SPOILERS Star Wars Last Jedi SPOILERS
  • Just seen it.
    Really liked it.

Leia CG wasn't great technically but seeing into after she died meant I suddenly got an eyelash in my eye.
  • I also just saw this film and it insulted my intelligence. It felt like a George prequel.

Pointless characters, expository dialogue but no actual things to connect characters or build relationships on screen. Just here's a death, here's sad music, feel sad now pls.

Grand Moff Tarkin, Vader, Leia didn't need to be in here. I wanted to see the film that was hinted at in the story trailers, something that looked like a tense, espionage story. I watched the story trailers again just now and they contain what appears to be dialogue and scenes from a totally different film.

I wanted to stand up and boo at the Vader scene at the end.

Cynical wank.

Member vader? Member at-ats? Member Grand Moff Tarkin? Member Saving Private Ryan? Member squiddy guys in rebel officer ranks? Member Jedi mind tricks? Member Alderaan? Member rebel guy on lookout tower in Yavin? Member Star Wars.

Disney are going to fuck this even harder than George, its a miracle JJ Abrams got Episode VII out in the state he did given the fanservice wankathon I just saw.

Utter wank.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So, did you like it or not?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I think someone needs to watch Phantom Menace again to remind themselves how bad it is.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have said this many times. Star wars is hokum and anyone looking for anything above that is going to be disappointed.

The Zatoichi guy would have been a lot better if he had used a light sabre. Odd that wasn't done.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Rouj joins Team Taste.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Have said this many times. Star wars is hokum and anyone looking for anything above that is going to be disappointed.

The Zatoichi guy would have been a lot better if he had used a light sabre. Odd that wasn't done.
    He wasn't a Jedi, and obi wan tells us it's the weapon of one. Mind that for ep4 to work, Jedi can't have been around for a bit.

To your first point - they need to not try to make it any more than that then. This was doing the rounds in publicity as "gritty" and "a war movie." It's neither.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Rouj joins Team Taste.

New bae!?

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Here's a spoiler:

THERE'S NO POST CREDITS SCENE, YOU CAN LEAVE THE CINEMA WHEN THE CREDITS START AND LET THE STAFF GO HOME.

okthanksbye xoxo
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Bet she's the fucking life and soul of a party, Jesus, what a nit picking vole.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Post credits and all in credits stings can fucking die in a bin.

I thought that video was good. It's easy to see how people wanting the film to be something were left cold. There seems to be a lot of choices which are criticised but didn't seem too bad to me (I mean a baby being saved seems a weird criticism because the character was supposed to be cardboard dubious?).

I don't expect much from Star Wars so it seemed fun while I watched it, my hype was around zero, and it was fun to watch just before Christmas (and more fun than flopping at my parents house).

Edit:

Fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun.
  • Bet she's the fucking life and soul of a party, Jesus, what a nit picking vole.

Defensive much?!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The frustrating thing is there seems to be another version of that movie out there that IS A THING
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In recent irl conversations my tone has become one much more of active dislike for rogue One, but I need to keep reminding myself it's just merely fine.
  • It'll still probably be weak.

Chat reminds me of the mythical metal Gear v version.

• regmcfly wrote:
    In recent irl conversations my tone has become one much more of active dislike for rogue One, but I need to keep reminding myself it's just merely fine.

You know the more I let Star Wars 7 fester around my brain the more it's like that for me too.

I really did have a good time at the cinema when I watched that.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hoping for a director's cut on the bluray release.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    The frustrating thing is there seems to be another version of that movie out there that IS A THING

Aye. The more I think about it, the more disappointed I am. I was expecting a sneaky, sneaky 70s style spy/espionage thing with great characters, a tight, tense script and a final act that gradually got more manic until the inevitable big bang conclusion. Dark, yes, but fun, as a SW movie should be. Something akin to the first Mission: Impossible, The Ipcress File or even The Bourne Identity, but with spaceships.

What I got was a very standard, MOR action flick with bad pacing, a poor script, borderline acceptable acting and NO FUN. It's slipped from a slightly above average 6.5 to a very 'meh' 5 in my head.

Gutted.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I stick by my opening review: "Meh"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Best thing to take away from bae is "Loving something unconditionally doesn't mean you love it more, you just love it sadder."
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Have long impressed upon these parts that concept in a "you criticise the things you love because you want them to be even better"
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Have long impressed upon these parts that concept in a "you criticise the things you love because you want them to be even better"
    'Love' is a bit strong to describe my feelings towards Star Wars but this pretty much. What most disappoints about Rogue One isn't that they made a bad film. It's just that there seems to have been so little attempt at making a good one. This is the franchise that contains ANH and ESB, the films don't have to be bad. 

I don't expect to ever see a SW film as good as Empire again. But I'd rather see them try and fail than fail by not trying. Clearly this is better than the prequels but I've definitely derived more entertainment from the prequels in how bad they are, RLM reviews, the jokes, the memes and all the rest. Rogue One is just nothing.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    In my imagination the pre-reshoots version of the film was all wonky and wrong and the real problem was that they kind of expected the tone of the film to come together in the editing after shooting a bunch of stuff, and the only way it could realistically have been better is if they had gone into it with a clearer vision of what they wanted. (This is literally just my baseless conjecture.)
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think that's probably close to the truth. They apparently filmed a few takes of some key scenes in different ways. Mendelsohn has said he was surprised by some of the takes used in the final cut. I'd link but I need a shower.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    For quite some time now, probably since Independence Day was in the cinema, I have expected everything I see in the cinema to be a letdown. That has helped a great deal and have consequently enjoyed more of what I have seen - even when my low level of expectation has been correct.

Trailers are a lie. Once you get that you'll be OK.

My test of a good film is seeing if I think about it the next day. It has been some time since that happened. Tinker Tailor last passed that test.

Rogue One was enjoyable, forgettable nonsense. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you think it will be. I've more or less given up on Hollywood. I doubt many here are of an age such that they are in the target audience.

Sideways. I enjoyed that. I went into it knowing nothing about it and consequently I thought it was very good as it came across as a proper grown-up film with a few laughs. I'd be wary of watching it again though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'd happily watch an hour and a half reel of great trailers for shit films.

Why is a film made of independent trailers not a thing.
  • Very late to the party, saw this new years eve. I thought it was good without being great (has many of the same flaws of the marvel films - bad guys put switch here. Why? Fuck knows, but if we hit it, galaxy is saved). But I have to admit to not being the biggest star wars fan. 

However, the vader bit was amazing. I dont take its unfair to say it redeemed so much of the prequel bollocks because to be fair, the original trilogy is relatively light on Vader being amazing for story reasons. The last few minutes in rogue one where excellent and really sold him as a killer that has to be feared. 

The uncanny valley showed up with the two characters but I think it still worked well. Yes, it looks cgi but so what. It's not horrible, scorpion king type cgi. It's like Arnie in Terminator:shit one.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Condolences.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!