Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • There'll be paperwork yeah. Better than tariffs though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s more than paperwork, it’s any company with a European supply chain (which is most manufacturing) going bankrupt or leaving the country. It’s huge amounts of infrastructure that needs to be built, it’s a hard border in Ireland.

It’s better than tariffs, but it’s still going to cause immense damage to the UK.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    It’s more than paperwork, it’s any company with a European supply chain (which is most manufacturing) going bankrupt or leaving the country. It’s huge amounts of infrastructure that needs to be built, it’s a hard border in Ireland. It’s better than tariffs, but it’s still going to cause immense damage to the UK.
    For these reasons it’s not going to happen. Either we brexit into a never ending transition period where everything is the same as now, minus voting rights. Or we don’t brexit at all (although I don’t know how that would happen).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Here’s a straw if you’re looking for something to clutch at:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/second-brexit-referendum-2018-2
  • I dunno. Politics is the art of the possible as they say, and not much looks possible. Bypassing Parliament to get it through might be Mays only option.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep. There’s no option that looks like it’ll get through Parliament, ATM. Apart from fantasy ones.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Luck of the freerish.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/963367352187240449

Has a YouTube channel, and this from 1:20 is just fucking beautiful:

Classic Farage ragequit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Irish border, if it happens , in theory, won't cost the UK a penny - at least directly. Simply because the UK doesn't have to put it up unless it wants to. It may do to avoid becoming a soft route in for migrants of course.

The Dublin government will be compelled by Brussels to put it up. It will cost a fortune.There are dozens (at a guess WELL over 100 ) of crossing points. It leaked like a sieve during the terrorist activity here. The bill will be enormous and its implementation will be a laughing stock.

These are serious times for serious people. We, in NI have no serious leadership in our non existent local assembly. One side is playing to a hard line united Ireland vote that seems to care more about the Irish language than hospital queues or falling education budgets. The other side is also seemingly oblivious to education and health issues while still reacting to the weaponisation of the Irish language by Gerry Adams in the 80s and playing to the gallery of a fundamentalist Presbyterian agenda which is opposed to a host of human rights issues .

And yet the NI population keeps voting these ignorant fuckers in.

The UK has no serious leaders either in place or in waiting. Why was a remainer chosen to be PM by the way?

Meanwhile back in NI, I am starting to become concerned about certain parties moving into the 13 month old vacuum. At best this will result in an enormous rise in organised crime - at worst  - the prospect of returning to a militarised zone is chilling. And GB folk should be concerned with the resultant crippling costs and a return to a possible increased risk from terrorist activity reacting to an Irish border.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • What’s this Irish language stuff that prevented a deal? SinnFein want equal treatment for it. What would that mean in practice? Seems unreasonable from the outside.
    davyK wrote:
    Why was a remainer chosen to be PM by the way?
    The other contenders were betrayed or did the betraying or mad or stupid.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Plus May was a tepid remainder at best; she largely kept away from the campaigns. Which is probably good, TBH. If she’d started campaigning for remain, leave’d have likely won in a landslide.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    What’s this Irish language stuff that prevented a deal? SinnFein want equal treatment for it. What would that mean in practice? Seems unreasonable from the outside.

The Irish language, while having a strong history and tradition across Protestant and Catholic communities, was hijacked - almost weaponised - by the hard line republicans during the recent dark history. Gerry Adams being a major exponent of it.  There is a deep fear of how such a bill would be implemented - imposed Irish road signs in unionist areas for example - which of course would be destroyed - thus increasing turf markings and isolation between communities further. Let alone it being a waste of money.

Leaked documents of enforced use of the language within Civil Service jobs and other nonsense only underlined any fears of such cottage industries dreamed up by one side to further an Irish unity agenda.

These fears, real or otherwise , have not been addressed - and apparantly the grass roots reaction over the weekend to such a bill being in a deal , shocked the DUP and the deal collapsed.

The issue is not with the language itself - many protestant/unionist areas have organised Irish language learning opportunities - it is the fear/perception of how it would be used as a tool to further one agenda and erode another.

it is a toxic issue and I see both sides of the argument but no short term solution.

It needs to be gently introduced and celebrated at a cultural level across all boundaries. Properly funded but with no compulsion to engage - but that would take a generation. It quite possibly needs a champion of its celebration appearing on the protestant/unionist side. At the minute that seems rather unlikely.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well.......that's my tuppence worth at any rate.
  • davyK wrote:
    There are dozens (at a guess WELL over 100 ) of crossing points.

Had a quick look at a map, as I had no idea what the physical reality of a hard border was. At a loose count, I got to a hundred roads before I was even half way. And the road layouts make it a fucking nightmare; relatively short journeys taking you in and out of either country multiple times. So, you either man it all at ridiculous cost, or it’s leaky as all hell.
  • Cheers for that Davy. Sounds like they should have known better than to have something so contentious in there at all, if building bridges is the aim.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    They're mainly to do with the UK being able to set its own trade deals, keeping the billions it would send to the EU, and decisions being made locally by democratically elected representatives instead of undemocratic EU institutions.

Going back to early posts itt sure is a hoot.
  • Hambo was a one. Good looking, but a one.
    legaldinho wrote:
    I predict that remain will win 54-46, after close polling just like last time. Most people will be too scared, even if sceptical, to leave the EU. RemindMe!
      I will remind you of your predicto the day after the referendum if it proves correct. If not, I will not do so at all, o ozno, for I am your alt o exalted one. Thank you,  master, for rescuing this dumbass thread rom its shiteness.

Well this fucking backfired
  • My whole point is we don't need the EU.  It's a racket, a jolly to the tune of 18 billion P.A. of your money.

Amazing, best case scenario is: we are leaving, we get zero say in EU law, still have to comply with it, and it'll cost us 20 billion pa.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Cheers for that Davy. Sounds like they should have known better than to have something so contentious in there at all, if building bridges is the aim.

Irish language should have a certain status - it was part of the original agreement back in '98 but promises were reneged on. I can see why the side pushing it is doing so but it is still simply too toxic and the challenge to them is to address that instead of just repeatedly making demands.
  • Aside from a few gaeltacht areas here in the South, few fucks are really given about the language. It will get you preference for most public sector jobs tho.

Think It's trivial pushing the issue in the North where peeps will be even less likely to utilise what's basically a dead language. Seems just a tool for political point scoring imo.

• legaldinho wrote:
    IanHamlett wrote:
    They're mainly to do with the UK being able to set its own trade deals, keeping the billions it would send to the EU, and decisions being made locally by democratically elected representatives instead of undemocratic EU institutions.

Going back to early posts itt sure is a hoot.

I went back to the early posts and I was so fucking on the money it was painful. And yet, no lessons have been learnt.

Also miss Funkstain. He got it, too. :(
  • God I dare not go back. At one point my opinion was that May would be a good negotiator and better than Cameron.
    Moron.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Britain’s Remainers plan to secure a second Brexit vote — with the help of a summer rock concert and a mobile app.

Imagine what they could have achieved with a rock concert before the country voted to leave.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Innit tho.
  • indigoDos wrote:
    … few fucks are really given about the language. It will get you preference for most public sector jobs tho. … Seems just a tool for political point scoring imo.

Sounds exactly like Gaelic up here then.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!