• Button got lucky 11 years ago.
    Button beat Lewis in the 2011 championship too when they were team mates at Mclaren
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:
    Button got lucky 11 years ago.
    Button beat Lewis in the 2011 championship too when they were team mates at Mclaren

Lewis won more races but Button scored more points. Id argue Button was his most important teammate. Lewis learnt alot about tyre management from Button. Button is revered to this day at Mclaren when it comes to tyre management as lando norris said recently.
  • Eric wrote:
    Button?

Nah
    The Forum Herald™
  • Eric wrote:

Button played safe so the stats flatter him.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Eric wrote:
    Lewis won more races but Button scored more points. Id argue Button was his most important teammate. Lewis learnt alot about tyre management from Button. Button is revered to this day at Mclaren when it comes to tyre management as lando norris said recently.

Fuck off

Button was also ran destined to be another coulthard 

The combination of luck needed for him to win a WDC will never be repeated again.

First Honda pull out
    Secondly brawn buys the team (I’m not sure this ever happened in this order before)
    They lose the Hknda engine
    The merc engine fits
    They exploit a loop hole for the double diffuser 
    They gave button a team mate used to playing second fiddle.

By any count that’s six absolutely lucky coincidences
    The Forum Herald™
  • I like the idea that you can get lucky by winning the most races and leading the entire season.
  • I like the idea that you can get lucky by winning the most races and leading the entire season.
    How can you not when you’ve exploited a loop hole with a car that shouldn’t even be on the grid ????
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    I like the idea that you can get lucky by winning the most races and leading the entire season.
    How can you not when you’ve exploited a loop hole with a car that shouldn’t even be on the grid ????

It didn't seem to do Williams or Toyota any good. It was good design plain and simple, and the other teams were pissed off only because they hadn't thought of it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And when the other teams caught up brawn stopped winning, hence button got lucky.
  • Bob wrote:
    Eric wrote:

The question was though, who hasn't been overwhelmed by having Lewis as his team mate. I don't think Button was.

• Yeah. Let me drill down into it

Honda leave formula one .. button doesn’t have a drive

A team principal buys team . Pretty sure a works team
    Has never been sold
    To a team principal but sure it happens

But Christ they’ve designed the car around the Honda engine they no longer have

They buy the best engine going it fits

They exploit the double diffuser

Five total flukes to give button the championship
    The Forum Herald™
  • Eric wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Eric wrote:

The question was though, who hasn't been overwhelmed by having Lewis as his team mate. I don't think Button was.

He matched Alonso .. I think even button
    Would say he came off lucky .. Rosberg has the most extreme luck

And that’s what the negihammy
    Fanboys cling too
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm not slating Hamilton here, no one comes close to his talent or achievement. I'm just saying Button was a good teammate who wasn't overawed by his ability.
  • And when the other teams caught up brawn stopped winning, hence button got lucky.

They didn't though. Barichello won 2 races after Button.

Button scored points in every race except the one someone drove into the back of him. Others crashed out and got themselves disqualified for lying to stewards.

I'm pretty sure Jensen specifically chose to go to McClaren to drive with Lewis, and they're still friends now.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Great Britain
    VET
    RBR RENAULT

Germany
    WEB
    RBR RENAULT

Hungary
    HAM
    MCLAREN MERCEDES

Europe
    BAR
    BRAWN MERCEDES

Belgium
    RAI
    FERRARI

Italy
    BAR
    BRAWN MERCEDES

Singapore
    HAM
    MCLAREN MERCEDES

Japan
    VET
    RBR RENAULT

Brazil
    WEB
    RBR RENAULT

Abu Dhabi
    VET
    RBR RENAULT

The last 10 races of the season and not a single Button win. He got lucky. I'm happy he got lucky as I liked him as a driver, but he got lucky.
  • You do realise that Brawn had almost no R&D budget to speak of. They pretty much finished the season with the car they started with, which is unheard of in F1. All cars develop over the course of a season. The other teams developed their double diffusers and caught Brawn up.

You could say Button got lucky, but you could say that about loads of drivers who won the WDC. Mansells Williams had Active Suspension for example when the rest of the field didnt. F1 is about innovation and sometimes the right piece of innovation leads to a driver getting a good chance to win a WDC. They still have to go out there and deliver the race perform and score the required points.
  • Still lucky the team was literally finished until
    Brawn stepped in
    The Forum Herald™
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My argument isn't about button, it was about which young prospect are we comparing Bottas against when we say he's a busted flush? No one, other than rosberg (in an effort that drove him from the sport) in a year when Hamilton suffered from terrible reliability, has proven themselves as "the next big thing". I include button in that. No denying he did well, but if you don't think he got lucky with his WDC I don't think there is much more I can say to convince you otherwise.
  • Mazepin been told off for inappropriate now deleted Instagram video of him touching a womans breasts without concent. Anyway daddy will give has some more millions to make them forget about it. Afterall this is thendriver who finished 5th in F2 championship but daddys billions got him a f1 seat.
  • My argument isn't about button, it was about which young prospect are we comparing Bottas against when we say he's a busted flush? No one, other than rosberg (in an effort that drove him from the sport) in a year when Hamilton suffered from terrible reliability, has proven themselves as "the next big thing". I include button in that. No denying he did well, but if you don't think he got lucky with his WDC I don't think there is much more I can say to convince you otherwise.

There was luck involved. Theres always luck involved with most drivers who win WDC. Lewis got lucky with Mercedes when everyone thought he was mental to leave Mclaren for them. Button got lucky with the Brawn. Seb got lucky with the RB.

I don't think Bottas is a busted flush, he just worn down by going up against one of the greats of the sport. I maintain Russell would be as worn down going up against lewis.

The next big thing may not have appeared on the grid just yet. It might not be max.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Mazepin been told off for inappropriate now deleted Instagram video of him touching a womans breasts without concent. Anyway daddy will give has some more millions to make them forget about it. Afterall this is thendriver who finished 5th in F2 championship but daddys billions got him a f1 seat.

Wait until his daddy buys him a team, gives him the updates first despite clearly being the second best driver then throws out the best driver to make way for some old has been who spins more than he scored points
    The Forum Herald™
  • Derek Warwick or Mark Blundell perhaps ?
  • It is rather worrying what is happening to F1, drivers from working class/average backgrounds are becoming few and far between. Its all rich kids who arent necessarily the most talented but get enough racing points to get into f1 via daddy paying millions to get them there. If they arent good enough then daddy can buy the team or a majority stake in the team and eventually somehow buy them a WDC.
  • it's always been a rich kids' game. those from genuine humble, working class beginnings are few and far between. Even then, if they aren't bankrolled by a major sponsor by the time they get to their teens they're going nowhere.

I saw Perez complaining about 'not all the best drivers in F1' the other day, and while i'm sympathetic to his situation and agree he is a good driver, he's also effectively been a pay driver his whole career due to the huge amount of sponsorship he brings with him. The irony of him being replaced by Vettel is that I'd guess Vettel is more of a net cost to the team than Perez was, even if Perez is a better driver currently.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Getting sponsored is the way it should be or getting into an academy. Having billionaire daddys buy you a seat is annoying. Then again you have doors opening for drivers based on who their fathers were in the sport.

Apparently the reason for getting Perez out and Vettel in is so Stroll Jnr can learn from Vettel as the ultimate aim is for Stroll Jnr to become a WDC, thats why daddy invested in the team.

Still think its a complete no brainer to put Perez in the RB. He brings huge sponsorship money which would be useful to RB as they plan to take over the Honda engines. Perez could teach Max a thing or two about managing tyres. As Button taught Lewis when they were teammates. As one mclaren race engineer put it. "..Lewis was always stupidly fast, but he learnt from Button to drive stupidly fast by going as slow as possible and preserving the life of his tyres..." . Something like that.

Anyway other than learning a thing or two off the seasoned and wiley fox that is Perez. Perez would be a constant thorn in the side of the Mercs and help RB with points and strategy. Max cant go up against 2 mercs by himself.
  • Perez would give RB a much better chance of winning the constructors championship, and give Max a shot at the drivers. Hes 4th, having missed 2 races with Covid, and scored points in all except the last but one when his car blew up at the end.
  • If i was RB, i'd ditch Kvyat from Alpha, move Albon back there, and bring in Perez.

Does Kvyat bring a lot of money? I wonder if RB a bit stuck in that they don't want to drop him and lose the money for Alpha, but also don't want to kick Albon out altogether...so instead are hoping he comes good at RB.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yeah, it's looking incredibly short sighted of Racing Point to get rid of him, I hope it comes back to sting them.

This may sound incredibly bitter (it is) but I hope Stroll never wins a race in F1. He comes across as a bit of a twat plus I absolutely hate that level of entitlement.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    If I was RB I would have have used the end of this mixed up year to either move MV to AT alongside DK (which would be my preference, albeit would have derailed MV's bid for second in the WDC that he seems to have done on his own as it happens) or move DK back to Red Bull alongside MV: this would pit PG directly against AA for a few races and also help to provide a comparison between the current RB and AT cars. Conclusions that could be drawn: if PG was to beat AA (especially in a RB given that PG isn't familiar with the current team), PG is shown to be demonstrably better than AA so a suitable decision can be made on their future drives; if MV in an AT was to beat both AA and PG in the RB, it confirms that he is indeed very impressive, but also that the AT car may be not that much worse than the current RB - DK being faster in the RB than AT would be useful, if less conclusive.
  • Intersting idea. Could you imagine Horner breaking that news to Max. Ha ha!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!