The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yoss, I don't think that Andy's post was exhaustive.

He’s still reaching back years for a second example, not weeks, not months. It doesn’t have to be exhaustive for that to be a bad sign.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Argos has adjusted quite well I feel. Their website works really well and the click and collect gives the immediacy if you want that. I also like the way it will find it for you in an alternative branch.

You can reserve and call in to have a look at it , or you can buy and collect.

The fact that their network of shops integrate with eBay and Amazon shows they are at least looking for opportunities.

You largely still have to know what you want but searching for stuff is quite good.

Each thing on its own isn't all that much - but it's put together very well.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Argos have done great, I would argue they are the best they have ever been from a customer perspective.

They are my go to if I want something that day and the prices are good as well.
  • Argos used the be fucking awful, but I'm happy to use them now.
  • Yoss, it’s an example that immediately came to mind and best made my point.

However, you are right that the experience I’m talking about isn’t one that most of us need every day. But enough of us need it often enough for it to still be required and sustainable.

You’ll note, though, that my post wasn’t about sustaining the current level of retail. It was about massively scaling back the current levels, but investing in staff to make its presence invaluable.
  • There is a lot of talk in that sort of area about making stockless stores.
    So Andy would go in, listen to his speaker, pick a set he liked, pay and have them delivered within 24 hours.
    Will work for a lot of stuff, especially high end and/or bulky purchases which cause the biggest stocking headaches taking up expensive square footage and creating financial risk.
  • Anyone who enjoys the IKEA "experience" is off their head.
  • Yeah, but there are plenty of them.
  • I quite like the Ikea experience, if the shop is quiet. You can browse, you can pick stuff, you can grab a coffee or some chips or something. 

Just never go when there are other people.
  • Yes, plenty of people are off their heads.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I just eat the meatballs and jam while Mrs Pea looks at tealight jar things.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Last time I was forced to go to Ikea they had a display - what they called a "social hub". Which is a kitchen, dining , sitting area.

I loathe the use of the word "hub" which is a buzzword in work at the minute used by people who haven't a clue what they are talking about.

So it seems I have a social hub at home - when I saw the Ikea display I experienced the faint taste of vomit in my mouth.
  • IKEA is just the worst store I’ve been to. Horrible. And they have a really shit cafe with shit cheap food. 

At least the furniture be bought was good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Good furniture in Ikea? Where do they hide that?
  • On the shelves.
  • Ikea stuff is really good for the masses. Easy to forget how we used to lump it with MFI shite.

Personally I prefer to be a bit more unique and am fazing out Ikea stuff, I still like their soft furnishings mind. I prefer hunting through charity furniture shops and buying mid century, solid wood stuff. Although I have just bought a couple of lockers and bookcases from Ikea for the office.

Quality furniture on a budget or mid range lacking that desire for unique it is perfect. Well designed and well made given materials.
  • It’s the first time we’ve ever bought IKEA and I’m pleasntly surprised is all. Our past stuff is a John Lewis or Oak Furniture Land etc ie solid hardwood stuff. But we don’t wanna spend that kinda money anymore. Not on kids’ room furniture anyway.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It is what it is. The shelving units house my game collection in my "little boys room". We also got a unit for housing the Virgin box and console sitting beneath a wall mounted 50" in our "social hub". When used sparingly it's fine.

It may not be to everyone's tastes but it's decent enough furniture and the prices are usually pretty good.
  • My kitchen units are Ikea. After nine years, a couple of the dampeners for the cupboard doors closing have lost their, um, dampiness, but they’re optional parts, easily and cheaply replaced. Everything else is still great.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's really very little difference between kitchen units unless you are going for a small indie company using reclaimed wood.

Outside that the carcasses are more or less the same - the doors and handles are the differentiator. It's all about getting a good fitter to put it in.
  • Next place I get will be longer term so I will redo the kitchen and I don't want fitted.

Not sure exactly what it will be yet but I suspect a mix of reclaimed 50s/60s units and custom made stuff.

Ikea do some amazing kitchens for the price though. Would happily go there for fittings.
  • I mean I think Ikea is fantastic but I got this 1960s solid wood dressing table (mine is slightly different as the side draws angle inward by 10 degrees, bottom middle draw is same height as top drawer to make leg space)

£25. Just needs new screws on the mirror bracket, a polish and an airing.

25 quid!!!

What is that in John Lewis? 400?
    3.jpg
  • That's hideous.
  • You pay for quality, Liv... x ;)
  • Unlikely wrote:
    That's hideous.

Looks a bit archaic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Would look great in 1977.

Looks in great nick though - is it vintage? I depends how the the rest of the room looks - quite often a piece like that will fit in just fine.

We still have a couple of pieces of furniture we bought mid 90s when Mexican pine was popular. We have reduced it down to two - a large drinks cabinet (think there's a shot of it in the Whiskey thread) and a console table. They still fit in reasonably well with the change in décor - sort of...
  • Would look great in a fire.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You can't airbrush good taste out of history you know......
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Would look great in a fire.

I enjoyed this.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Would look great in a fire.

Lol. 

It bit like the trend shabby chic. No mate it’s just shabby shit,
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!