driving next year.

Let's hope for a fitting finale to a weird/crazily entertaining season in Abu Dhabi this weekend. Yas!
  • I've had a fun day winding up Verstappen fans over on Planetf1.com
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Haha. He'll be hard-pressed to beat Bottas to second place in the championship now.
  • Mercedes been fined £20,000 for that tyre cockup. Russell gets to keep his points
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Ah I see, by the end of the season you could probably argue Button in the Brawn, but again that was a bit of a one off due to the blown diffuser debacle and everyone else playing catch up. Prior to that definitely Schumacher in the Bennaton

Yeah, I'd count that if not for his early-season advantage giving him a healthy points buffer. By the end of that year it was only a so-so car. I thought I remembered Hill almost winning in his TWR days, Goob.

A surprising number of people hate Marquez for dominating MotoGP in recent times, but I still find superbike racing relatable, whereas F1 cars might as well be space shuttles for how familiar I am with them these days. Much more than a lack of overtaking, the staccato rhythm of modern F1 tracks bore me.
  • Obvs there's gonna be more chatter about replacing Bottas with Russell after last weekend, but one thing occurred to me with the talk about Russell's height - maybe another reason Merc opt for Bottas is that he's similar size to Lewis so they can package the car around them tightly? having two drivers with very different heights would likely mean some kind of compromise so both can fit
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Just shorten Russell.
  • Sakir Short had loads of overtaking. Maybe something to be learnt from having shorter race tracks. 2022 will improve overtaking. Part of the problem is that teams develop their cars for V Max performance not for overtaking, then they get stuck in that 1.5 second window where the wake off the car ahead plays havoc with their aero.

The wake is a massive part of the problem. On a circuit like Singapore you need to have a minimum 6 second gap to the car ahead for qualifying in order for the turbulant air to become lambda air (standard air) again otherwise you qually lap will suffer. Fix the wake from 2022 and the spectacle should improve. Apart from monaco which is dogshite crap gp and should be binned.
  • I disagree. It's a formula one season so there's room for a variety of different tracks.

The challenge at Monaco isn't over taking it's the car control and the concentration needed to keep it out of the barriers for 80 odd laps.

We've become a bit fixated with over taking.

The reason we're stuck with these crap Pirelli tyres is that Bernie saw one race where the degradring quickly made for a spectacular race because it caught the teams out. Unfortunately when it's made into a thing the teams quickly work around it. They work around everything. The best thing to generate over taking is have different new tracks or layouts the teams don't have loads of data about. All the races on new tracks have been exciting.
    The Forum Herald™
  • the problem with monaco and overtaking though is that it's now basically impossible to overtake due to the size of the cars and the wake making it hard to follow, therefore the drivers don't have to push in the race to maintain position, so the risk and challenge drop. Exhibit A for that would be Danny Ric winning a few years back despite the ERS failure on his car costing him over 100HP in performance.
    it's still exciting for qualy but it's barely a race, more a procession.
  • Monaco pretty much has always been a procession but it was the only one on the calendar and was a bit special. Now there's too many tracks where overtaking is too difficult, Austria, Hungary, Barcelona, Singapore etc. so unfortunately its becoming the norm now and hence a bit monotonous.

I hope if they do sort the dirty air issue out (give everyone a standard rear wing and diffuser that creates a usuable pocket) they get rid of DRS. Its such a manufactured way of overtaking, it ruins the purity for me.
  • Weren't there new tryes brought out for that Danny Ricc win which basically fell apart so teams were just super cautious?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    That was the first weekend that the Ultra Softs were in use, but the race started off wet (we got absolutely soaked during the support races and start of the F1...) so I don't remember them seeing much race action.
  • That would be harsh on bottas. There are caveats to the last race. Russell came in, full of confidence wanting to make an impression. Bottas just lost another WC and has again been crushed by lewis. His confidence is down as his driving demonstrated.

Give Russell a season in the car again lewis and he will probably look as haggard as Darth Vader did under his helmet. Being teammates to Lewis, Verstappen, Alonso, Schmie, Senna etc isnt a easy thing to cope with.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    That would be harsh on bottas. There are caveats to the last race. Russell came in, full of confidence wanting to make an impression. Bottas just lost another WC and has again been crushed by lewis. His confidence is down as his driving demonstrated.

Give Russell a season in the car again lewis and he will probably look as haggard as Darth Vader did under his helmet. Being teammates to Lewis, Verstappen, Alonso, Schmie, Senna etc isnt a easy thing to cope with.

It wouldn’t be harsh on Bottas he’s self deluded and has had years
    The Forum Herald™
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    He is under contract so will get well paid off to walk away surely. Win win.
  • Apart from
    Not actually winning
    The Forum Herald™
  • I think bottas is unfairly judged at times. Then again, if Rosberg hadn't retired when he did Bottas would prob have spent his whole f1 career in the lower midfield running, so if merc pull the plug he should still ultimately be happy with what he's achieved.
  • I just think he has been a wasted prospect. He looked great at Williams, got an amazing opportunity at Mercedes and hasn't done anything with it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    But other than Hamilton only rosberg has managed to do anything for the last 7 years? And achieving what he did broke him and forced him to retire, so which other high achiever are we comparing Bottas against?
  • Button?
  • Rosberg ran away as he knew he got lucky that season. Hamilton had 3 engine failures that year and it was also the year they swapped the engineers for both teams around. Ok, Rosberg went to the absolute extremes to beat lewis that year. Not sleeping in the same bed as his wife. Thinning out his boots and gloves to save weight. Changing his diet, anything that would give him a marginal gain over lewis. It almost broke him as he has said in interviews since.

The mental pressure being teammates to lewis must be crazy. Dont forget Bottas was seen as a future WDC when he was at Williams. But i dont think Bottas has the ability in the car that Rosberg did. It could also be that both Rosberg and lewis like the car to be setup in a certain way and it doesn't suit bottas. Lewis likes a car with a positive front end. After all the RB is setup and designed around what Max likes in a car. Schmie's ferrari was the same.

Point being i think Bottas is judged unfairly at times. Hes been unlucky on numerous occasions. However to beat lewis in a Mercedes over a course or a whole season? On the grid currently, i dont think anyone could, max included.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Button got lucky 11 years ago.
  • I'm not even suggesting Bottas needed to beat Hamilton he just needed to regularly come in second which he doesn't do in the best car on the grid.

I mean he finished 5th in his second season, when his team mate Lewis won the Drivers Championship. I would have got rid then to be honest.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm not trying to defend bottas, I'm just saying no one has really excelled imo.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!