Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not the way seth abramson does then.

I wouldn't be reading his analyses nearly so much if they were in blogs.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think Twitter works well if you use it correctly.

1/ I think you're right but
  • 2/ Making a load of posts with limited characters
  • 3/ Where you quite often stop partway through your
  • 4/ Point certainly doesn't seem to be using it correctly
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Meh. Ease of sharing still wins, and Twitter wins at ease of sharing. Just try to keep the first half of the sentence in your head as you scan down to the second half. Try to think of it like turning a page in a book.
  • The book apparently being the Very Hungry Caterpillar.

He could publish this stuff in, oh I don't know, one of those newspapers he has listed in his profile.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sure, he can just post it in, tell them to print it and bill them. That's how freelancing works.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not sure why I'm being quite so sarcastic in this thread. Probably because I'm a cunt.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    As I've always said about Twitter, it's so popular because it has celebrities on it, and they're on it because it's the equivalent of red-carpeting in print. Engaging your fans with minimal effort and maximum reward.

Lift that limit and your audience's expectations will increase. There's simply no other reason for it than to conduit celebthought to market.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think that the reason Twitter is popular is because of the speed with which information and ideas can be widely communicated. It really is unbeatable in that regard. As a bonus, sometimes this information isn't even erroneous.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm not contesting that: why does it have such a measly limit in these otherwise techfat times?

It's used for lots of good now that it's popular, because it's popular. Others have failed to replicate its success with limitless alternatives; by wide margins.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The limit is based on the number of characters in a single text message minus however many characters are reserved for the username. The idea was that people with no or poor internet coverage could text in status updates from their phones cheaply. As I understand it, this was originally conceived of to make it more accessible to people in poor countries.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It was launched in 2006, not 1996, and the limitations of the site have no authority on cost — individual users do.

They'd Drupal their image support if it were really about bandwidth conservation for the poor.
  • Trump is a fucking warmonger.
    He thrives and profits on shit stirring and selling arms to the nations involved.
    Main conflicts: North Korea, Iran.

Let's just hope it doesn't come to nuclear warfare at some point. The fucker seems to think he's playing a vidyagame rts and nukes are just 'another' option.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    It was launched in 2006, not 1996, and the limitations of the site have no authority on cost — individual users do.

They'd Drupal their image support if it were really about bandwidth conservation for the poor.

That was my memory of it, googling it seems that the service was simply originally conceived of as being something you update through a text.
  • But at ten p a shot (in those days) was well expensive.
  • I suspect war is coming.
    Both 'barking dog' Trump and 'rocket man' Kim are unlikely to back down. Trump assumes this is his ultimate deal and uses his usual, revolutionary 'art of the deal' tactics. Kim will never give up on his nuclear arsenal, he knows what happens to countries who do (hello Iraq). Both refuse to lose face by backing down, hence nuclear standoff.

Are both insane enough to use their nuclear toys when provoked? If you go by their psyche profiles (narcissistic, sociopathic, paranoid) you betcha! Might be a conventional war first escalating into nuclear. Worst case scenario of course, I hope none of this actually plays out.

Can China save us from this mess? Yes, if they strike a deal with Kim. It won't involve Kim giving up nuclear arms though, that much is certain. If the US wants to resolve this peacefully Trump will have to accept the fact that NK has nuclear capability. Which would mean Trump losing face to NK and the world, a thing Trump cannot allow can he...…

This won't end well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Might be a conventional war first escalating into nuclear.

Apparently Kim's longstanding plan should anything kick off is to try to cause such heavy losses early on that it stops any invasion in its tracks.

If this escalates to war, it's going from 0-100 real quick.
  • If Trump is what I suspect he is, millions are going to die in a bullshit war because of a clash between ego's.
    Damn you Hillary and your emails!
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Might be a conventional war first escalating into nuclear.

Apparently Kim's longstanding plan should anything kick off is to try to cause such heavy losses early on that it stops any invasion in its tracks.

If this escalates to war, it's going from 0-100 real quick.

The world largest concentration of artillery is aimed at Seoul, with the plan being if anyone invaded or acts directly against them the guns open up. Surely it won't come to war, although with Trump at the helm and 4 grade-A lunatics in charge of the military who knows.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Invading North Korea would be utter lunacy.

I'm surprised Trump hasn't already done it.
  • He's contemplating on it no doubt. Only thing holding Trump in check are his aides and generals.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Trump/Generals are waiting for a rocket to fall short and hit Japan. The 'we warned you' nukes fuck NK in minutes to prevent the massive cost to both sides of a conventional war. China and Russia will rightfully moan but stay clear of WW3. :(
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/21/facebook-russia-advertising-mark-zuckerberg

Ah Mark Zuckerberg, such naivity and unbridled optimism! I bet if he ran for president he would easily crush any opponent including Trump sr.
    If the US survives a nuclear standoff with NK that is...
  • Zuckerberg will run in 2020, there's little doubt of that.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • And I hope he gets solid pwned.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He can probably dig up shit on practically every person on Earth.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Zuckerberg will run in 2020, there's little doubt of that.

Yeah, but from whom?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Imagine owning a system that helps a dunderhead become president and then running against that president at the very next election.

Disgusting.

Presumably he'll have to sell Facebook though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!