Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Maybe the reason I feel European is that my parents and my grandparents are.
    3 grandparents born in London, 1 in Glasgow, 1 parent is from London the other born in Singapore.
    All RAF. Stationed in Germany, Cyprus and Ireland over the years, with people who obviously were stationed all over the world. Along with brief postings in Hong Kong, the Falklands and India.
    A transient lifestyle that means roots didn't mean anything. I grew up in Milton Keynes, a town no one was from because it didn't exist when our patents were born.

People should move around more.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    All I'm saying is that my hunch is that tons (tons!) of less-well-off younger people voted to leave.

That poll doesn't suggest that isn't true. 25% of 18-24 year olds and 44% of 25-49 is tons (tons!) of people.
    I can't prove a bit of it, but the onus is on others to disprove that if they want to run with oldies-done-it authoritatively.

That's somewhat tricky if you're going to dismiss evidence which does disprove it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Still the same. We didn't have many holidays when I was growing up. Christ, I remember caravaning in Elgin. Elgin. Other years we didn't get away at all. That's life.

So because you didn't get it no one else should?

If we extend the thinking further then we're basically saying that private companies who build schools know what's better for children than parents do. Ok tere aren't many free schools yet but there soon will be, so that state know better?

If that's the case take every child into care at birth, think of the amount of social workers we'd need. That's a lefty caring sharing professional job, we'd need tens of thousands of them. And to build massive dormitories, you could be into a winner actually Andy

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    All I'm saying is that my hunch is that tons (tons!) of less-well-off younger people voted to leave.

That poll doesn't suggest that isn't true. 25% of 18-24 year olds and 44% of 25-49 is tons (tons!) of people.
    I can't prove a bit of it, but the onus is on others to disprove that if they want to run with oldies-done-it authoritatively.

That's somewhat tricky if you're going to dismiss evidence which does disprove it.

Remember the shy Tory thing a few years back?

I look at my Facebook and Twitter feeds, where I purposefully follow people I disagree with because echo chambers are bad, and there's a lot of young people there who quite clearly (if they voted) voted leave
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Which is reflected in the polling!

Also, I do remember the shy Tory thing, of course I do, but this isn't a poll of future intentions, it's a survey of actions in the past. It's not equivalent.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yes but even the exit polls were still not showing the majority they earnt. That's why the shy Tory thing came about

I agreed that post was better than pre, but assert that it will always lean left. Many Conservatives are, well, conservative
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Yes but even the exit polls were still not showing the majority they earnt.

WTF are you talking about? They did: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11590766/Election-exit-polls-predicts-David-Cameron-on-course-to-stay-in-Number-10.html
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It wasn't 100% accurate, but it was pretty damn close, and exit polls will always be limited by only being able to be outside X number of polling stations on a given day, meaning that local variations can have much greater impact than other types of opinion polls, but still, the exit poll was pretty accurate.
  • I'm completely ok with less well-off kids (all of them actually, rich ones too) getting a week or two off school for the purposes of foreign travel. I've got sympathy for the teachers who have a lot to pack in and find it disruptive to have kids disappear on them, and damaging to the kid for trying to keep up with the volume of tests and shite they have to get them through.

In a sensible education system where you're trying to make a rounded, enlightened person, this isn't an issue.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Wow that was a lot closer than I recalled it, still understated but by around 3% not the 8-10 I imagined

Issue with education system here is league tables are god. Exam boards rule the roost

Only yesterday a friend asked about something in her new job. We worked together at Serco Learning and now she's gone to a school as a data manager. Seems she sent all the entries in for AS General Studies, but has now been told that these need to removed as they will only enter the kids that gain enough modules to cash in. So basically they teach the syllabus, and because general studies is purely modular as soon as a kid has got enough points in enough relevant subjects (often sharing work from other AS subjects they are taking) only then do they enter the kids for the exam, because it increases the pass rate

I understand why it happens but it's still disgusting, and the school should never have put her in that situation
  • monkey wrote:
    I'm completely ok with less well-off kids (all of them actually, rich ones too) getting a week or two off school for the purposes of foreign travel. I've got sympathy for the teachers who have a lot to pack in and find it disruptive to have kids disappear on them, and damaging to the kid for trying to keep up with the volume of tests and shite they have to get them through. In a sensible education system where you're trying to make a rounded, enlightened person, this isn't an issue.

It seems unfair to let kids swan off to foriegn climes and expect the poorest ones to turn up everyday because they can't afford to. The main issue has always been that the kids from the poorest backgrounds have a pretty shit attendance rate, and if that means sacrificing a cheaper holiday for those that can afford it, well in the name of fairness, tough shit. Besides, this wasn't an absolute judgement in law because the Head can still give approval for exceptions. You're then relying on the Head to be a rounded enlightened person, who values social justice and the empowerment of education to lift the poor which is another matter entirely, but it seems a fair balance.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    So because you didn't get it no one else should?
    That's not what I'm saying, no.
    cockbeard wrote:
    If we extend the thinking further...
    I've got no interest in your straw-manning, thanks all the same.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Go on then Andy, why should I be obligated to send my children to your government school that has a national curriculum that people who might not understand the needs of my culture gave decided is the right teachings for everybody

Tbf you don't because you can home school if you feel motivated enough to do it, and feel social interaction with other children is not a thing you can learn from. My boy who is six has already learnt more about Islam than I probably will. He seems to get Easter too which I still don't quite understand. They're also teaching him maths which is just great. Schools are surely a good thing, a social thing, a cultural thing that crosses divides.
  • Or maybe education is just shit. Who knows?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    We've a strong consensus on useful learning for under-11s, so our early education tends to be really good in my experience. And those kids have spent the least amount of time exposed to potential racism and the like at home. I find it really disappointing that most of the kids I went to school with are Facebook Skips now, because we were encouraged to be the second inclusive generation.

It took a couple of white generations for black immigrants to be accepted, but eventually some good things happened. It'll take a lot longer for Muslims due to their geoconcentrations and Islam, and we'll see history repeat, as many of today's openminded white kids become increasingly hostile as they grow up.

Our NC then becomes woolly and exam-focused when its kids are at their most capable, and that still saddens me twenty years later. If not for the level of disruption and poor teaching in a high number of state schools (not exclusively state, obviously), so many 15-year-olds could handle degree-level learning in technical subjects.

I would've found learning to program in Python and variants of C much easier back then than I do now (although I'd have avoided any Pi classes at the time because of my social group). I've spoken before about a great support teacher we had who taught the less-bright kids to build walls, solder, work on engines and gardens... But he was sacked by proxy when the Head withdrew funding for his team. The foyer was tarted-up instead. Now there's a life lesson.

Still, I planted some flowers. ('Cause I wanted a go on the wheelbarrow, but hey.)
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/12/foreign-states-may-have-interfered-in-brexit-vote-report-says

Now they start worrying...
    Many ways a foreign power can influence the public opinion of opposing nations. Cyber attacks are probably the easiest, most common and widespread tactic. Many options to choose from in modern cyberwarfare; targeted propaganda (fake news), hacking (ddos, phishing, 0-days) and good old fashioned slandering.

Wouldn't surprise me if Cameron was indirectly baited into the referendum. Politicians in the west naively assume referenda and voting to be the fundamental cornerstone of democracy. Truth is with the advancement of new technology and the internet this presumed cornerstone is slowly starting to crumble as cyberwarfare becomes increasingly prominent and more advanced.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'm not remotely sure that's the truth.
  • The whole point is to slowly erode people's believe in the system of democracy. Effectively, trolling democracy if you will. Mission accomplished?

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm not sure that anyone's ever believed in democracy as a realised thing, just in pursuing it for whatever ends. It's like a ghostball on a cricket pitch, flying around in our vision while never existing. The closest we get is a little say over the players.
  • Decreasingly benign oligarchies at best.

The whole point is to slowly erode people's believe in the system of democracy.

Is it? If the last couple years are a measure, destablised states basically only produces spikes in refugee numbers, not seeing the immediate boon to anyone there.

Unless RussiaChinaWhoeverthefuck are abject nihilists which is less likely than just being well thick.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    The whole point is to slowly erode people's believe in the system of democracy. Effectively, trolling democracy if you will. Mission accomplished?

If that were the point then it succeeded long ago

Democracy (as we know it) only upholds the positions of those power, it doesn't challenge their authority nor does it force any kind of change. Look at the dwindling numbers of people voting over the last twenty years, democracy has already been trolled hard

Foreign powers bullshit, same excuse that Trump has just made, I think it makes us look amateurish and puerile. If they really were worried about foreign powers influencing people they'd close down Murdoch. We've berated, sanctioned and threatened military force on countries who failed to hold their elections correctly, now we're crying foul play on something you'd have thought we'd be pretty good at being as we've had over 300 years experience at it
  • Brooks wrote:
    Decreasingly benign oligarchies at best.

Is it? If the last couple years are a measure, destablised states basically only produces spikes in refugee numbers, not seeing the immediate boon to anyone there.

Unless RussiaChinaWhoeverthefuck are abject nihilists which is less likely than just being well thick.

Ok, it's probably done to politically destabilise the US and EU superpowers. Gives more breathing space to others (mostly china and russia) thus more room to maneuver in the international space. So not driven by nihilism per se.

• cockbeard wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    The whole point is to slowly erode people's believe in the system of democracy. Effectively, trolling democracy if you will. Mission accomplished?

If that were the point then it succeeded long ago

Democracy (as we know it) only upholds the positions of those power, it doesn't challenge their authority nor does it force any kind of change. Look at the dwindling numbers of people voting over the last twenty years, democracy has already been trolled hard

Foreign powers bullshit, same excuse that Trump has just made, I think it makes us look amateurish and puerile. If they really were worried about foreign powers influencing people they'd close down Murdoch. We've berated, sanctioned and threatened military force on countries who failed to hold their elections correctly, now we're crying foul play on something you'd have thought we'd be pretty good at being as we've had over 300 years experience at it

Yes indeedy.
    We take pride in our democratic tradition yet won't hesitate installing 'democratic' puppet states if need be when it suits us. That's the irony here.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Decreasingly benign oligarchies at best.
    Is it? If the last couple years are a measure, destablised states basically only produces spikes in refugee numbers, not seeing the immediate boon to anyone there. Unless RussiaChinaWhoeverthefuck are abject nihilists which is less likely than just being well thick.
    Ok, it's probably done to politically destabilise the US and EU superpowers. Gives more breathing space to others (mostly china and russia) thus more room to maneuver in the international space. So not driven by nihilism per se.

or maybe there's an ozymandias at work
  • room to maneuver in the international space

To what end? Are their balls a bit sweaty or summat

Only thing I can picture at this point is international strongmanning to dupe disgruntled rubes at home, which I guess you can get away with more of when you can be surer of less retaliation but that's way more nth-dimensional-chess than I really expect can be practiced. Easier to bet on idiocy.
  • I hope it's just idiocy and balls being sweaty but my instinct tells me it's more likely that cyber warfare is now becoming a standard staple of foreign ''policy''.
    Not just Russia and China, but US, UK and EU as well.
  • Idiocy is still dangerous enough to want correction.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    I hope it's just idiocy and balls being sweaty but my instinct tells me it's more likely that cyber warfare is now becoming a standard staple of foreign ''policy''.
    Not just Russia and China, but US, UK and EU as well.

Cyber is just another tool in the influence war that has been going on for forever. We're just not very good at using it yet.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Only thing I can picture at this point is international strongmanning to dupe disgruntled rubes at home, which I guess you can get away with more of when you can be surer of less retaliation but that's way more nth-dimensional-chess than I really expect can be practiced. Easier to bet on idiocy.

Emperors' new chess.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Idiocy is still dangerous enough to want correction.

Eugenics?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!