@_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It's for kids and the child within.  My inner nipper loved it and so did the row of preteens sat glued to a perfectly good Star Wars story. 

Rou dear, it's not faultless but 'dog shite' it aint.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Err... Jyn... Cando Cassilian... Badoo the TIE Pilot... the blind guy - Itylsyn?... the other one - Rybyls?... oh, and the droid, K2-DPO?

They must be on the Spencer side of the family, they ring no bells at all.
  • I don't really give a shit about Star Wars. It was a fun film, that had flaws but I was fine with them.
    It wasn't though. It was dull and shit. If it had been fun and shit, then fine. 

The three categories of Star Wars films are

Genuinely Brilliant - Empire
    Fun and Shit - ANH, Roj, Force Awakens
    Dull and Shit - prequels, Rogue One.

Edit - its harsh on RoJ to be in the shit category because the Luke & Vader stuff is great, but I don't make the rules. Except for this time, when I do.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bompey Poodoo
  • Yossarian wrote:
    In other "sure it's been covered but still" opinions, the not being shot because you're one with the force was a nice touch.

Thought that was dumb as a bag of hammers. If that worked, why did the Jedi and Sith have to train to deflect laser blasts with hands/sabres when they could just walk into battle muttering a mantra and no one could touch them? DUMB. And inconsistent.

Grrrrrrrrr.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Roujin wrote:
    I love Star Wars as well but that doesn't mean I'm going to abandon any form of critique for it when it shoves a pile of dog shit in my face. If anything because I like it, I want it to be given proper care and attention by it's custodians and unfortunately in this instance they have fucked it royally, had a tenner off me for the privilege and two and whatever hours off my life.

Also, THIS.

I reckon that, in a few months, this will be seen as "the one that's better than the Lucas-prequel trilogy but not a patch on the original trilogy or even, for that matter, Episode VII".
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    In other "sure it's been covered but still" opinions, the not being shot because you're one with the force was a nice touch.

Thought that was dumb as a bag of hammers. If that worked, why did the Jedi and Sith have to train to deflect laser blasts with hands/sabres when they could just walk into battle muttering a mantra and no one could touch them? DUMB. And inconsistent.

Grrrrrrrrr.

Three part answer to that: 1. I didn't take it to mean that you are impervious to being shot, especially if 2. the person shooting you is also force sensitive, besides which 3. it looks cool as fuck (and is also a useful offensive weapon, but mainly the cool as fuck thing).
  • My reading of it at the time was that the blind guy wasn't at one with the force at all, he just believed he was and that belief was the thing that empowered him. I guess, on reflection, what he did echoed the scene where Luke faces the floaty droid with the visor down in ANH, so maybe he was a little force-like. I don't mind either way.

Going back to explaining the imperfection in the Death Star design, there's 2 ways of reading it. 1. It was a neat way of explaining why it was there and building a story around it. 2. It was necessary to answer the question of why it was there in the first place. I don't think it's 2. If it was necessary, then it would have happened sooner. There's been plenty of chances to justify the weakness, but it's never been touched before.

I didn't feel like any of the film was shoving Star Wars stuff in my face, but we all see these things differently.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blind guy irks me. It's like they agreed at the start of writing it not to use a Jedi, but a guy that uses the force and a stick instead of a lightsaber is OK.

That, the almost but not quite the same music, cameos, nods, and wonky CGI stuff made it feel like a cheap knock off Star Wars. It was an odd one.
  • the iconic moment when they spent an iconic second focussed on iconic blue drink in an iconic sand hut was beyond the pale and indicative of  all the nonsense.
  • the iconic moment when they spent an iconic second focussed on iconic blue drink in an iconic sand hut was beyond the pale and indicative of  all the nonsense.

Gaaaaah yes! YES EXACTLY.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Apparently I completely missed an iconic second. Passed me by. Too busy looking at all the gorgeous new stuff, I suppose. I reckon this was the best looking SW by a country mile.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Best star wars ever. The originals are shit when not viewed through rose tinted glasses.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I reckon this was the best looking SW by a country mile.

Obviously you haven't seen Episodes IV, V or VII

• Best star wars ever. The originals are shit when not viewed through rose tinted glasses.

Steady on son, that's fightin' talk.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

You mean the films where all of the action takes place in deserts, a jungle, a swamp or the tundra with a few grey spaceship interiors thrown in for good measure? Yep, definitely seen those.
  • To be fair, the originals did look a bit shit until Lucas went back and enhanced them to match his original vision.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, I love the art direction in the originals, the style was fantastic, but the two cities reaching into each other, those fantastic nebulas, the Akira-esque explosions expanding slowly outwards obliterating all in their wake, those images were stunning.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    To be fair, the originals did look a bit shit until Lucas went back and enhanced them to match his original vision.

Get out.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Jaco wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

You mean the films where all of the action takes place in deserts, a jungle, a swamp or the tundra with a few grey spaceship interiors thrown in for good measure? Yep, definitely seen those.

As opposed to Rogue One where it's all set in, oh, a desert planet, jungle planets (including one from Ep. IV) a rocky place that looked like a bad Star Trek TNG set and grey spaceship interiors?

Erm...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Your response was too slow Jim. Look up.
  • You're still wrong, sunshine. One or two interesting visuals that were impossible in the 70s/80s do not a visually stunning and original flick make.

Edit: You're wrong but I still love you Yoss, because fellow SW geek.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Original is far more of a can of worms than I'm willing to wade into here, plus a claim I never made in the first place, which leaves us with the argument that interesting visuals do not make a visually stunning flick, which looks to be an argument about semantics more than anything else.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sorry, semantics plus a dose of subjectivity.
  • Blind guy irks me. It's like they agreed at the start of writing it not to use a Jedi, but a guy that uses the force and a stick instead of a lightsaber is OK.
    Aye. I think I already said this, but they could have played him as more of a sorry/sad thing, where he's desperate to have been some kind of force user but just didn't have enough 'awareness'/talent.  his bro/mate should have been much more his protector in fight scenes, rolling his eyes when he talked about the force etc.  then at the end, in the darkest moment, he does the 'i am one with the force' bit, his bro is all "no, don't, you can't use the force" and the other is like "trust me"...everyone cries and he steps out and does his thing, gets to the switch on his one and only brief force high.
    the iconic moment when they spent an iconic second focussed on iconic blue drink in an iconic sand hut was beyond the pale and indicative of  all the nonsense.
    The problem with this, and the other fan service elements, is the lack of subtlety. They could have just had them sat casually drinking blue milk at some point, but instead it's "focus on the blue milk, hold it....wait...will everyone have seen it yet? HEY, HAS EVERYONE SEEN THE BLUE MILK YET? You know, from ANH? Yeah? Good, ok, move on"
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Sorbin Flakjor (jaw?).
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I didn't see the blue milk.
  • Blind guy did get the best line in the film when they're bagging his head though.
  • Darth Revan - currently sold out at Forbidden Planet. Looks cool.

images via Toyark.
    oycajksgvnk1ibdswrz6.jpg
    kvgnno2cquzcbfdjbhir.jpg
    dfeshtjnhd34cneqknbs.jpg
    bplnwr83ge2042tgqczv.jpg
    besd9bndzbsv4ukhs8ni.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!