The Long Dark
  • For the last month or so this has been my favourite game for chilling.

Because it's cold.

It's also gorgeous, lonely, peaceful, atmospheric, scary. I'd tell stories about bears and tractors but it's better to play it and make your own.

After a couple of dozen hours I could pick lots of holes in it. But the great thing about early access is that in time many of those holes will be filled.

Managed around three weeks in the middle difficulty. As chalice says, it's the quest for new areas that gets you. The mountain level is rock hard, need to give that another whirl.

I love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The problem the game has at the moment is that there comes a point where you think OK what next? And there is no next.
  • Agreed. Hopefully the story mode will help with that.

A bit of procedural generation in the levels would be great, too, as once you know them pretty well there's little incentive to explore them again.

It needs more of everything, and hopefully that'll come with time.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    How long do fish and meat last once cooked? And can you go periods of being hungry to conserve food supplies?
  • I'll be in when story mode is available I think.

Might get the Endurance DLC for Tomb Raider in the mean time. Or season pass for the sp dlc
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • FranticPea wrote:
    How long do fish and meat last once cooked? And can you go periods of being hungry to conserve food supplies?

I imagine it works like when you're dehydrated and you get a 100% meter that ticks down until you drink again.  You can let your calories countdown, but you'll go into starvation mode once they expire.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Aye but you can last a few weeks without food but not water IRL. I know its a vidya game but can you go without eating for a while in the game to ration food?
  • Is this like the Ark?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Aye but you can last a few weeks without food but not water IRL. I know its a vidya game but can you go without eating for a while in the game to ration food?

Aye, you can. Same with water.

You're probably better off not doing so though as Hunger and Thirst have associated complications.

The Food also goes off (I think cooked meat lasts around three days, from memory) and they're heavy, too, so they slow you down.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Is this like the Ark?

No(ah)

(It might be, I just wanted to make the pun)
  • mk64 wrote:
    Is this like the Ark?

What, like two out, two in, no jeans or trainers?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Arghhh! Just got into playing State of Decay and ain't got for time for another survival game. This looks boss though.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Survival games are coming out thick and fast now aren't they. Really in vogue at the moment.
  • That's rogue
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Stopharage wrote:
    Why don't you purchase it from the Russian store (or similar)? Be much cheaper too.

because I'm lazy, and it was more a bit of hyperbole on my part just being surprised that even within their own ecosystem, they can be so geoblock happy. Anyhoo.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Addictive stuff, ridiculously so.  Froze twice in my sleep, respawn and take a different path.  Playing over comms with Franny, I find a rifle every game with ammo rare, he keeps finding ammo and no bloody rifle.  Put us together in the same game it'd be like Call of Long Dark.  Best game.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I just went out looking for food from my nice new base camp. Really well stocked up, loads of kerosene and wood etc. But barely any grub.

I have no idea where I am in relation to the other places I've spawned so just set out and hoped for the best. 18ish in game hours later, featuring several camp fire breaks, blizzards and a few power naps behind rocks, I see a building in the distance. Thank fuck for that I think. Until I get closer and realise it looks very familiar.....

BOLLOCKS.
  • I've done that!! Walked for what seemed like miles in the fog, in a panic because I left my bedroll in one of many fishing huts that look very similar.
    I was using one as a stash for food and after a very long slog I arrived at what I thought was the hut with my bedroll.

It wasn't.

It was the hut I'd left hours ago.

It's amazing how easy it is to get turned around in this game.

Pro tip: Don't forget to pick your bedroll up after you've had a kip somewhere, it can be the end of you if you don't!!
  • How many different types of zombie is there in this game?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Can't stop thinking about this.

No idea what my next plan of action is. I'm utterly screwed when it comes to food. One can of dog food that's it. But my base is so well stocked. I have a hatchet and had already amassed a big stock of wood and where I am has loads of crates to break up. So fuel isn't an issue. I have lamps and fuel for them, 2 jerry cans of kerosene. Loads of bullets but no gun. 3 hunting knives.

I'm so well set up apart from bloody food. Wasted 18 hours and rations trying to find more. I obviously need to venture out again but if a blizzard hits I won't have enough food to make it anywhere else, and I don't know which way to go!

Survival eh?
  • ...GO NORTH
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I did and ended up back where I started!

No well though :(
  • :(
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You'd love this g, didn't you like the wandering and isolation of FC2 more than anything else in it? That's this.
  • Aye, get G and Sparky buying this, it's brrrrrrrilliant.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's a great game to be in party chat and relay your adventures to one another every now and again.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    You need to make some traps and catch them wascally wabbits.
  • It would be a great co-op type game. Very small servers, just two or three of you dotted about the map. Chances of meeting someone else slim. Work together or kill them and rob their shit?

Kind of like the Division Dark Zone..
  • isn't this also a bit like the survival game Nicks brother made but in 3rd person?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You need to make some traps and catch them wascally wabbits.

I can't make a trap!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!