Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Tusk: 'Until Apr 12 anything is possible - a deal, long extension if UK decided to rethink its strategy, or revoking Art 50 which is prerogative for UK Gov. Fate of Brexit is in hands of our Brit friends. As EU we're prepared for the worst but hope for the best. Hope dies last.'
  • poprock wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    What it might do is give some pause the next time a Brexit prick tries to claim the people are behind them, everyone wants us to get on with it. Or at least when they do claim that next time it gives someone a more useful counter than they had before.
    This petition will soon get referenced in Parliament by an opposition* member as part of a counter to something May says. That’ll be the long and short of it. * Whoever the fuck counts as opposition these days. Could be within her own party, or cabinet.

and be countered with "3 million (or whatevs) is smaller than 17.4 million" which would be a fair shutting down.
  • There's normally a polling multiplier to ballpark scale the figure to the general population, given restricted poll size. Would be interesting to know what the back of fag packet number is for the online polling portal.
  • It would be hard to say because of the unknown influence outside of the UK on this petition.
    Even using smaller petitions wouldn't help as they may or may not have been influenced by the same percentage.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    What it might do is give some pause the next time a Brexit prick tries to claim the people are behind them, everyone wants us to get on with it. Or at least when they do claim that next time it gives someone a more useful counter than they had before.
    This petition will soon get referenced in Parliament by an opposition* member as part of a counter to something May says. That’ll be the long and short of it. * Whoever the fuck counts as opposition these days. Could be within her own party, or cabinet.

and be countered with "3 million (or whatevs) is smaller than 17.4 million" which would be a fair shutting down.

Yeah but it eats away at the argument that the British people support whatever current bullshit the govt is doing to support that 17.4 million vote. Everything’s going to be smaller than that forever. Barring possibly a 2nd ref on the same issue, no British politician is going to go for another referendum for the rest of our lives. There’ll never be that binary choice again.

This petition, the march tomorrow. All you can do is chip away.
  • If only there was a way to poll the entire country, eh?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The petition means nothing alone. The petition + polling + a huge march tomorrow can well be taken as a sign that the mood of the country is shifting.
  • Prepare for disappointment.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The more I think about it, the more I think this flextension has basically killed no deal as well.

May’s deal will fail, Parliament will take control, there’s no majority for no deal in Parliament.

The only way I see no deal happening at this stage is if the PM, whether May or someone else, is actively working to prevent anything that would stop it, even then I think that the odds are that such an attempt would fail.

Quite where we’ll end up, I don’t know, but the slim chance of us crashing out with no deal just got even slimmer.
  • May's deal gets rejected again.

Calls a ge.

SNP call a simultaneous Scottish parliament election, run on a campaign of 'look at these utter fuckwits. Return an SNP majority in both parliaments and we'll take that as a mandate to remove ourselves from the act of union.'

Not a snowballs chance any of that will happen of course, but a man can dream.
  • SNP can’t get a majority in Westminster if they’re only contesting Scottish seats. They should run South of the border though. They’d clean up.
  • I meant a majority of Scottish MPs in Westminster. I'd like to see them contest seats in England, it'll never happen though.
  • I really wish Sinn Féin had participated in Brexit, instead of continuing to refuse to have anything to do with Westminster.

It's the one time their own members would be truly understanding of them doing it.
  • Yeah I agree, especially with the DUP hanging around like a putrid fart.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Anyway, seem like MPs might get a vote on seven different options if the deal fails.
  • They’re incapable of voting coherently on yes/no questions. I wouldn’t trust them with a multiple choice.
  • poprock wrote:
    They’re incapable of voting coherently on yes/no questions. I wouldn’t trust them with a multiple choice.

It wouldn't be multiple choice, it would be "do you approve of this option" 7 times.
  • or fucking up each choice with ridiculous amendments.
    Vote option "Do you support revoke?"
    May whips an amendment "...though each member that votes for it gets their hand chopped off"
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I wouldn’t expect much from these indicative votes. Number 10 has denied that revoking, 2nd ref and May’s deal +customs union are going to be allowed.
    Her backbencher we’re kicking off.
  • Those 7 options in full.
    - Do you want May’s deal?
    - How about May’s deal?
    - Ok then. What about Theresa’s WA?
    - Can I interest you in May’s deal?
    - And now?
    - Last chance. You sure? Ok then. I’m going to tear it up if you don’t vote for it this time. Ok? Ok? Right that’s it. It’s gone.
    - May’s deal?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m pretty sure that this won’t be May’s decision. The Benn amendment only lost by two votes last time, it’s being reintroduced and I can’t see it losing again.
  • Said it last night. May's deal is the foundation of any deal, dont expect much different to be offered up even when rejected.
    It will probably be, at best, offers of commons votes on things post Brexit.
    She will offer them confidently knowing she will call a GE at the first opportunity in an attempt to get a proper majority, that way she can ditch the DUP as well and have an Irish sea border.

Her deal isn't popular because MPs are entrenched but in terms of the Tories it is slap bang down the middle of what the party want. Strip all regulation and rid ourselves of EU free trade so desperate deals are needed elsewhere.
    Cameron would have done the same deal, difference is he wouldn't have had so much push back from the ERG.
  • I really wish Sinn Féin had participated in Brexit, instead of continuing to refuse to have anything to do with Westminster.

It's the one time their own members would be truly understanding of them doing it.

Absolutely. They should have been in Westminster fighting for the north. Mary Lou gave a very limp excuse as to why they didn't but I think Brexit required them to be part of it.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But to be clear - legally, under EU law, the Treaty exit date is now no longer 29.3.19 - it is done. It’s off.
    It is not been replaced with a specific alternative.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1109137487136542721

@SG: beers are on you.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Uri Geller has announced he is going to telepathically stop Brexit.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I feel we should hear more from RKS.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    But to be clear - legally, under EU law, the Treaty exit date is now no longer 29.3.19 - it is done. It’s off.
    It is not been replaced with a specific alternative.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1109137487136542721

@SG: beers are on you.

Aye.
  • Apparently May told Boris to fuck off. She's actually planning to stay even if it fails. Maybe God has had a word with her.
  • Anyway, the little one had a class open day today and I was talking to one of the parents who was just back from Brussels where she works in some capacity for the Lithuanian government. She looked fucked.

General feeling is they're hoping May will step down as soon as the vote fails. Also, they were alarmed to find Corbyn didn't have the slightest clue on how the EU works. He just hadn't done his homework at all and one of leaders was calling him an amateur.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/22/no-deal-brexit-off-table-theresa-may (depressing reading)

Double or quits for April 12th, Yoss/sg??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!