The Joy of CEX (and other brick 'n' mortar establishments)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My local newsagent in Glasgow used to rent out Amstrad tapes. Weird
  • I only remember games in actual game shops, not even supermarkets had them I don’t think. Virgin megastore and HMV had them as well I think?

I’m a bit younger I guess so was buying megadrive games with my parents mainly, when I was buying for myself it was around ps1/n64 era. A trip to Watford and there was a Game, EB, gamestation, virgin megastore and HMV all in the same shopping center.

I went there A LOT.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    First experience with a 2600 was in an indie electrical goods shop in Belfast called Erskine Maine - now long gone. They had a 2600 set up with Combat in the TV section. Me, my brother and cousins played on it until we were chucked out.

The Belfast Boots is a 3 floor affair - pretty big. The 1st floor had a game section in the 80s. It's where I got my 2600 and they had a really good stock of cartridges.  They also had an 8bit micro section with all computers of the day set up and running with games loaded. Was quite a thing.

I picked up my 7800 in a furniture shop that had a small TV section. I remember going past the shop on the bus and seeing a 7800 in the window. I got off at the next stop and went back and bought it!! Still have it.  I was trying to get back into 2600 games and this was a great way to do that because it's BC.

I remember supermarkets stocking cheap 8bit micro games on rotatable stands. Picked up quite a few CPC 464 games that way. Thrust and JSW2 to name but two notables. But I got a pile of the Codemasters games that way too.  And later on they released some 2 in 1 tapes - one game on each side. :)

Woolworths in Belfast had a large game section. Consoles up and running including the mighty Colecovision and Vectrex - and a pile of the table top dedicated games like the Nintendo range etc. I'd spend an hour in there many a time.

We used to have a very large toy shop called Leisure world - multi-floor affair and they had a great videogames section too. Bought a pile of 2600 carts in there when they ran a buy 1 get 1 free offer. I picked up Decathlon and Megamania that way. That shop lasted long enough for SNES and MD games to be on sale there but it closed down in the mid 90s.

There was a model shop on the same street and they got into consoles in the SNES/MD era - even selling import games along side remote control planes and Airfix kits.  Next door to that was a small indie Chess set shop! They moved into selling dedicated chess computers etc.  Sigh. Such were the times when a thing like that could exist.

On up the same street on the other side was Edco - an educational stationers - you could buy text books, exercise books, art equipment etc. They had an 8bit micro section for a while too. All set up for demo play. It's where I got my Oric-1.  That was quite a street in the day.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • For me, early games were to be found in the Toy & Computer Shop in the local shopping centre. Mainly a Toy shop (a few transformers and GI Joes were bought there prior to Games becoming my thing). They had a small section for games with the classic Tape rack of cheap pocket-money titles (lots of codemasters) and the real mystery stuff was under a glass display case - Ridiculous sized boxes, the big names like Robocop and Shinobi etc. All at eye watering prices. The real "must-have" were the compilation boxes. 20 quid got you "The In-Crowd" - Oceans big name compilation. All good times and backed up by a guy behind the counter who knew enough that he'd chat with you but not too much that he was condescending to us long lads. 

Memories...
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I joined a mail order computer game club that worked like the old Book of the Month clubs. You got a very good offer to join up - select X games for £1 each or something and then you were committed to buy 4 games a year.

They had a decent selection and if you were smart you got good deals. My highlight was a US Gold compilation in a big box with Leaderboard, Gauntlet, Infiltrator and Ace of Aces.

Last game I got from the club was a Dungeons and Dragons game in a rather nice box that seems to be worth a few bob nowadays. I have no idea what I did with those games. I remember a nice boxed version of Pipemania as well.
  • I remember Boots having games for a while. I bought Robocod on Amiga from Boots.
    I always hated the Toys R Us system where they had the slips of paper and you couldn't handle the boxes.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Had to know what you were doing in the Argos.

Our two-floor Woolies had a gardening section up top. Dunno what they were playin' at. Toys and games at the back, always, with yer pic 'n' mix up front.

regmcfly wrote:
    My local newsagent in Glasgow used to rent out Amstrad tapes. Weird

Sanch.gif
  • The guy in game suggested that if he recognised me I was regular enough to upgrade me reward card to the subscription model.

Reasonable or is he playing me like
    A cheap flappy bird knock off?
    The Forum Herald™
  • What is the subscription model?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You give them a tenner each month and they "recognise" you
    SFV - reddave360
  • Essentially you pay for upgrade reward card and they give you better loyalty so it’s like 10% back ass opposed to the current miserly .5%
    The Forum Herald™
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    You give them a tenner each month and they "recognise" you

Sorry Andy this now surpasses you being blocked
    And made
    My day.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    Essentially you pay for upgrade reward card and they give you better loyalty so it’s like 10% back ass opposed to the current miserly .5%

Why anyone still shops at Game is a mystery to me.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    You give them a tenner each month and they "recognise" you
    ahhahaha. The sheer balls of that offer.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They had a fantastic deal on trade in for a Series S. Knocked £120 off the price in exchange for my worthless OG Bone. Didn't even bundle the console either. Fuck knows what they were thinking with that one. Probably make enough money from the Bobs of the world
  • It will have been funded by Microsoft.
  • It will have been funded by Microsoft.

That makes sense. I was amazed by the trade in I got for my 2 year old bone s against the series s.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Bob wrote:
    Essentially you pay for upgrade reward card and they give you better loyalty so it’s like 10% back ass opposed to the current miserly .5%

Why anyone still shops at Game is a mystery to me.
    There’s no choice here and things rarely get here on day of release and hey he’s my friend he recognises me.
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So called into GAME to pick up a wired pad for Windows 10. (See the Super Meat Boy thread) and witnessed a fundamental issue shops like that have now.

Some middle aged woman, pleading ignorance, with a physical XBOX game in hand, saying her son says the game doesn't work and it just says "searching or something on the screen".  That could of course be the case but it's highly unlikely it's a faulty game.  Crap wifi more likely.

No doubt the brat didn't like the game,  uninstalled it and sent mother back to  play the innocent act and asking for "just a refund" (with a receipt). 

Fuck that filter feeder behaviour, not that it costs the shop a huge amount??? I doubt there is much markup in it - given the amount of tat they sell there now.
  • Unfortunately I think Game is on borrowed time now.
    They need to be retaining what customers they still have.

In this situation I would give the refund because if they dont then that woman is never buying from Game again. She truly believes she has a faulty product.
    Take the hit, sell it as preowned and it will only be the difference between trade in value and refunded price. Thats if they dont have a faulty product deal with the supplier.
  • There’s no standalone Game shops left in Birmingham. They’ve all disappeared into concessions inside Mike Ashley’s other retailers. It’s been a long slow death.

I went in the House of Fraser one recently. I was looking for Animal Crossing merch for the kid. It was actually completely fine. Reminded me of the old days when Debenhams and the big department stores would have their own game sections. I wouldn’t get anything there myself mind.
  • I miss the days when the guys at my local Game were all actual gamers and we could chat away while I am being served.  Good times.  The Gamestation was even better but soon got bought out and disappeared.

I miss the days (school days!) when CeX was just two stores in the West End.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I have £17.15 in my Game wallet so they better not go anywhere soon.

I still enjoy the joy of browsing physical stock.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I havent been in Game in years but it felt kinda pointless last time.
    CEX at least has some oddities sometimes.

I think the concessions Elf mentions will be more sustainable.
  • Bob wrote:
    I have £17.15 in my Game wallet so they better not go anywhere soon. I still enjoy the joy of browsing physical stock.

Better buy some fucking Funko Pop while you have the chance.

"Look its the guy from The Office but looks nothing like him"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Half their shelf space is now boardgames (which is nice to see actually) , those vinyl big head figures, videogame (ie Nintendo) Lego, cheap (and not so cheap) retro handhelds and mini arcades, and assorted branded tat.

Sign of the times. I'm not sure there is any value in buying a physical XBOX or PS game due to the install/patch time.  Unless of course you want to chance your arm and bring the game back.

They have a healthy Switch section but overall re videogaming it's a rather depressing sight.
  • Ah, I find quite the opposite Drew (Apart from cunts who spend far too long looking at the same spot and can't sense my frustration at them not moving, I also get this in museums when other peoples kids spend to long on an interactive exhibit and don't let anyone else on despite Us hovering but that's another ham wrap story).

I often find with online stores it's great when looking for what you want but a lot less great when you just want to browse what's available. I find the Switch selection in Game often has stuff that I've not known about prior to having a good old browse (admittedly cricking my neck looking at the spines).
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm not against the concept of returning a game - in fact I'd love to see more crap efforts getting rebuffed. I don't know if there is a cancel function on XBL or PS? There is on Steam.

I remember returning some PS1 games same or next day because it was either loadtime ridden shit (Bust A Move 4) or was a high score related game that didn't save high scores (was a pinball game!!!!). This was back when they (EB/GAME) did things like that. Of course that trust would be abused so no way that was going to last.

If online could create an enjoyable browse feature then it would improve matters a great deal - but there isn't anything quite like finding a hidden gem in the wild (as long your phone can be used to check review scores.....)
  • My best memories are of school lunchtimes from September 1991 (start of secondary) of a local indie store calles Games R Us.  They had a few arcades (mostly SF2) and SNES and MD games.  Loved just staring at the games, the dmeo they had on, spending stupid coins on SF2 while eating chips drowned in vinegar.  Fun times.  They shut down a couple of years later, though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!