Levels you couldn't get past
  • I say it everytime but that end boss in Prime is a piece of piss.
    I've no idea if it was difficult or not really. I had one go and decided I'd had enough. Probably should've I'd stopped a few hours earlier really.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its just switching your beam so it matches, staying rolled in the little trenches when it charges, then using x ray and MEGA BEAM at the end. Its longish but easily done.
  • I can't remember a specific section but I had to give up on multiple hours of Fire Emblem on GBA because most of my party was permadead.  Starting anything again isn't for me, so on the shelf it went.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ooh, that's a good one. GBA Metroid. I accidentally hit a point of no return just before the final boss which meant that I couldn't go back and 100% the game. Once I'd realised what had happened, I switched it off and never played it again.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The final boss in Tazmania on the Game Gear. And the hang-glider section in Sonic 2 on the GG. Which basically meant I played maybe 1/8th of Sonic 2.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I could never work out how to control that hang glider either.  Played it recently and breezed it, yet whatever the controls were clearly felt counter-intuitive to me in 1992.  Quite a few people, myself included, got stuck on the same uppy/downy thing on Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3.  It wasn't the weight of the character that moved it up and down substantially, you had to hold up/down when it was dipping or rising.  Never used elsewhere in Sonic, so I didn't think to try it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I was all over that hang gliding. Easy as.
  • One of the pan pipe bits in zelda train Man.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I could never work out how to control that hang glider either.  Played it recently and breezed it, yet whatever the controls were clearly felt counter-intuitive to me in 1992.

I've been putting off getting Sonic 2 on the 3DS eShop because of that section. Maybe I was just stupid as a kid. ;)
    acemuzzy wrote:
    I was all over that hang gliding. Easy as.

Looking more like I was a muppet when I was young, then. I do remember a neighbour kid who completed Sonic 2, so it must have been feasible.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I could never work out how to control that hang glider either.  Played it recently and breezed it, yet whatever the controls were clearly felt counter-intuitive to me in 1992.  Quite a few people, myself included, got stuck on the same uppy/downy thing on Carnival Night Zone in Sonic 3.  It wasn't the weight of the character that moved it up and down substantially, you had to hold up/down when it was dipping or rising.  Never used elsewhere in Sonic, so I didn't think to try it.
    I remember that and it was an oddity.

Yet...

I can't help but judge your child self.
  • Thinking outside the box isn't my strong suit.  A couple of mates recently begged me to go with them to the Crystal Maze Experience, for the benefit of their own amusement when I get locked in the first room.

If you want to judge my child self, picture the strong possibility that I was wearing my favourite multi-hypercolour panel no-brand fleece as I was playing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The old Japanese guy with the stick in Super Punch Out

Level 4 of Mushi Futari (have been trying to bust this one for a year on and off now)

TMNT on NES - the last level - I could get past the Technodrome boss - there were flying guys with lasers I just couldn't deal with. I only know it was the last level because I have watched playthroughs.

"Intruder Excluder" in Battletoads. I could piss all over the jet bike level but not this - a horrible level seeing you climb a vertically scrolling layout via very exacting jumps that had a boss at the top that must have needed 100-odd hits - could never get past that bastard.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The last level of Bionic Commando: Rearmed. Was all a bit ridiculous.

Surprised I even got that far - I went back and had a quick go at one of the earlier levels last year and found it almost unplayable.
  • The hover board race in Conker's Bad Fur Day.
    I have done it, once, but it is ridiculously difficult.
  • TMNT on NES instantly sprung to mind for me too. Never completed it without the use of a Game Genie.
  • oh, Vagrant Story, roughly the same place, at least twice, possibly thrice. There's a dragon midway through, and a garden, and I end up with nothing that does any damage at all.

ps1 Xenogears somewhere towards the end also.

Went back to it xbox era to discover it was d-pad movement and went fuck it.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Mr Kelly in Red Dead Revolver. Fuck him.
  • I got to shredder several times on tmnt nes. Could never beat the cheap bastard with his one shot gun. Watched a playthrough a few years ago and there's a sweet spot you can stand with Don to hit him fairly safely. Went back and did it on emu after that. Fucker wasn't going to beat me.

Great title screen music that game.
  • Third or fourth level on Tomb Raider 3 (I think) which was in London. Just couldn't find the ledge I was supposed to jump to and gave up. That was the day that Lara died for me.

Near the end of Condemned too, where my save had me with no health and a broken weapon stumbling about in the dark fighting junkies. Couldn't be arsed restarting fat Keanu's adventures.

Every level on Bionic Commando Rearmed.

Gamertag: gremill
  • TOMB RAIDER three! couldn't get out of the ganges.
  • Just remembered I got so stuck on Story of Thor 2 on Saturn I never finished it.  At the time I was convinced it had glitched, because I wandered around the seemingly impossible dungeon for multiple hours, scratching my head and getting annoyed.  None of the mags had run a guide either, so I just had to throw the towel in.  Excellent game too, a fair way behind some of its comtemporaries graphically, but probably a good one for a spot of retro gaming.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    oh, Vagrant Story, roughly the same place, at least twice, possibly thrice. There's a dragon midway through, and a garden, and I end up with nothing that does any damage at all.

ps1 Xenogears somewhere towards the end also.

Went back to it xbox era to discover it was d-pad movement and went fuck it.

Yes. You have to see which side of the trees has moss growing to find it? I'm sure I wasn't using the battle system or crafting right as like you say it was untouchable.
  • Vagrant Story was bastard hard. I struggled on the first boss.
  • Facewon wrote:
    oh, Vagrant Story, roughly the same place, at least twice, possibly thrice. There's a dragon midway through, and a garden, and I end up with nothing that does any damage at all. ps1 Xenogears somewhere towards the end also. Went back to it xbox era to discover it was d-pad movement and went fuck it.
    Yes. You have to see which side of the trees has moss growing to find it? I'm sure I wasn't using the battle system or crafting right as like you say it was untouchable.

Likewise, I'm sure I wasn't doing a lot of things right. The funny thing is, on at least one of the retries, I was sure I was basically deliberately trying to build stuff opposite of what I did first time, in the hopes of finding a better combo. No luck, and just got stuck at different bits.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Edea' castle, or whatever it was, in Final Fantasy VIII. I'd put everything into Squall's special and had basically spammed my way through the game on that, then they took it away. Don't think I got past the entrance hallway.
  • Final level of Elite Beat Agents on the hardest difficulty. Jumpin' Jack Flash. I fuckin hate the stones and that fuckin song especially.

That level took me a while but I got it eventually. One of my proudest moments.
    Oh god I'm having flashbacks to the attempts...
  • Half-Life 2 - In Nova Prospect a bug meant a door failed to open and I couldn't go any further. I wasn't enjoying it enough to start again so that was that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!