The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • I'm sure that'll thrill the owners of property in town.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Better to keep them all boarded up then, innit?
  • Charity shops mate and pop up Dominos is the way forward. No one needs any more fucking coffee shops.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We’ve got a community cafe up the road from us. It’s a bit more than another coffee shop.

http://hillstation.org.uk
  • No offence mate but that looks fucking awful. I expect it's full of Guardian readers and lesbians.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It almost certainly is as that reflects the community that it serves. I’m sure that if one opened in your community it would reflect the people who live there and be filled with Bobs. Wouldn’t that be lovely?
  • There is space for at least one of every type of retailer on the high street but they have to offer something online can't.
    Knowledge, speed, reliability and services. 
    The problem with most of these companies that are getting in trouble is they haven't adapted to shopper habits.

It's all about destination and experience now. Make Maplin the go to destination for electronics and repairs. Through cuts in earnings and greener mentality I can see electronics repairs making a real come back in the next decade, the throw away culture isn't sustainable. Maplins could be ahead of the curve, hire semi retired sparkys and kids out of college.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It almost certainly is as that reflects the community that it serves. I’m sure that if one opened in your community it would reflect the people who live there and be filled with Bobs. Wouldn’t that be lovely?

Wouldn't know mate. I'd be in Starbucks where hopefully no one is supporting fair trade.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Clothes I like to see before I buy. I think literally every other shop can die and I'll be fine with it. Maybe the odd co-op here and there in case I want a snack. And some coffee shops obviously.

Most shops are now pointless middle-men getting in the way and adding their 50%.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Also, if you really think that the world has enough coffee shops, maybe don’t spend money with the coffee shop with the most aggressive expansion rate in the world.

Just a thought.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Starbucks now sell capsules for Nespresso machines. Actually a bit cheaper than in Tescos too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • TRU have definitely gone. Fingers crossed for a buyer, but it doesn't look good.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Clothes I like to see before I buy. I think literally every other shop can die and I'll be fine with it. Maybe the odd co-op here and there in case I want a snack. And some coffee shops obviously. Most shops are now pointless middle-men getting in the way and adding their 50%.

Maybe for yourself but I can think of plenty of retail that people want a hands on experience with.

TV and Audio, people like to sample these in store as it is impossible to do so from home.
    Make-up is often bought in store because people want advice.
    Boots Pharmacy is basically the GPs office these days.
    Shops like Savers and Bodycare that offer toiletries at prices that beat supermarkets but would be costly to deliver.
    Clintons etc, Moonpig has it's market but many like to hand select cards as they are a very personal thing. Chuck florists in there as well.
    Mobile phone stores often offer better deals than online and their high street presence is key to the brand.
    Key cutters, at least one on most high streets, you arent gonna send your keys to Amazon to do it.
    Butchers, Bakers, Fish Mongers, green grocers all offer expert advice and normally a better quality product to supermarkets.
    Ethnic food stores offer a wide range of stock not available in supermarkets and expensive to order online, or impossible in terms of fresh ingredients,they also act as hubs for immigrant populations.
    Jewelers, same thing as clothes, people want to look at what they are buying, try it on and it is a big risk to trust the post on these things.

Toys R us are failing because they offer nothing that online doesn't. The toys are in packaging so they can't be experienced, may as well be in a warehouse.
    Maplin's tech knowledge has gone down over the years and it's normally a pain in the arse to find what I want. I dont gain anything from looking at a cable in a box that I wouldn't from looking at a picture online. What I need is for someone to tell me it is the correct cable and if it will or wont solve my problem.
  • WorKid wrote:
    TRU have definitely gone. Fingers crossed for a buyer, but it doesn't look good.

Maplin too, no? PwC hired as admin. No buyer. At least that’s what I’ve heard.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Toys R us are failing because they offer nothing that online doesn't.

I’ll be very sad to see it go. Lots of fond memories of shopping there (my local superstore) as a youngster. As a teenager, falling for one of the cute staff.

And now having good times there with my kids. They love it. Something I can’t do online. Very sad.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Toys R us are failing because they offer nothing that online doesn't.
    n

I’ll be very sad to see it go. Lots of fond memories of shopping there (my local superstore) as a youngster. As a teenager, falling for one of the cute staff.

And now having good times there with my kids. They love it. Something I can’t do online. Very sad.

Yeah, we have Smyth here which my daughter loves. But I think liveinadive is right when he says they need to change a bit. Kids interact with the toy market through YouTube and online now so a purely visual pos isn't enough. Having display toys for kids to try out might be a step forward.

I'd also agree with liveinadive on his list of what shops are still better with a physical presence. Food for me is very much tactile and you need to smell your fruit and veg too. Wouldn't trust an online picker.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah good list Liv. You're right none of them things interest me, although I do buy cards from the Card Factory twice a year.

Mobile phone shops mystify me. Swindon high street has about ten. And there's a Virgin shop AND one of them wee stall things. Who buys Broadband in a shop? I had an issue with my Bb once and went in to see if they could help, literally they sat me on the sofa, dialled, and passed the phone over so I could speak to the call centre.
  • davyK wrote:
    Starbucks now sell capsules for Nespresso machines. Actually a bit cheaper than in Tescos too.

I get my capsules from M&S because I get M&S vouchers through work so it's effectively free.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Reading the news this morning has made me extremely happy I am no longer in retail. Smug relief, almost. I feel bad but I have been there, its absolutely horrible to go through.
  • Ethnic food store lol. It’s ok, I know what is meant by that.
  • I think the issue Toys R us have is that people take their kids, kids love it and get treated to something small around the £10 mark.
    Then Xmas and birthdays come and parents order online from Amazon instead because it's cheaper and easy to get delivered to work

Phone shop thing. I think it is brand presence is a big part of it, still mystifies me why people sign up to broadband there though but they do. Phone sellers innit, they are like cut rate estate agents.
    There is a crossroads halfway up the high street here that I actively avoid because it has bell ends selling broadband aggressively. They are all dressed like they are in the apprentice as well. Stick them in a polo shirt and a fleece and I may believe they have something cheap to offer, in a suit they look overpaid.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ethnic food store lol. It’s ok, I know what is meant by that.

Place bloody stinks!
  • Come to Enfield. There’s an ‘ethnic store’ on every corner! Part of Enfield anyway. Some real nice stuff though in some of them as you say. Nice to just walk in a get some baklava or Turkish bread.
  • Sad news about Maplin. I always worry a bit when useful shops close down. All the local hardware stores have given up in recent years, so now if I need a lightbulb or a bag of screws I have to drive to B&Q. Maplin’s the only place to buy electrical bits and bobs – where will I go for cable ties, spare fuses and A/V connectors now?

Online is all well and good, but not when something breaks and you need to fix it right away. A few practical shops are essential, in my opinion.
  • We have plenty of Polish stores here but not that interested in their offerings, a very disappointing Italian store, a few Indian-Asian stores which are good for spices. Used to go to an amazing Chinese supermarket in Milton Keynes on an industrial estate, had loads on offer and a brilliant restaurant/takeaway attached.

What's the correct cover all term? World store suggests global cuisine. I did settle on 'ethnic' after struggling.

@Pop
    We have a great little hardware shop here called Goldings.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-41362495/how-a-family-shop-has-survived-150-years-on-the-high-street
  • Footfall and sales is one thing, but I wonder if rising rental prices etc have been part of the problem too. Anyone know if there’s been a big trend upwards of rent?

Local train station convenience shop shut down last year cos council increased rent and shop owner couldn’t make much money unless he put lots of prices up which he didn’t want to do. So he packed up and left, went elsewhere I think. So now there is a boarded up shop at the station. Dammit.

• Yeah, we had a brilliant place right in the city centre called Crockets. Small hardware, kitchen gear, and (bizarrely) shooting and hunting stuff. Founded in the 1870s. Closed down a couple of years ago and I’m still not really over it.
  • Local councils don’t do enough to generate footfall in town centres. Newcastle’s great, there’s loads of benefits to going into town centre vs metro centre or an out of town place, parking’s free After 5 and the Metro’s pretty handy. When I visit Hudds you can’t even park in the town centre for a reasonable price. Last time I tried the pay and display it was either pay for 3 hours or 5. It's a horrible town centre now compared to what it used to be. Just loads of pound shops and bookies.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Parking in town here is ridiculously expensive. it's £2.20 for an hour. No change given. Bastards.
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!