Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • There've been a few articles in the guardian on the election, specifically Sinn Fein's boost in the polls (and how the two main parties have said they won't do any deals with them), this last week, been interesting to read. I've some of my best friends over in Galway so have been watching developments a bit, gonna be interesting to see the outcome.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's been some trawling up of issues in the past re SF. The leadership debate resulted in the SF leader making a screw up regarding a question over a young guy who was killed 13 years ago.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • As an Englishman I'm conflicted with how much I can interject an opinion; part of me thinks the British caused a lot of shit, 800 years etc, so we should try to help clear up any mess. The other part of me thinks a load of Irish probably think fuck off, this is our business and you've done enough shite without wading in with an opinion. Most of all I don't want to cause any offence. I think I'll take a holiday to Ireland this year anyway, I've loved it every time I've been over.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Interject away. Ireland is a basketcase but I doubt it's possible to access any definitive history that would be acceptable to all sides.

Cromwell was a cunt though.
  • The usual insult from my Irish mates is 'you Cromwellian cunt' or 'you tan bastard', in a good natured way ofc :)

Genuinely my closest friends and have been there for me in my darkest days.
  • Being a foreigner never stopped me getting involved in brexit threads!

I mean the UK did sort force our involvement in the issue, but that's besides the point.

I haven't voted yet been weighing up the strategy I'll go with.

Of course voting is the least important part of democracy.
    Talking about politics in general over the years is far more important and influential but still I like to drop it in the box.

With PR STV really you aren't voting for someone but ranking preference.

Then if your on top of things you should re-rank based on your predicted outcome. Giving high preference to those who are ideologically aligned but overall weak candidates.

So you boost there numbers and when they got knocked out your vote continues.

I'll probably vote something like

S-Tier: Local psychos who get votes only from half their own kids. Guaranteed to be out in round 1
    A-Tier: Weak candidates who I like. Will be out in rounds 3-6
    B-Tier: Medium Strong Candiates who I like. (Probably don't exist) this could easily be someone competing for the final seat (5 seats in my constituency) if so vote would end here.
    C-Tier: Candidates I don't particularly like but don't hate
    D-Tier: Candidates I hate. This will include one local Fianna Fail
    But not the other one.

E-Tier: You could vote for a dodgy party here. But it gets dicey. If they are still in they could win.
    The out and out racists and Christian's too. However none of em should actually be in at this stage. So even as a protest it wouldn't work.

F- Tier of receiving no Vote from me and I'm actively trying to hurt. The candidate who got my vote last time out who betrayed my area by changing party. (Twice technically)

So my vote ranges from Supporting anti-governments voice, to my genuine political affiliation, to well X is better than Y, to I people and parties I hate but not as much as I hate one particular Candidate for his betrayal.

Wind Waker is a bad game
  • I know this is fucking feet in a wishing well shit, but I'd love to get to place where the 'british isles' aren't called that, but have some other name, and the four nations, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England, have their own identities, but are also close like brothers, because we do share so much culturally, and are so close. Each with our own identity, but looking out for each other, not ruled by any one, but strong together. We've so much history, good and bad, that it'd be nice to be able to consider each other friends as countries, stand together yet still be individual. We're a close land mass, after all. I hate the 'british' isles moniker. We should find a new name for our collective countries and support each other whilst being independent.

I have been drinking aye.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    'tis a tricky one.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I know this is fucking feet in a wishing well shit, but I'd love to get to place where the 'british isles' aren't called that, but have some other name, and the four nations, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England, have thier own identities, but are also close like brothers, because we do share so much culturally, and are so close. Each with our own identity, but looking out for each other, not ruled by any one, but strong together. We've so much history, good and bad, that it'd be nice to be able to consider each other friends as countries, stand together yet still be individual. We're a close land mass, after all. I hate the 'british' isles moniker. We should find a new name for our collective countries and support each other whilst being independent.

I have been drinking aye.

Couldn't agree with you more mate.
  • We just don't use it/recognize it.

UK and Ireland is grand.

Wikipedia is a cunt. They have it written in the page about Ireland the Island despite the fact people here don't consent to it.

Like it's not controversial, it's just wrong.

Also our country is called Republic of Ireland on Wikipedia
    Despite no country in existence by that name. Either in the present day or historically. That's the football team. The country is Ireland or in the Irish language Éire.

But because the Irish voice is crowded out by UK voices on that website you can't get it changed.

Bit like the MegaDrive/Genesis fight.

But less important.
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The wiki is open so it probably depends on the leanings of the last editor. :) :)
  • kneecap wrote:
    They have it written in the page about Ireland the Island despite the fact people here don't consent to it. Like it's not controversial, it's just wrong.
    What does that mean? Irish people don't call the island Ireland?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I think he's talking about the term British Isles.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are all sorts of connotations arising from what words people use here - esp. here in Northern Ireland / The North / The 6 counties under siege / etc....

Some people will not say Northern Ireland as they do not accept partition. Some call it the 6 counties.

Some say Ireland is the Republic of Ireland. I have heard it called The Free State as well. Some call it Southern Ireland.

Some say the Island of Ireland to mean Southern Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Some people call Northern Ireland Ulster. That isn't strictly true as the provence of Ulster includes Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan which are in the Republic of Ireland.

Some call NI "The provence".

We are a basket case.

The border was drawn almost 100 years ago as a device to make a deal with Ireland over withdrawal and to ensure unionists had a majority in the North. These equated to seats in Westminster so no doubt the thinking was to bolster the Conservative (and Unionist) party there.
  • My wife gets very mad when people call the Republic "Southern Ireland" as she says there's no such thing.
  • As dara o briain said 'it's not the Irish border, it's the British border in Ireland'...
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Popeland

Former Yugoslav Republic Thereof
    Wind Waker is a bad game
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    As dara o briain said 'it's not the Irish border, it's the British border in Ireland'...

That was Andrew Maxwell.
  • Obriain must've nicked it from him
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • This minor cabinet reshuffle seems to be somewhat larger.

Johnson is emptying the Cabinet of anyone who has remotely criticised himself, his leadership or his Brexit.
    Leadsom and McVey the two big names out early.
    No real loss there, how either of them ended up as part of the UK Government's cabinet is astonishing. 

Now Javid has reportedly resigned because he refused to sack his advisers, I assume with them being replaced with Dominic's selection.

A yes man government will fall on its face pretty quickly. Shame it is the public that will suffer.
  • Fucking hell they are making Sunak chancellor apparently.
    The man is a moron.

I guess it doesnt matter as he wont actually be making any decisions. Could appoint an old mop and achieve the same result.
  • Hilarious that's where Javid's line was.
  • Remember when Chancellor was a post for serious politicians?
  • It was the second most important position in Gov after the PM.
    Now PM is second behind Adviser to the PM.
  • Quickly, get your bets on for Sunak to be next Tory leader/PM while the odds are still long.
  • Cox was a terrible AG and I can't blame Cummings for getting rid. He was a useful idiot for a while, but then quickly became an utter liability (for his purposes anyway).

Javid was never going to last - another conscience-free half wit, but one who was saying things in public which weren't according to the Grand Plan of remaking Britain (by demolishing our rights, removing regulations which protect us or the environment, fucking up the judiciary, and "failing fast, moving on, getting shit done" through Big Ideas driven by geeky weirdo data scientists and "visionaries", but with zero accountability, real world experience, implementation planning, due process and procedure (the guy HATES lawyers, maybe more than Westminster journos) etc).

Javid resigned because Sunak was being made a sort of deputy chancellor, and he's Boris and Cummings man through and through. His position was untenable.

Getting rid of other liabilities like McVey and Leadsom makes total sense, and bringing in a bunch of junior women ministers pays necessary lip service to a more progressive liberal minded Boris image

All in all, all going according to the Plan.
  • The biggest problem with Cummings is that he's sort of half right: there can be too many impediments to major change even when it's really needed; Westminster journos ARE a bunch of entitled cliquey rich cosy cunts; many ministers and other politicians are utter halfwits, and outside of London (and some other metro areas) people DO think very differently about the state of the country, what Brexit means, and so on.

It's the bit he's half wrong on that's so scary, and what he actually wants to do about it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!