The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • I place a hex on thee whom shop at cex after my experience working for them. A hex! A hex, I tell thee! A cexhex!
  • It's rare I take the side of "fuck em", but truly, fuck them.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-10-gameseek-goes-into-liquidation-leaving-angry-customers-out-of-pocket

They were the ones with the 199 Switch pre-order, and crazy timed lightning deals that never ever ever actually worked. This is what happens when you combine a terrible experience for the customer and sneaky tactics and terrible decisions.

Anyways..
  • Forgot about that Switch deal, yeah fuck those guys.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I always felt there was something not quite cromulent about GameSeek, going back to before the Switch and Cyclonic Deal stuff. I never came close to actually ordering anything from them.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I remember these guys, I preordered radiant historia from them for £24.99, about 2 months before release. A few days before release, they send an email saying they have no stock. Which would be annoying, except for the fact their website had it in stock still, with the price £34.99. I contacted them and was told that I could re-order it for £34.99, which I obviously didn’t because fuck that.

Luckily Grainger games still had some, and at a pretty cheap price, and sent it out for release day. Which sucks as they both went under the same way, despite one being obviously better than the other.
  • Tesco are closing their Tesco Direct online service claiming it can't make it profitable.
    How the fuck can they not make that site profitable?
  • There's no gameshops left in Ireland bar a smattering of independents, and Gamestop.

Tesco do carry a little but its always shite, I don't think they do their cheap COS at launch thing any more either.

Gamestop is often more expensive than PSN at launch. Often new release are €75
    And always for second hand games.

Back in the 360 days, I had no problem going in and dropping a 50 note on a game.
    in Ps4 era, it's 65-75, and the fucking disc has to install so I run out of HDD space anyway.

Absolute load of shite.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In Belfast we have a GAME, a CEX and a Ca$h Converters. There's a small indie shop too which is rather good but that's about it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Tesco are closing their Tesco Direct online service claiming it can't make it profitable. How the fuck can they not make that site profitable?
    BBC are saying they just couldn't compete with Amazon, which makes sense. I've not thought about using them for years. 

I remember they used to do the big releases at a decent price, especially at Christmas, but they regularly failed to even dispatch them.
  • kneecap wrote:
    There's no gameshops left in Ireland bar a smattering of independents, and Gamestop. Tesco do carry a little but its always shite, I don't think they do their cheap COS at launch thing any more either. Gamestop is often more expensive than PSN at launch. Often new release are €75 And always for second hand games. Back in the 360 days, I had no problem going in and dropping a 50 note on a game. in Ps4 era, it's 65-75, and the fucking disc has to install so I run out of HDD space anyway. Absolute load of shite.

There's still the Cex stores located around, plenty in Dublin. Although not sure they count as game shops as opposed to second hand shops that stock games.
    SFV - reddave360
  • There’s nothing in oxford barring a very small GAME section in the corner of a WHSmiths and a CEX that is in a horrible part of town that I don’t like going to.

Nearest proper video game store is a GAME that’s about 15 miles away but fuck driving that far just for overpriced second hand titles.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Tesco are closing their Tesco Direct online service claiming it can't make it profitable.
    Oh, great.

Tesco wrote:
    I have pre-ordered a game will I still receive this?

If your pre-order is due to arrive by 9 July, we’ll still deliver it as scheduled.

If your pre-order is scheduled for delivery after this date, we’ll unfortunately need to cancel your order and issue a refund directly to your account.

If that’s the case, we’ll send you an email to confirm this, so please make sure your contact details are up to date in your account.

I ordered Spider-man in August 2016. It should’ve been out by now. When does it come out? 7 September. It was the only new-new game (besides PS+ stuff) that I had allowed myself to get this year, because it was already bought and paid for.

Smelly Tesco.

I swear, something’s got to go right for me pretty soon.
  • (I am aware of the shittiness of complaining about not getting a game when people are potentially losing their jobs, btw.)
  • Fuck-a-doodle-doo. Just got the refund email from Tesco.

I ordered Horizon: Zero Dawn and Spider-man together, as part of a 2 for £80 deal, with a £10 off when you spend more than x amount voucher... so, £35 each for two new games. That’s the only reason I was buying them.

Except, of course, Tesco are cancelling the order, which cancels the deal. So, I’m only getting £26 back, because they’ve now charged me full-whack (£44) for Horizon.
  • Oooof, that's a joke.
  • Just got my PSVR replaced by Game in store. Took them a while to verify the fault, but they processed it despite not getting through to their service line. Props to the staff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What BS, @andy. That sucks.
  • That's bollocks that Andy. I'd kick off at them on the social meeja.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Yeah, surely they'll sort that out if you have a moan.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Shit, just posted without reading anything first, that is proper shit of them. They should at least have offered to let you return Horizon for a full refund.
  • That's Games Centre folded. Only indie in my town, older brother used to work there, used to get all my PS2/XBOX/Gamecube games there. Shame :(
  • Is Game in trouble again?

Popped into my local store to pick up a copy of Far Cry 3 remastered..

fuck me apart from pre-order stuff there's not a single new game on the shelf for PS4. No chart. No A to Z.. just shelf after shelf of used games.

The Switch bit had some new games.. and a load of really old pre-paid DLC boxes.. but nothing up to date.. All seems a bit desperate again.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah but if you want a Pokémon plush or some energy drink where else can you go?
  • But Mike Ashley is involved, how can they be in trouble?
  • Don't know.. Presumably in an ideal world everyone would pre-order their new games and impulse purchases would all be your used stock?

It just seems a bit desperate not to have any new cars out on display.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    New cars? I know Game has been trying to diversify its product lines, but that seems pretty extreme.
  • Funnily enough I’ve been in Bath the last few days and spotted a Game, went in for a browse with the kids as I haven’t been in one for a while and had exactly the same experience. There was some new stuff dotted around in odd places, but mostly was all preowned stuff and branded accessories.

I’ve never disliked Game personally (maybe because I worked there for 3 years) but felt as if there was no reason for it to be there. Bit sad really.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    New cars? I know Game has been trying to diversify its product lines, but that seems pretty extreme.

Freudian slip in work mate.. cut me in half do I not bleed quality reliable motors and knock down prices?
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!