The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • A lot of people over here are fans of a big tax on idle buildings - sadly none in the elected parties. But it would be a good way to either force owners to do something with the building or at least get some money off them for the benefit of society in some form.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I’m not sure ...people who own property clearly don’t mind it going derelict
    The Forum Herald™
  • Debenhams website is getting smashed as people try to pickup bargains in the firesale.
  • Bit mental buying goods on-line from a business in administration. What happens if your delivery doesn't appear,
  • I know you cant do returns but not sure what happens if goods dont arrive. Should be covered by credit card protection.
  • This is PTSD* but fuck them. If they have to create an account to complete the order, cancel it. Were never buying from them before.

*It still irks to this day, the guy who, mere hours after I found out via fb my work was going into administration, was asking me all puzzled "mate... wherrr's aw ra deals??"
    "Eh?"
    "like... aw ra deals n that, like, cos yer goin bust n that"

Oh if looks could've killed that day.
  • Do Debenhams even have anything reduced yet?
    Normally takes a bit of time to set prices and decide what is sale or return.
  • Just had a look, its the standard sale prices not fire sale prices.
  • Also I thought credit card protection was only on goods over £100, I may be wrong but when I looked into claiming for some trainers that never arrived I didnt seem to be covered.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I remember going into BHS in the last few days. In my defence I had just moved and needed home stuff, I'm not one for picking a carcass normally.

Christ it was depressing. I dont think I would do it again. It would be even worse now, knowing there is piss all chance of the staff getting another job any time soon.
  • I went into a branch of Game yesterday, to offload an old Xbox console. I had to waste time in there while they checked it was working, so I had a good look around. And … I can’t tell what they actually exist for any more.

Gaming’s gone digital. The majority of shelf space in that shop is for empty game boxes. But who’s still buying those games on disc? The only customers were a couple of parents buying second-hand titles for kids. There was a lot of cheap merch tat. Their section for Lego was bigger than any of the game sections. They had no new consoles to sell – there’s no stock of the new generation machines – so second-hand consoles is all they had. Plus a couple of Switches, I admit.

I dunno … I can't see these shops lasting much longer. If their main business is ending up just being shifting cheap T-shirts and toys alongside second hand consoles, it doesn’t feel very sustainable any more.
  • Game have been doomed for a long time.
  • I'm sure they make a pretty penny off parents of younguns wanting to be streamers with more money than sense. Quite how often they come in is another thing.
  • They had a whole shelf of the incredibly expensive Bang & Olufsen Xbox headphones. Which I don’t think your average Game customer is really looking for. Who the hell makes their stock decisions?
  • Prankster101
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Hasn't uploaded anything to his site since September 2019, can't find him on twitter either.
  • Time for a game of “Where’s Pranky?”
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • How have we got by without this amazing content.
  • poprock wrote:
    They had a whole shelf of the incredibly expensive Bang & Olufsen Xbox headphones. Which I don’t think your average Game customer is really looking for. Who the hell makes their stock decisions?

The margin on headsets is one of the biggest of any product Game sell. In some cases 60-70%.

That £450 hedset will make the £100-£300 sets look cheap by comparison as well.
  • The margin’s interesting. They really didn’t have that sort of mid-range stock - plenty under £100 then straight up to the £450 B&Os.

Most interesting thing in the shop was a Capcom console in the second hand cabinet. That giant logo with joysticks. Two hundred quid though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Last time I went into GAME was to get a new Switch with controllers and MK8.

Before that I bought Harry Potter Trivial Pursuit for the daughters Christmas 2019. I picked up cheap Atari branded mugs in the New Year.

It stopped being relevant to me a long time ago. I find it a deeply depressing shop to go into now. A far cry when the buzz of Dreamcast's Ready 2 Rumble in the demo pods had a crowd assembled.

Mainstream gaming has become commoditised. There isn't much to differentiate on so what's the point of a shop?  It's hard to blame GAME for that really.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I’m definitely not blaming Game at all, just questioning whether game shops in general have any future. I think they’re done for, probably. One of the early casualties of the high street’s decline.

The parents and grandparents still buying new boxed games for kids are getting them from Tesco etc now, while they’re out getting the birthday cake and a pair of socks.
  • They have a really good selection of switch games which is nice to browse through as the online store is rammed with so much shit it’s almost unusable unless you know what your looking for
    The Forum Herald™
  • Hahaha, that's actually quite good.

The Nintendo eShop - so shit it makes browsing in Game seem wonderful.
  • It’s a genuinely new marketing approach, I’ll give it that.
  • After 48 hours I have to say I'm not finding the xbox store to be much better?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The parents and grandparents still buying new boxed games for kids are getting them from Tesco etc now, while they’re out getting the birthday cake and a pair of socks.

A return to early form. My Mega Drive copy of OutRun came from Boots, but they only had a few games. I'm not sure they had Sonic, even (or they did but I already had it), just Altered Beast or similar.

And when my Plus/4 was outdated I'd find tapes all over the place, in some of the weirdest non-game shops. I guess there was a big fire sale. Bought Commando (and Friday the 13th: Part 3) from an indoor market in Carmarthen; Yie Ar Kung-Fu from a haberdashery's glass counter!
  • I remember (my big brother) buying Actraiser for me from John Menzies. Looking back, I feel bad asking him to spend £50 on a game knocking now how much he would’ve been earning a week with a family to support on his own.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I got Excitebike from Boots back in the day, plus many a speccy cassette from the Texaco garage. Memories.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!