Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • They have no idea how to solve the most basic implications of what they want. He just waffled on about some fantasy and no one asked him about any of it. There's supposed to be 5 more of these cabinet speeches coming up. Unless each one starts with saying "I would solve the issue of the Northern Irish border by doing x,y and z." then they should be ignored, the journalists should leave, the cameras should be switched off and they can do the rest of the speech to an empty room. Johnson didn't even mention Northern Ireland, insisted there was a 'brexit bonus' which can be spent, pretended some grand regulatory divergence is going to be a boon for british workers. Just fuck off.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Apparently EU growth rate is at a 10 year high. Perfect time to be jumping ship.
  • No because Asia is growing and we can be like Asia.
  • Boris Actually said that in the last ten years our trade with countries outside the EU had increased faster than our trade with the EU. What he failed to point out is:

1) Where that leaves the percentages overall. Because that would show how paltry our trade with countries like South Korea is by comparison; and

2) Why that is an argument for leaving the EU. As in, if the CU has not stopped us from improving our trade with non-EU countries, what's the problem? Similarly, how much of that is exporting services to non-EU countries, where passporting is crucial?
  • What is the hope here? What are brexiteer like that moron hairball or whatever his tag is, gonna do if there is another effective public vote? We are about to royally Fu k ourselves
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    No because Asia is growing and we can be like Asia.

x2UXIfs.gif
  • Great gif that.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter what any of us think anymore, we aren't going to be asked. There are going to be a run of these wooly speeches as brexit limps over the line.
    There will be a deal as well, just enough that it gets through the parliament vote. It will be called something sickening like the "Deal of Balance" or the "Great British Unity Deal".

Then the work starts pinning all the shit on Labour and the EU for sabotaging brexit. Should have a few years of that before the next GE. Like a cheap hypnotist that has already told the putz he is a chicken, it isn't hard to now tell him he is a fish.
  • I just don't see how the deal is going to work and get enough support to pass. 
    It's either divergence with no idea how that'll happen, or non-divergence with no idea why we're bothering. 

Who wins from either of these outcomes?
  • It will be full Tory shite but they will let Europeans with a job stay (they will leave on their own anyway) and UK citizens will stay in Europe if already there.
    Left wing parties can't vote against that, it's too humanitarian.

None of the Tory brexiteers actually give two fucks about immigration.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That's exactly what they'll do — deadcat with conditions that'd make the centrists look bad for opposing. Because we're not even considering the Left; Lucas and Bartley are on their own.

It will be called something sickening like the "Deal of Balance" or the "Great British Unity Deal".

Wheel.jpg

SPIN AGAIN's still genius.
  • It'll be leaving the CU and a free-ish trade deal with the EU that starts off looking a lot like the CU but leaves the UK able to trade with the RoW on its own terms.

Even Labour will support it, and it'll pass with a majority of a couple of hundred.
  • WorKid wrote:
    It'll be leaving the CU and a free-ish trade deal with the EU that starts off looking a lot like the CU but leaves the UK able to trade with the RoW on its own terms.

Even Labour will support it, and it'll pass with a majority of a couple of hundred.
    This plan puts a hard border in Northern Ireland (I think).
  • Which is still inevitable. But they'll chuck money at it and there'll be deals on all the important stuff ie regulatory alignment on food welfare standards etc. Then some tech to support trusted suppliers and rapid border checks.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Which is still inevitable. But they'll chuck money at it and there'll be deals on all the important stuff ie regulatory alignment on food welfare standards etc. Then some tech to support trusted suppliers and rapid border checks.

And presumably chuck a ton of money at the newly renamed RUC as the Good Friday Agreement disintegrates.
  • The UK agreed there would be no hard border, which means no border checks.
  • There's no way the GFA can survive Brexit without changes.

Which is another shit storm waiting to happen of course.
  • monkey wrote:
    The UK agreed there would be no hard border, which means no border checks.

Then simultaneously said no to staying in CU. Which literally means border checks.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-brexit-hard-irish-border-leo-varadkar-government-help-belfast-meeting-a8210866.html
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I fail to see why the EU would agree to all of your suggestions, Wor. It’s undermining the integrity of the single market for very little gain for them.
  • Irish border
    The agreement promises to ensure there will be no hard border and to uphold the Belfast agreement.
    It makes clear the whole of the UK, including Northern Ireland, will be leaving the customs union.
    It leaves unclear how an open border will be achieved but says in the absence of a later agreement, the UK will ensure “full alignment” with the rules of the customs union and single market that uphold the Good Friday agreement.
    However, the concession secured by the DUP is that no new regulatory barriers will be allowed between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK without the permission of Stormont in the interest of upholding the Good Friday agreement.
    This isn’t compatible with making trade deals outside of the CU, unless the UK can come up with some miracle solution and the EU agree to it.

From here
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/dec/08/main-points-of-agreement-uk-eu-brexit-deal
  • I think the EU-27 will be comfortable with a trade deal that looks a lot like now, there's too much to lose otherwise, and they've shown that they are happy to strike free-ish trade deals with other major countries.

I don't believe they have any interest in punishing the UK just to make a point, and screwing over a load of EU companies in the process.

Financial services will be an issue, as will visas, but I think eventually people will do the right thing for their people.
  • It could all be a fucking disaster of course. I'm moving jobs and the whole family at least partially to protect against the negative impacts of Brexit.

My old company is getting seriously fucked by it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    These free-ish trade deals that you’re referring to don’t look anything like the deal you’re suggesting we’ll get. Container ships don’t arrive from Korea or Canada and get waved through customs without checks or delays. There’s no technological fixes to make lives at borders easier. Nobody has frictionless trade and the ability to make deals wherever they like. What you’re suggesting is something totally unprecedented and which the EU has repeatedly said isn’t on the table.
  • No hard border and the UK making its own trade deals means any old shit can find its way into the EU market. So what’s the right thing for the EU to do? If they don’t stick to their guns it only disadvantages them somewhere else.

Edit- It either lets the UK do trade deals and fuck up the single market, let’s the UK put up a hard border which fucks up one of their countries, or it doesn’t do either of those, keeps everything it’s got and puts the UK in the disadvantaged position.

Special allowances for the UK (as a third country) also breaches agreements with eg Canada who have a clause meaning other countries don’t get better deals than them.
  • It's not solvable given what has been promised.

There has to be a border between trade/customs unions. They promised it won't be between NI and RoI and it won't be in the Irish Sea.
    The only other option is a border between mainland Europe and RoI which isn't going to happen for obvious reasons.

Something has to give and it will probably behaving a hard border. A "temporary" hard border that ends up being an absolute burden for decades. Never given the proper budget or infrastructure a permanent border would have.
    Bojo, Gove, Mogg and May will all be well established in their post government jobs by the time the public click.
  • Hard border means no deal means planes don’t fly and the whole country is on WTO rules overnight.
  • Sorry my responses sound dickish read back. I know I’m sounding like a bit of a prick. I’m sure they’ll fudge it somehow and don’t mean to come across as having all the answers. I only know what I’ve read.
  • monkey wrote:
    Hard border means no deal

Don't count on it.
    I think anything bar total Orwellian nightmare will pass.

If the deal is rejected there are three options.

1. Remain, not going to happen. Even the leader of the opposition wants to leave.

2. Hard Brexit means hard border, guaranteed to be worse than even the worst deal.

3. Renegotiate. All EU states have to agree to open negotiations again. Then what? We are back to square one and if it can't be resolved now it won't be later.

The parliament vote is pretty much pointless.
  • I'm not suggesting frictionless trade. That's pie in the sky Brexitwat bollocks. I fully expect proper customs checks.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s not a trade deal that looks anything like we have now, that’ll be a huge change, and one we aren’t remotely prepared for.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!