Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • It's the start of something and it'll not be the same rhetoric again. Like I say, it didn't take much but it was a thing.

Any other President could have done that, but they weren't stupid and gullible.
  • It's the start of something and it'll not be the same rhetoric again. Like I say, it didn't take much but it was a thing.

Yeah, it's really hard to see it as an achievement yet. I'll give props to trump if he gets it over the line but at the moment it looks more like North Korea is playing him by feeding his ego.

The Iran deal was more substantive and yet that's been dismantled by the same guy.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah the Iran thing was bad.

They could although they didn't, and sometimes it just takes a handshake. Whether anything will come out of it is debatable but it wasn't a bad thing to do.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s massively boosted Kim Jong Un’s credibility abroad and presumably at home. It’s made him look like a statesman instead of a tyrrannical international pariah and it’s made Trump look even more gullible than before and all this has been managed with no concrete concessions from Kim at all.

Right now, it looks to me to be much closer to a bad thing than a good one.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It’s massively boosted Kim Jong Un’s credibility abroad

lol
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Boosted from fuck all to be fair, but it’s still a boost.
  • Truth is Trump is a one issue president.
    He's done fuck all abroad and has solely focussed on enriching himself and his billionaire peers.
    Tbh he's quite the laughing stock of the international community and that sadly includes the likes of Kim and Putin.

Think of Farage in Downingstreet 10 and you're getting there..
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    Truth is Trump is a one issue president.
    He's done fuck all abroad and has solely focussed on enriching himself and his billionaire peers.
    Tbh he's quite the laughing stock of the international community and that sadly includes the likes of Kim and Putin.

Think of Farage in Downingstreet 10 and you're getting there..

And yet.. I can see 4 more years.

SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Trump has done fuck all on North Korea. They are still developing nuclear weapons.

All he has done is concede ground.
  • I never said he'd done much, but at least he made contact. it's progress of sorts, which can maybe be expanded on by another president. I don't see it as bad.
  • It's not progress at all, and I'm utterly bemused as to why you think it is.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There was always contact, it just wasn’t contact made in front of the world’s media.
  • It's not progress at all, and I'm utterly bemused as to why you think it is.

Seconded. As dante said earlier trump did the unimportant bit (starting talks) then had a big declaration before anything was actually resolved and has gained nothing. And he seems to have convinced some people that this is an achievement.

Kinda like equating applying for a job to getting a job.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nah, he took a step forward on North Korea, for whatever reasons. Credit where credit is due. It's shitty politics that tries to twist everything into a negative.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What exactly do you think he accomplished with North Korea?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    He made the South Koreans happy. And they're the ones who are really at risk. Attempts at diplomacy are always better than aggression.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You know the North/South Korean summit happened before Trump met Kim, right?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sure, but the South Korean leader has praised him for his efforts. Like it or not, an American president stepping in is a huge thing. He may be a dumb cunt and doing everything for his own image but any attempt at diplomacy is always worthwhile. Trying to paint the opponent's every action as bad is a tactic of slimy politicians.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    He made the South Koreans happy. And they're the ones who are really at risk. Attempts at diplomacy are always better than aggression.

Well he did have to try and counter this type of language. "they will be met with the fire and fury and, frankly, power, the likes of which this world has never seen before.”
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Sure, but the South Korean leader has praised him for his efforts. He may be a dumb cunt and doing everything for his own image but an attempt at diplomacy is always worthwhile. Trying to paint the opponent's every action as bad is a tactic of slimy politicians.

Flattery will get you everywhere with Trump.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Sure, but the South Korean leader has praised him for his efforts. Like it or not, an American president stepping in is a huge thing. He may be a dumb cunt and doing everything for his own image but any attempt at diplomacy is always worthwhile. Trying to paint the opponent's every action as bad is a tactic of slimy politicians.

I’m happy to give credit where it’s due to people I dislike. Cameron’s stance on gay marriage and the foreign aid budget were definitely positive things, despite the fact that he is still probably the worst PM of modern times. Theresa May... well, bad example. But still, if I thought that this had actually done something worthwhile then I would give Trump credit for it, but it didn’t. It gave Kim validation on the world stage which he desperately craves and got nothing substantial in return.

He could easily have stepped in using back channels, but no, his ego wanted the press circus almost as much as Kim’s.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nah, I don't think he's done any harm. The door is open for someone smarter to have a go now.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The door was never closed. Backchannel diplomacy between the States and NK has always been a thing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The door is open for outright talks. This is not a bad thing. Threats and sanctions don't work.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The door was always open. It's just that everyone else knew that NK wouldn't budge unless sanctions were lifted first, and that was never going to happen, because they've played that card before and didn't do what was asked of them.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's still not a bad thing that an American president went to meet the North Koreans. If Obama had done it and failed, people would have said at least he tried.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Any president could have met with NK, but that is normally towards the end of negotiations, not the beginning.
  • It's not deliberate, but he's moved Republicans from a position where talks with the North were verging on craven treason to a place where diplomacy is good.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    As long as its by a Republican. If it was a Democrat it would still be treason.
  • Credit where credit is due, Trump inadvertently drove Kim towards opening talks with South Korea. Yes, it was unintentional and it could've easily backfired and progressed into a war but it didn't. He"s still a fuckwit though.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!