Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s possible that Trump’s rhetoric spurred the talks, but it’s also possible that it was down to internal factors in NK brought on by sanctions, we can’t really know.

Also, if Obama has decided to meet Kim, the only way he would have failed would be a plane crash. Kim would have bitten the hand off of anyone making that offer with no preconditions.
  • But he didn't. Trump cut through all that by stating during his campaign he had no grudge against anyone.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • He also said he'd bring the troops home and he's done a bit of that too.
  • But he didn't. Trump cut through all that by stating during his campaign he had no grudge against anyone.

But who didn't what?
  • Obama didn't meet up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Obama didn’t do a lot of pointless things that only benefited a tyrant.
  • I've decided to like Trump just to annoy you and Dante. Go Trump!
  • I even like his hair.
  • Why are we talking about North Korea?

Why aren't my fellow progressive liberals itt reflecting on the hysteria around Russia gate and maybe learn summat about themselves and our brethren in the media?

I sa this coming a while back. You just had to read into the detail. Indictments basically for lying. A dude lying about his business in the Ukraine.... But when you look at it, he was lobbying for rapprochement with NATO / western bloc and EU. Not a Russian stooge move.

These people around trump are greedy idiots. They lied to protect themselves, got caught, and were leveraged in turn. But they only caught other bent idiots, not Russian colliders.

The ultimate bent idiot of all, at the top, it turns out is only a bent idiot. Not a Russian asset, which was always fucking laughable.

What's the lesson here? Why isn't the MSM concentrating, why didn't it always concentrate, on lobbying, on selling US influence for money. That's what trump is after, and his people.

I think I know the answer but I'll let yous all figure it out for yourself.

Or you know, your takeway from this spectacular, predictable failure can be "but North Korea is very bad" - it's a free country after all.
    Spoiler:

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • We're talking about North Korea because of this post:
    Trump is too stupid to have done any colluding with anyone, let alone Putin. The only thing that's obvious is he's useless. Although props on the N Korea thing, which really only took a phonecall and a handshake.

• Yeah,I know you totally ignored the first two sentences of SG's post, because discomfort, and decided to pile in on the last, totally unrelated remark to the issue in question.

It was a rhetorical question I asked, m8, but thanks for proving my point!
  • WHAT'S MY SIG DANTE, WHY DO YOU NOT LISTEN TO OZNO EH
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Very tired of things looking bad bad for Trump rather than actually being bad.
    No major wrongdoing no, not in a substantive as opposed to a procedural sense. Just lies. That's what "perverting the course of justice" (obstruction over there) means. He lied to fend them off. There is no proof he is shilling / a Russian agent. And he is lie proof. Trying to remove him will whip up his base. They're armed, most of them. It's dangerous. Itll give him headaches aye, that's what it's supposed to do. Give him headaches so he will bargain on a few things - eg foreign wars. This is a bargaining chip that will be used for some corporate interests which he doesn't represent. It will not do political damage to him. It reads as "they're trying to get him because he's against the system" to his base. He's teflon on lies. We need to get actual evidence of collusion with Russia. Or better yet, OBS, which would disenchant his base. But we won't do that, if we're Mueller, will we. OBS is strictly hands off.
    I'm just saying prepare to be disappointed, my reading is a lot of these stories and leaks are designed to light a fire under his ass to get him to compromise. Usually over something not altogether good for Americans or the world. Eg Syria, he blew his top and ordered a withdrawal. But they're still there, in effect. There is no smoking gun on Russia. There is just this instrumental stuff of saying there is, waiting for people to lie, catching them and then getting them for an instrumental crime - obstruction.
  • I also came across goobs confidently assuming that trump had colluded. I hasten to add this isn't triumphant / gloating. I'm just pointing out that in a lot of you there was just this assumption that this had to be true. I'm trying to encourage people to be more skeptical of received media wisdom. Lots of these guys have no idea at all.
  • Oops, double post
  • Ah, The ties that bind.
    Mueller may be a straight arrow but he was never going to be allowed by Congress to have a real go at Trump. Being a fellow republican et al his hands are tied. Orders from above no doubt.

Let's just say my faith in the system has gone down quite a bit. I could say I'm surprised by the outcome but then I'd be lying.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I also came across goobs confidently assuming that trump had colluded. I hasten to add this isn't triumphant / gloating. I'm just pointing out that in a lot of you there was just this assumption that this had to be true. I'm trying to encourage people to be more skeptical of received media wisdom. Lots of these guys have no idea at all.

Somewhat (but not completely) connected, I've really started to question some of the media sources I browse. i dont think they are lying but I do think they are as guilty as the red tops and right wing stuff in terms of how they approach getting readers. The Guardian of late (but probably much longer) has developed a trend of 2 things which annoy and disappoint because I find it mostly a good overall read. (and I'm only picking them as they get quoted a lot in here) 

Point 1 - Taking sides. I'm not a a believer that news should (or even can) be impartial but the response to how the right reacted to the report conclusions was all about "gloating" "crowing" and "weaponizing" over the results. I cant help but think if this was a victory for the left about Hilary's emails or something similar, we would have very different wordings. It's hard to complain about the bubble on the other side when we allow ourselves to be part of the bubble on the other.

Point 2 - Doom and Gloom - The Day Today rightfully pointed out years ago that the advent of 24 hour news was a mostly terrible thing as news was turned into entertainment and the need to keep ratings meant that news outlets (all of them) had to do what they could to attract an audience. I feel the Guardian has slipped into this with a huge amount of hyoerbole and alarmist reporting gradually seeping in to their stories. Small issues are blown out of proportion and the main page is full of the worst things in the world. Again, this is a tactic that I've often heard aimed at the right side of politics to galvanize Viewers and readers and to get a response. I think the Guardian is probably better at judging when to use this tone but it still is guilty of the same tactics.

Just to be clear, I dont think the Guardian is the out and out problem. I just feel that overall most media reporting is aimed not so much as informing but in getting a reaction and forcing a side. There is still plenty of good reporting and writing going on, but I'm much more cynical of the whole lot nowadays.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah,I know you totally ignored the first two sentences of SG's post, because discomfort, and decided to pile in on the last, totally unrelated remark to the issue in question. It was a rhetorical question I asked, m8, but thanks for proving my point!

No I didn't, you've pulled that from your arse. It was responded to because there is nothing to give Trump props for, and so it was a weird thing to say.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I also came across goobs confidently assuming that trump had colluded. I hasten to add this isn't triumphant / gloating. I'm just pointing out that in a lot of you there was just this assumption that this had to be true. I'm trying to encourage people to be more skeptical of received media wisdom. Lots of these guys have no idea at all.

Somewhat (but not completely) connected, I've really started to question some of the media sources I browse. i dont think they are lying but I do think they are as guilty as the red tops and right wing stuff in terms of how they approach getting readers. The Guardian of late (but probably much longer) has developed a trend of 2 things which annoy and disappoint because I find it mostly a good overall read. (and I'm only picking them as they get quoted a lot in here) 

Point 1 - Taking sides. I'm not a a believer that news should (or even can) be impartial but the response to how the right reacted to the report conclusions was all about "gloating" "crowing" and "weaponizing" over the results. I cant help but think if this was a victory for the left about Hilary's emails or something similar, we would have very different wordings. It's hard to complain about the bubble on the other side when we allow ourselves to be part of the bubble on the other.

Point 2 - Doom and Gloom - The Day Today rightfully pointed out years ago that the advent of 24 hour news was a mostly terrible thing as news was turned into entertainment and the need to keep ratings meant that news outlets (all of them) had to do what they could to attract an audience. I feel the Guardian has slipped into this with a huge amount of hyoerbole and alarmist reporting gradually seeping in to their stories. Small issues are blown out of proportion and the main page is full of the worst things in the world. Again, this is a tactic that I've often heard aimed at the right side of politics to galvanize Viewers and readers and to get a response. I think the Guardian is probably better at judging when to use this tone but it still is guilty of the same tactics.

Just to be clear, I dont think the Guardian is the out and out problem. I just feel that overall most media reporting is aimed not so much as informing but in getting a reaction and forcing a side. There is still plenty of good reporting and writing going on, but I'm much more cynical of the whole lot nowadays.

Guardian gets a lot of stick. I think on Brexit and a few other things (latterly, Venezuela) they are a bit myopic, but I have to say, it's pretty much the only source of news chez ozno. I just check primary sources every now and then. I also just don't trust everything.

The real problem in the US is politico, CNN, WaPo, BuzzFeed, Huffington post etc. Guardian gets a AAA rating compared to those.
  • It's not the facts as such I have an issue with. It's the presentation. Of late it feels like it seems to push opinion pieces that bit too much.

Yes, compared to the others its miles better, but you could attach a right wing filter to it and those same types of news deliver would like very different.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    It's not the facts as such I have an issue with. It's the presentation. Of late it feels like it seems to push opinion pieces that bit too much. Yes, compared to the others its miles better, but you could attach a right wing filter to it and those same types of news deliver would like very different.

I suspect The Guardian are reporting that way because they are alarmed at the rise of the populist (alt) right worldwide in the past 8-10 years. This rise also happens to coincide with the burgeoning use of social media (fb in particular) and the misuse of personal data (again by the right) in targeted propaganda campaigns during key elections.

It triggers emergency alarm bells at the Guardian and I can't say I blame them. The Aggregate IQ/ CA/ FB scandal has far reaching implications worldwide for democracy as a whole. Implications which people (especially in the West) have yet to acknowledge.

• hunk wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    It's not the facts as such I have an issue with. It's the presentation. Of late it feels like it seems to push opinion pieces that bit too much. Yes, compared to the others its miles better, but you could attach a right wing filter to it and those same types of news deliver would like very different.

I suspect tThe Guardian are reporting that way because they are alarmed at the rise of the populist (alt) right worldwide in the past 8-10 years. This rise also happens to coincide with the burgeoning use of social media (fb in particular) and the misuse of personal data (again by the right) in targeted propaganda campaigns during elections.

It triggers emergency alarm bells at the Guardian and I can't say I blame them. The scandal has implications worldwide for democracy as a whole.

I'm not sure I get your point. Is the guardian to be seen as a source of news or a champion of the left's views (a counter to the likes of fox).

For me, it's the guardians role to expose and report this kind of things, not necessarily to provide the balance from a left side

SFV - reddave360
  • Imo, unbiased news does not exist. Facts are always colored by bias of the observer. There's always the viewpoint of the reporter or editor seeping through. Balanced reporting however is possible by acknowlidging the above and balancing views from multiple angles (something which the Guardian does adhere to).

Always keep the above in mind when reading and assessing articles and sources. Identifying fake or unfairly biased news becomes a lot easier this way.
  • hunk wrote:
    Imo, unbiased news does not exist. Facts are always colored by bias. There's always the viewpoint of the reporter or editor seeping through. Balanced reporting however is possible by acknowlidging the above and balancing views from multiple angles (something which the Guardian does adhere to).

Always keep the above in mind when reading and assessing articles and sources.

I'd agree , I wouldn't expect the guardian or anyone to be completely unbiased. But there is a difference between having a view point and taking a direct stance on issues. I don't think the guardian has done this much (maybe with the Corbyn thing, maybe with venezualla, defo with trump) but I'd be a little concerned that they are heading that way and other media sites are already at that point.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Every publisher has a position on the political spectrum.This is reflected especially in the opinion columns. Editorial stances on burning issues aren't uncommon, the Guardian for one publishes those quite regularly.

media-bias-chart_3.0_Hi-Res.jpg
  • hunk wrote:
    Every publisher has a position on the political spectrum.This is reflected especially in the opinion columns. Editorial stances on burning issues aren't uncommon, the Guardian for one publishes those quite regularly.

media-bias-chart_3.0_Hi-Res.jpg

I think that's my point though. Often the finger is pointed at right wing media for being too biased, too exploitative, too eager to ratchet up the issues if the left is following the same model, than neither side is better than the other and my bubble just reflects what I want.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yes and no.
    I still think the left does balancing out views and sources better. Also, that FB/Aiq/CA cess pit dumpster fire that Mercer and Bannon (you know, the right) ignited. The ramifications are still being ignored and swept under the carpet in the West.
  • hunk wrote:
    Yes and no.
    I still think the left does balancing out views and sources better. Also, that FB/Aiq/CA cess pit dumpster fire that Mercer and Bannon (you know, the right) ignited. The ramifications are still being ignored and buried in the West.

Yeah, fair enough. Cant argue with that side.

SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I also came across goobs confidently assuming that trump had colluded. I hasten to add this isn't triumphant / gloating. I'm just pointing out that in a lot of you there was just this assumption that this had to be true. I'm trying to encourage people to be more skeptical of received media wisdom. Lots of these guys have no idea at all.

The quote from the report (which no one outside of the US justice department has seen) explicitly states that the report does not exonerate Trump, but you crack on being non triumphant.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm still confident trump colluded or, at the very least, was aware that his campaign team did.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!