Stupid things that stupid people do but that you don't do because you're not stupid.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    High pressure shit today, no one did anything stupid. Third parties though, huhuh
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    all smiling death
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    I just learned that it's SASHimi, not saSHImi. I have no idea if I'm the only one who's been saying it wrong, but I'll err on the side of caution and assume I'm stupid.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've always put the stress in the middle.
  • I try not to shout too much when I'm ordering sushi, so I just say "sashimi".
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    I was just educated by a sushi chef in Osaka, so right now I'm the headphones wanker of sushi. He was very polite, he just said it back to me, properly, twice, I repeated, he nodded and smiled, and then sliced up said sashimi like a fly mofo.
  • One day I hope to be the headphones wanker of headphones wankery.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    adkm wrote:
    I was just educated by a sushi chef in Osaka, so right now I'm the headphones wanker of sushi. He was very polite, he just said it back to me, properly, twice, I repeated, he nodded and smiled, and then sliced up said sashimi like a fly mofo.

Ask him how he pronounces haggis, battered mars bar and a can of irn bru, then you can correct him, the pompous twat.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    adkm wrote:
    I just learned that it's SASHimi, not saSHImi. I have no idea if I'm the only one who's been saying it wrong, but I'll err on the side of caution and assume I'm stupid.

You're not saying it wrong, you're just saying it the English way rather than the Japanese way.

That's like saying it's wrong to pronounce Paris "Pah-riss", it should be "Pah-ree" cos that's how the French say it.  It's just now how language works.

Ditto things like bruschetta (hard ch, not soft) and chorizo.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Anyway, ittadakimasu
  • I wanna be the headphones wanker of something weirdly specific, like esports mice.
  • That seems thoroughly and cheaply attainable. Trouble is, then you have to play a bunch of DOTA and shit.
  • Could you not just buy the mice, and use them for Excel?
  • adkm
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @adkm1979
    Xbox
    adkm1979
    PSN
    adkm1979
    Steam
    adkm1979

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    You're not saying it wrong, you're just saying it the English way rather than the Japanese way.

That's like saying it's wrong to pronounce Paris "Pah-riss", it should be "Pah-ree" cos that's how the French say it.  It's just now how language works.

Ditto things like bruschetta (hard ch, not soft) and chorizo.

You're talking to the guy who thinks we should say 'Pah-ree', though. And call it Deutschland, and so on and so forth.

I think it's particularly the case when it's a word we've borrowed from the originating language. "That's how WE'VE decided to say it," feels like a playground defence. (For clarity, I'm aiming that at us collectively as speakers of the same language, not you.)
  • With Japanese though it's a matter of different stress patterns. When we see a Japanese word written we assign stress to a particular syllable, in line with English words, whereas they stress each syllable equally.

It therefore makes sense when communicating with other (native) English speakers to use the English version, just to be understood more easily. Unless you want to teach everyone Japanese first.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A Japanese guy corrected his pronunciation of a Japanese word while he was in Japan. I think that's fair enough.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Do you also say Ned-er-lands?
  • Yar. For me that falls under the "When in Rome" category. If Rome was in Japan.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    And why do we call it Germany? Has it always been Deutschland natively or is it a relatively new name?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah ok in Japan I'd say it in the Japanese way and in England the English way. Right/wrong is context-dependent (imo).

I remember having a total merde trying to buy sumo tickets in Tokyo, as I kept saying SUmo not sMO, which made me completely unintelligible to the locals. (I obviously just started swearing and saying it louder to compensate.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    With Japanese though it's a matter of different stress patterns. When we see a Japanese word written we assign stress to a particular syllable, in line with English words, whereas they stress each syllable equally.

It therefore makes sense when communicating with other (native) English speakers to use the English version, just to be understood more easily. Unless you want to teach everyone Japanese first.

Yep, which is why I disagree with everyone pronouncing foreign words foreign, it's just harder to be understood, even if you've done your research on the local language and accent before pronouncing a place name.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Out of interest, how do you pronounce origami, karate, Haruki Murakami, Kazuo Ishiguro, Sony, sushi, Tokyo, Osaka, ...? I suspect trying to pronounce the "correctly" may (a) be a losing battle unless you learn Japanese, and (b) leave you looking pretty odd back in the UK.

@adkm, I'm a rare moment of agreement with yoss :-)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It's fun trying. OooSAkah!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There are plenty of places that have no common English pronunciation and it's fine to correct people. People have a tendency to pronounce Toledo as toleedo when it's actually tolaydo and there's nothing wrong with correcting that. There are lots of places in Ireland that people will pronounce badly if they're not from there and I guarantee people will correct them immediately without any sense of well let them pronounce it their way.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's worth mentioning here that people from Egypt call their home country El Masry. Using that name with a native English speaker means that either the person you're talking to won't know where you're referring to or you'll have to explain every time you use the term, which is more likely to come across as pretentious than anything else.
  • I know you pronounce karate like this:
    Carra - as in carrot
    Tay - as in tay tay tay tay t t t t tay tay tay take or leave us on please believe us, we aint ever gonna be respectable
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There are basic pronunciation changes that are fine but expecting English speakers to do a French or Spanish r for example would be unfair. Ay instead of ee is ok though.
  • Kow wrote:
    A Japanese guy corrected his pronunciation of a Japanese word while he was in Japan. I think that's fair enough.
    It is, yes.
  • I learnt how to say Ghibli a few weeks ago, it's pretty much nothing like the English version at all, more like Shi bu ri. On the whole, I find that the easiest way to pronounce foreign words correctly is by trying to say them in their accent. In fact, when speaking to someone foreign, whether in English or their language, you're more easily understood if you put on their accent, the cheesier the better as It's emphasises the differences you'll get wrong thinking in English.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!