Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I have a plan.  Buy loo roll.

They is the best plan I've heard in the last three years. Apart from pints, obviously.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yossarian wrote:
    There are workarounds for the MEP thing. That’s not a dealbreaker no matter what state our government is in.

I don't think this is true.
    There are workarounds but they’re messy as hell. eg Current U.K. MEPs terms can be extended, the U.K. govt can appoint new ones or new ones elected on limited terms or as ‘observers’. Bits of those plans might need treaty changes which means separate ratification by all 27 countries, which if nothing else, would take up time we don’t have. Any new elections are going to be hijacked by Farage and his mob and the EU doesn’t want 70 Nigel Farages turning up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Indeed, but if the EU aren’t turfing us out in the face of May’s incompetence, it’s highly unlikely that they’d do so at a point where we were preparing for a GE, regardless of the state of government.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Indeed, but if the EU aren’t turfing us out in the face of May’s incompetence, it’s highly unlikely that they’d do so at a point where we were preparing for a GE, regardless of the state of government.

They've only delayed it two weeks so we can come up with a plan. The chances of a coordinated plan in two weeks are miniscule. And if you thought May was a nightmare wait until Boris steps up with a larger majority.
  • Petition now over the 3,000,000 mark.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    What if this is all just a brilliant exhibition of political brinkmanship?
    No one believed anyone would be stupid enough to actually leave with no deal, but here we are.

Now Tusk and friends are bricking their undercrackers.

Perhaps this is actually a work of genius.

edit - The Irish border alone suggests this is all incompetence, but even a black hole has an horizon...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • S/o to the 16yr old female on QT last night who broke it all down so well.
  • g.man wrote:
    Petition now over the 3,000,000 mark.

My pal did 5 of them single-handedly before he ran out of email addresses, and he lives in San Fransisco.
  • God my spelling is getting bad.
  • g.man wrote:
    Petition now over the 3,000,000 mark.
    My pal did 5 of them single-handedly before he ran out of email addresses, and he lives in San Fransisco.

I hope you told him hes a dick.
  • Farage is indeed back.

• Farage is indeed a dick.

To be fair he:

A) Gets bored easily
    B ) Has legitimate worries about Brexit
    C) Knows it won't make any difference

(I'm presuming C)
  • That Is the kind of thing I was talking about. UK needs to leave and sort itself out, having this type of rubbish floating around Europe is doing it no favours.
    SFV - reddave360
  • S'true. I'm amazed at the patience of the EU tbh. I know it's damaging for them too to have a no deal but at some point you've just got to say, "Fuck it".
    To be fair he: A) Gets bored easily B ) Has legitimate worries about Brexit C) Knows it won't make any difference (I'm presuming C)

If B is true then he shouldn't want to give any ammunition to the pricks who will want to dismiss this petition.

You get other people to sign it, you don't keep doing it yourself.
  • Forgive me for being pessimistic here but aren't these petitions usually brought up at the end of the day when everyone's left and most of the few left are falling asleep?
  • Except just saying "Fuck it." and having the UK leave without an agreement instantly breaks the Good Friday Agreement as it requires an open border.

If No Deal happens, and at this point I expect it will, there will be some big legal challenges put in almost immediately.
  • I hate to tell you this Dante but this petition is not legally binding or useful. We already know 16M didn't want to leave because we had a referendum and they voted not too.
  • It's a complete mess, all created by the Conservative party.

A non-binding referendum that only passed 52-48, and they just plowed ahead with it.

Bunch of self serving cunts.
  • Forgive me for being pessimistic here but aren't these petitions usually brought up at the end of the day when everyone's left and most of the few left are falling asleep?

It's not about the actual debate in Parliament, it's about changing this "will of the people" narrative.
  • Except just saying "Fuck it." and having the UK leave without an agreement instantly breaks the Good Friday Agreement as it requires an open border. If No Deal happens, and at this point I expect it will, there will be some big legal challenges put in almost immediately.

Well yes, but it wasn't exactly sorted out in the deal either was it? It's nigh on impossible to solve it atm without a complete revoke.
  • The deal had a backstop for dealing with a lack of agreement for what to do with the border.

That could be sorted later.
  • I hate to tell you this Dante but this petition is not legally binding or useful. We already know 16M didn't want to leave because we had a referendum and they voted not too.

Of course it's fucking useful. 

I don't think you're actually stupid enough to believe that politicians only act as a result of pressure from election results.
  • You think getting people who oppose leaving to go on the internet and say they oppose leaving is useful? Knock yourself out.
  • It was worthwhile signing the petition for the headlines it got but it is not what the petition site was setup for.
    Its for things otherwise not being discussed in parliament that the public feel need drawing attention to.
  • It's a bunch of twats like us signing it, spending all day on the computer, never voting Tory, have accounts on the social networks where things like this get shared. But politicians haven't got a clue what's going on, especially the senior ones. They're all in their weird little bubbles. They absolutely rely on data and surveys and focus groups and oh shit this petition has got three million signatures in two days. Fuck! It's a self-selecting sample but it's a sample nevertheless. If 3 mil people have signed a petition supporting something, there's millions more that think the same but haven't bothered.    

I doubt May does this sort of stuff but Cameron would have had his spads all over that mapping data from the petition, cross-referencing it with Tory-voting constituencies and breaking down changing support levels. They'd have likely found that it's completely irrelevant to their base vote and probably ignored it. But what can you do? You have to club together to express a view and this was one way of doing it. It's as useful as expressing a view in a democracy ever is - not very. 

What it might do is give some pause the next time a Brexit prick tries to claim the people are behind them, everyone wants us to get on with it. Or at least when they do claim that next time it gives someone a more useful counter than they had before. Give me this on a ballot and I'll vote for it. That's not going to happen but it's slightly more likely than it was at the start of the week.
  • monkey wrote:
    What it might do is give some pause the next time a Brexit prick tries to claim the people are behind them, everyone wants us to get on with it. Or at least when they do claim that next time it gives someone a more useful counter than they had before.

This petition will soon get referenced in Parliament by an opposition* member as part of a counter to something May says. That’ll be the long and short of it.

* Whoever the fuck counts as opposition these days. Could be within her own party, or cabinet.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!