The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • When the APF (Amazon Private Force) robots become self sufficient and start killing us all, as my face hits the dirt and I see my family and kids getting slaughtered, I'll think "ahhh I should've bought Yakuza 6 from Grainger"...
  • Weird, I think I got a cached version of the website, had to search for the thread, it then insisted I logged in despite already being so.

In other news, you may have to start returning your VHS recorders, Rumbelows are teetering...
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    When the APF (Amazon Private Force) robots become self sufficient and start killing us all, as my face hits the dirt and I see my family and kids getting slaughtered, I'll think "ahhh I should've bought Yakuza 6 from Grainger"...

I literally did buy Yakuza 0 from Grainger as it was the only place that had stock when it sold out after launch. It's not my fault!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Anyone know how Grainger Games is doing?

Genuinely large part of my childhood there. Pretty sure I got Conker from them for example. Hope they survive.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a Grainger Games.
  • Its a northern thing, like butter pies and racism.

And heavy handed moderating.
    The Forum Herald™

Hey feck that. The Irish have perfectly good racism of our own I'll have you know.

SFV - reddave360
  • Love this place.
  • B&b that is, not Athena. Are they still going?
  • It's not all bad, though: I just discovered John Menzies is still going strong. They just won't sell you a newspaper any more.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    B&b that is, not Athena. Are they still going?

Of course, where else do people buy the tennis bum posters?

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Grainger Games has shut down a third of their stores as of this morning.

Worksop, Northwhich, Sale, Breeston, Salford, Altrincham, Widness, Stretford, Whitley Bay, Wakefield, Castloeford, Selby, Dewsbury, Hyde, Oldham, Thornaby, Huddersfield, Durham, Washington, Billingham and Chesterfield.

Their website is down and they haven't been fulfilling orders, with staff in stores being encouraged to exchange the value for stuff in store.

Source.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Sounds like they're doomed.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The existing owners are looking to sell a proportion or all of their shares according to articles.

This is a shame for high street games retail and probably indicative of the problems on the high street in general, with lower overall operating costs (and aggressive tax avoidance accounting), online competition is really starting to bite. I had a quick look at their last published accounts the other day (the excitement never ends in my house), and over a year ago they had begun structured cost cutting measures to lower their overheads, they weren’t throwing money all over the place. Director/owner salaries weren’t overly excessive and they didn’t pay themselves a dividend from their shares.

Where they did seem to fall down was their risk register. Whilst they had identified issues such as online competition, they didn’t seem to have any decent mitigations in place, such as diversification, differentiation or any concrete strategy to keep the business a going concern. They didn’t seem to have taken into account the potential for digital to really take off in the past few months as it has (thinking here of cases like Destiny 2 and COD where their digital sales were much higher than expected).

But I suppose, where do you go from selling games?
  • Playing games, but Game has already got a foothold there, and I don't think they would be in the financial position to invest in it anyway. I've not got one anywhere near me, did they sell gaming related tat?
  • Yes, and they did the phone/tablet trade in thing too.

The only thing they did do which was strange was burn through £800k in cash during the year, which put them in a poor cash position, but we can see the upshot of that now. No cash, no extended credit at the bank, therefore no money to fulfil orders or pay staff.
  • Lads, I've got it. Sell games cheaper, and offer higher trade in prices!
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Only ordered 2 games from Grainger last week. Got one, the other is suddenly not being sent yet despite being in stock. Was only a couple of quid mind you.
  • That's Grainger Games gone then. All remaining stores ordered to close.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I just don't think there is a large enough market for physical media anymore.

Sea of Thieves is a sign of the times. Many just got it through game pass and those that went to the shop and bought it were treated with what may as well have been a blank disc.

Where people do buy physical sales are being eroded by online and supermarkets.

The market has gone. GAME and to a lesser extent HMV are on borrowed time as well. If there is no new hardware at E3 (very likely there won't be) then GAME are going to be tight again, they have been lucky in the past few years with various VR and console iterations fueling sales.
  • Ah, that's really shitty.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a Grainger Games.

And it seems I never will.
  • All these businesses have been badly managed over the years. Don't know what they expected. Constantly clutching at straws. Fucking everybody over on price and treating staff like shit, taking away responsibilities. Fuck em.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    All these businesses have been badly managed over the years. Don't know what they expected. Constantly clutching at straws. Fucking everybody over on price and treating staff like shit, taking away responsibilities. Fuck em.

Also a valid point.

• As three1ne said, fucking customers over price is why businesses like these go to the wall. I pop into GAME to have a look but i wont spend a penny in there. Also since they stopped price matching cex i have even less reason to go in.

Maybe you can't run a videogames high street shop profitability anymore without diverging into videogame related tat.

i still believe if videogames were priced realistically on the high street, they'd shift enough volume to be profitable.

i still prefer physical games over digital as i can sell them when im done.
  • They can't compete on price. That's a race to the bottom that will be won by the people who don't care, supermarkets and Amazon.
  • Being undercut by supermarkets, Amazon is how it is. Big business. Big bollocks. Big tax dodging bollocks. Its a fucking mess but the customer is used to these prices so the answer isn't to stick to unrealistically high prices.
  • They can't compete on price. That's a race to the bottom that will be won by the people who don't care, supermarkets and Amazon.

Exactly.  We have this same conversation every month in here about how fucking evil Game are, what with their rip off pricing and outdated shops.  

Their shops stink and are outdated because they don't make enough money from selling games to re-invest in the front end of the retail experience.  Amazon can sell games cheaper as they don't have the same overhead costs to profit margins as a high street retailer and robots don't have the minimum wage (until the uprising).  Supermarkets don't give a fuck and have them in stock just to up yer average spend or make you buy a pizza and a bit of booze when fifa comes out.

The one beacon is the upsurge in Waterstones ability to reinvent and start turning profit for the first time in years but then they've also benefitted from people turning off (a bit) from e-readers.  Perhaps there is a place for a sole nationwide retailer turning a modest yearly profit from high street stores but i dunno - i don't see it myself.  Its not the evil people in charge or poor management that have caused Game to fail.  It's market conditions changing around them that they have no control over.  I  mean, we're probably only one gen off disc-less machines anyway.  What're they gonna sell then?  Not much stuff as we recognise as a game shop now, perhaps destination gamer coffee shops with bulk purchases of the scary looking energy drinks that the young guzzle down.
  • There have been bad decisions made constantly at HMV and Game when I worked there over 10 years ago. Their hands were tied no doubt but all ideas were pissing into the wind. HMV had their failed 'spotify' like service. One of the main selling points when pushing it was to get the customer into the shop with their ipod so we could upload their digital copy of a digital album they've just bought in store to their ipod.

They come in store.

To buy a digital copy (available online)

Then we take their ipod and upload it for them.

There isn't a place for these stores anymore. Simple as. High Street has been dying out for years. Nothing new. Terrible that staff will be losing jobs but it's to be expected.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!