Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Incompetent fools. How many hours has this been up now? The more people enjoy this the better.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Unashamed stupidity on public display; Trump is a fascinating phenomenon. It's terrifying so many people are willing to vote for him no questions asked.
  • hunk wrote:
    Unashamed stupidity on public display; Trump is a fascinating phenomenon. It's terrifying so many people are willing to vote for him no questions asked.

That's I thing I just don't get. How can anyone look at those posts and think "yep, that's the ranting of an innocent man with nothing to fear "?

SFV - reddave360
  • Like Congress, they probably already know Trump's guilty. They don't care though as they find him relatable enough compared to the opposition which they view as the democratic leftist swamp.

Trump's relatable as in 'he's one of us' despite him being born into billionaire wealth. He's white, against immigration, against taxes, against women and homosexuals; all with a political incorrect streak. That checks a lot of boxes with his base.

This is the age of identity politics and Trump successfully utilised its principles to rally his base behind him. Even despite (or perhaps thanks to) his obvious unashamed genius idiocy.
  • Many probably see him as clever and resourceful for colluding to become President.
  • Crafty indeed.
  • Trump's like Berlusconi - everyone laughs at him but to his followers all that stupid shit just makes him more of a regular guy - he says it like it is, sounds uneducated, likes the ladies etc - and not like those liberal elites. The fact he's a multi millionaire who'd sell them all for a dollar doesn't seem to matter either.

The more people laugh at him and repost his dumb tweets the more it goes in his favour. Obviously sometimes you just can't help but laugh, but overall I find it weird, whether it's Trump or Bush or whoever, that people are happy just chuckling away at some stupid shit they said, while they're busy instigating a resurgence of fascism or destroying whole countries.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If I never laughed at the stupid shit, the rest would probably kill me.
  • I just think one day we'll wake up in a fascist regime and people will be all, "WTF happened? I thought we were all against this. I mean, look how many retweets my Trump parody posts get."
  • Sometimes humour is a last resort to stay sane.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not sure what else we can do from here, TBH. I did wave a sign around when he was in the U.K. at least.
  • I think a lot of his voters probably would do the same stuff if they were rich - gold elevators, private planes and Big Macs.
  • monkey wrote:
    I think a lot of his voters probably would do the same stuff if they were rich - gold elevators, private planes and Big Macs.

My God, He is actually a hip hop superstar!
    SFV - reddave360
  • That explains Kanye's fascination with him.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Not sure what else we can do from here, TBH. I did wave a sign around when he was in the U.K. at least.
    I don't think it's a case of doing anything really. Just that mockery and condescension are counterproductive when things are as bad as they are.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What do you suggest instead?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, finding humour in this isn’t totally counterproductive for my mood.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Time to implement the Brooks Doctrine.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • A sense of humour is imo a valid way of coping with this shit. Yes, I know preaching to the choir,, social bubble amplification etc. isn't helping matters but the comedic absurdity element kinda keeps me sane in an insane world. I'm probably not alone in this otherwise Stephen Colbert, Trevor Noah and Seth Meyers wouldn't have an audience.

But aye, we live in troubling times. Fake news, Brexit, Trump, Putin, Syria. The anxiety alone can kill you if you aren't careful.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Taking it seriously, I guess. I mean, I just struggle to see the humour in a lot of this Trump stuff now. And then you see that, say, Brazil has elected an actual fascist as its president. Or the Tory austerity has caused thousands of deaths. And where is the humour in that? I think just presenting the idea that this stuff matters and isn't just another show for our entertainment is important. There's a kind of sickness in the idea that even powerful arseholes fucking people over is just something else for us to consume, and even if nothing can be done it's surely preferable to not join in.
  • Laughing at Trump hurts him. It's literally the only weapon we have.
  • DD speaks much sense.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Taking it seriously, I guess. I mean, I just struggle to see the humour in a lot of this Trump stuff now. And then you see that, say, Brazil has elected an actual fascist as its president. Or the Tory austerity has caused thousands of deaths. And where is the humour in that? I think just presenting the idea that this stuff matters and isn't just another show for our entertainment is important. There's a kind of sickness in the idea that even powerful arseholes fucking people over is just something else for us to consume, and even if nothing can be done it's surely preferable to not join in.

I absolutely agree that none of that is a laughing matter, but I don’t agree that it follows that you should never laugh at any of it. Laughing at these bastards gives you a tiny bit of power back over them, even if only in your own mind.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Laughing at Trump hurts him. It's literally the only weapon we have.
    Roger Rabbit doctrine

Places like this are important. Things being as they are, feeling alone is the worst way to be. At least if you can sideways glance at someone who raises an eyebrow and shrugs in return you know someone else notices the madness.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't think this is en echo chamber either; we're not reinforcing a set of flawed beliefs on here as we each have our own view of things, but we do support each other and have a place to go 'can you believe this shit' where the response will be 'not really no, it's madness' and that is a comforting thought.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • jp8yvu0d_9zd2i6_pkk70p.png

Trump on the warpath tonight.
  • Laughing at Trump hurts him. It's literally the only weapon we have.
    Even if it bruises his ego a bit, it really doesn't hurt him. It works in his favour. There's a time for satire but we're past that now.
    Yossarian wrote:
    I absolutely agree that none of that is a laughing matter, but I don’t agree that it follows that you should never laugh at any of it.
    I don't think it's a question of never laughing at any of it. It's more this social media culture of memes and amusing replies to tweets that get passed around, which is just not helpful. And I don't get it because what does it take to get people to react with actual anger nowadays?
  • I think there are a lot of angry people in America right now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!