MaM spoilerific thread of massive spoilers in the study with the candlestick
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Watched this over two days, half way through I started to think it wasn't a real doc, I just couldn't believe how incompetent the cops were, by design or accident, and the appalling treatment of Steven's nephew. But you couldn't make this shit up.

You hear of cases being thrown out due to technicalities, this case had so many issues I'm surprised it didn't fall into that category.

Whether Steve did the crime or not, and I'm not 100% sure either way, the detectives botched the investigation and he should be released.
    Things can only get better.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Finally watched this, compelling stuff.

I think he's innocent, too much stuff doesn't add up, not least the lack of a crime scene (the lack of forensic evidence besides what could easily have been planted in the house or garage makes this seem pretty clear to me) and the fact that I don't believe that the body was cremated on a bonfire. Once those are out, then the only possible explanation is that he did it, but the police still decided to frame him, which seems pretty far fetched to me.

The person I really feel sorry for, though, is Dassey. Poor fucking kid.
  • Its odd to hear people talking about this in tv language, going on about spoilers and episodes and memes, with the boo hiss villains and the heroic defense lawyers(  Im NOT talking about Len ;p ). But then you remember this is actually real, that Brendan and Steve are in prison and a woman has been murdered.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Y'all should watch the Jinx too.

Was gonna say more but doing that would ruin things.
  • mannaboy wrote:
    Watched this over two days, half way through I started to think it wasn't a real doc, I just couldn't believe how incompetent the cops were, by design or accident, and the appalling treatment of Steven's nephew. But you couldn't make this shit up.
    in the tv thread i asked if it was 'fake' after about 4 episodes...i didn't mean the case itself necessarily, i just began to think it was more of a really clever dramatisation of the case, a 'mocumentary' if you will.  i still find it a bit odd how many times the camera would be in the face of a person taking an important call, or they'd be with the defence team as they happily chatted through their plans etc.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • and like Shabby says, watch 'the Jinx' too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes, The Jinx is great.
  • I can't believe it. 

Someone a few pages back mentioned how on earth it could be the case that he could clean the crime scene but then park the rav4 really fucking close. Could've easily crushed it. Makes no sense. 

Cop asking about plates too early

The vial.. I mean the fucking vial! Makes my blood boil - pun intended! 

The way they talked Brendon into the confession was horrible to watch

I think the whole thing was set up. They were on the land 8 days. Plenty of time to set shit up. They searched the room 7 times before the key was found (not mentioning the prints). 

It's crazy. But its the US.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Finally got round to watching the final episode tonight.

Compelling viewing. I really don't think he did it and feel desperately sorry for the kid. 

I said to the Mrs though, this could only happen in America. Fuck that.
  • Yep, that recording in courtrooms is certainly exclusive to America.
  • Its not the only country that would duck over an innocent man but probably the only one to go through this many theatrics to do it.
  • Beano said it earlier in the thread guys when considering how fucked this case was and the 'only in america' aspect - Hillsborough.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • A crush of football fans that left a lot of people dead at a Liverpool game in the 1980s.

Was blamed on drunk fans. 30+ years later it was finally overturned and cops and local govt to shown up to be as crooked and lying as everyone present had said they were all along.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Beano said it earlier in the thread guys when considering how fucked this case was and the 'only in america' aspect - Hillsborough.

Not just that- there are plenty more from bankers, politico's expenses; of recent times to historic child trafficking/rape, police corruption, to name the most pertinent in my mind.

...we brits are a bit more shrewd (and defeatist) than the yanks when it comes to allowing institutions, which are meant to inform/serve/protect us, to continue to protect themselves of allowing heinous acts of ultra-violence and wanton-erosion of the principles and ideologies of a free and fair humane-society by blaming individuals and not their structures. e.g. nomenclatures such as, "The Jimmy Savile Scandal" as opposed to "The State Broadcaster Child Rape Ring."
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/01/25/dead-certainty

Just an excellent read.

"A private investigative project, bound by no rules of procedure, is answerable only to ratings and the ethics of its makers."
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Roujin wrote:
    A crush of football fans that left a lot of people dead at a Liverpool game in the 1980s.

Was blamed on drunk fans. 30+ years later it was finally overturned and cops and local govt to shown up to be as crooked and lying as everyone present had said they were all along.

Police and gov at fault because of poor planning for crowds? How were they at fault for a crowd crush?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    A crush of football fans that left a lot of people dead at a Liverpool game in the 1980s. Was blamed on drunk fans. 30+ years later it was finally overturned and cops and local govt to shown up to be as crooked and lying as everyone present had said they were all along.
    Police and gov at fault because of poor planning for crowds? How were they at fault for a crowd crush?

Watch this:

And this (which is a superb doc):

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Seriously that 30 for 30 has to be watched by all. Was in tears by the end, absolutely horrific.

• Police and gov at fault because of poor planning for crowds? How were they at fault for a crowd crush?

Definitely watch vids ds linked.
  • This makes for some interesting reading.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • This makes for some interesting reading.

This is where i'm at pretty much.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • nah, it makes too much sense! ;)
  • mk64 wrote:
    This makes for some interesting reading.
    This is where i'm at pretty much.

I feel dirty for reading that. 

I dunno, I understand the intrigue and the wanting to speculate, I do it myself, but I hate myself for falling into the trap.

We don't know shit, and we should STFU.
    For those people, and for others close to the original case, “Making a Murderer” seems less like investigative journalism than like highbrow vigilante justice. “My initial reaction was that I shouldn’t be upset with the documentarians, because they can’t help that the public reacted the way that it did,” Penny Beerntsen said. “But the more I thought about it, the more I thought, Well, yeah, they do bear responsibility, because of the way they put together the footage. To me, the fact that the response was almost universally ‘Oh, my God, these two men are innocent’ speaks to the bias of the piece. A jury doesn’t deliberate twenty-some hours over three or four days if the evidence wasn’t more complex.”

Anyhoo.
  • We don't know why they took that long either though.
  • I think I've been put off true crime now anyway. The truth is, the voyeurism is a bit gross for me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We don't know why they took that long either though.

We can find out, though. Through a crowdfunded effort the transcripts are now available.
    Facewon wrote:
    We don't know shit, and we should STFU.
    Not knowing shit has never stopped us before.
  • Ah, neat.

Did anyone think strang looked like iwata?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!