Stupid things that stupid people do but that you don't do because you're not stupid.
  • adkm wrote:
    Depends on the circumstances. If you mean when I'm just saying the letter, it's 'jay'. Within words, though, it depends, obviously. People who pronounce it to rhyme with 'eye' are an abomination, and will be amongst the first against the wall when the time comes. Here's where Dante no doubt steps in and explains why I'm saying it wrongly.

No you're right, it's just that every Scottish person who calls us up pronounces it to rhyme with eye, so I was wondering if this was a general Scottish thing or not. First time someone said that it took me a good ten seconds to figure out what they meant.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    hjonds
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    fjuck
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • adkm wrote:
    Depends on the circumstances. If you mean when I'm just saying the letter, it's 'jay'. Within words, though, it depends, obviously. People who pronounce it to rhyme with 'eye' are an abomination, and will be amongst the first against the wall when the time comes. Here's where Dante no doubt steps in and explains why I'm saying it wrongly.
    No you're right, it's just that every Scottish person who calls us up pronounces it to rhyme with eye, so I was wondering if this was a general Scottish thing or not. First time someone said that it took me a good ten seconds to figure out what they meant.

That's mostly a west coast thing.
  • It's mostly a weegie thing, like most things wrong with this country.  FUCK YOUR BIRTHDAY, GAV.
  • I still don't really understand this. They pronounce the letter 'jaye' as 'jiye' to rhyme with guy? Does it affect how they say the words?
  • I think this is because it was the pronunciation we were taught when learning the alphabet. I can't think of an example other than reciting the alphabet where I wouldn't pronounce it as jay
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's jaye to rhyme with aye.
  • The B is silent.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    The g is silent.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Regards

man
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Reards
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Evolution right there. Fuck your god.
  • I have no idea.
  • adkm wrote:
    There was a story on the radio a while back about a girl who introduced herself as 'WIV-on-ay'. When asked to pronounce it, she replied Y-V-O-N-N-E. Turns out her dad had read it in a book, neither he nor her mother had encountered the name Yvonne in real life, and came up with their own pronunciation. That led to another listener with the surname 'Dunne' writing in, about booking a hotel room. All to aware that there is also the surname 'Dunn', they clarified the spelling when they booked over the phone. On arrival, the receptionist couldn't find the booking until the manager traced it under 'Dunnwithanny'. That led to jokes that hopefully Yvonne would find and marry a man called Dunne, so that she could be 'Wivvonay Dunnwithanny'. Also makes me think of my cousin, christened Catlin (rather than Caitlin, or one of many other spellings). Even the minister was saying 'Catt-linn'.

Hah that got a loud chuckle from me. Fellow commuters on the train looking at me strangely. Fuck off, people, this is funny.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dave Gorman, Absolute Radio podcast if you wanted to listen to more of that kinda thing elf. Soz, can't remember which episode it was in.
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    Some moron in the eatery I'm in just did that whole putting-a-whole-thing-in-your-mouth-and-chewing-when-you're-only-meant-to-suck-out-the-good-bits thing. An older Japanese lady laughed at him, her friend demonstrated, and the German guy next to him explained where he'd gone wrong. The plonker has clearly never had edamame before, and must've thought that if it looks like mangetout you must eat it like mangetout. What a fanny.
  • Wivvonay Dunnwithanny sounds like a memorable alt.  'Looks like we've got a new Wivvonay', 'Ha I was about to type that', and so on.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!