Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • There will he a deal though. The level playing field is the real sticking point.
    He will throw the fishermen under the bus and at the end of the day nobody really gives a shit about them.
    He will sign up to something on level playing field and then just break the rules agreed to. The EU will tut and then faint in their seats when he continues to break them despite warnings.
  • That’s one of the problems I think. The EU having so little trust in Johnson honouring the agreement that they want to be able to apply tariffs if he tears it up later. He’s acted the cunt so hard that there’s no trust and so the two sides are farther apart than they need to be.

I suppose I still think there’ll be a deal. Whenever there’s a bombardment of right-wing newspaper stories about no deal happening, that’s coming from Government. It’s still the same horseshit that May tried. The difference now is that it looks like Johnson is going to have fucked it either way. And he knows that’s how it looks. So he could well just think to hell with it.
  • ITV news have got hold of the gov reports stating by fact there will be food and medicine delays with no deal.

Its out there in the open in the government's words now.
  • Carole Cadwalladr published the same report a fortnight ago. Nobody paid any attention.
  • Yes this is old news which should really bring home how terrifying the situation should be but somehow isn’t.

This thread summed it up nicely for me: it’s not “just” short(ish) term supply chain catastofuckery or longer term price rises, it’s everything substantial which truly affects an economy: investment, trust, capital, opportunity. A no deal more than anything will reduce this nation to third rate “who cares what they think or do” nation, run by incompetents voted in by deluded nationalists, who have no need to be taken seriously.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidHenigUK/status/1335504575860760578
  • poprock wrote:
    Carole Cadwalladr published the same report a fortnight ago. Nobody paid any attention.

Thats because nobody knows who she is.
    Bit different to the lead anchor announcing the lead story on Sunday evening ITV.
  • Well, I think she published it in the Observer, but point taken.
  • Fish deal supposedly done.
    That was the easy one though I reckon.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Carole Cadwalladr published the same report a fortnight ago. Nobody paid any attention.
    Thats because nobody knows who she is. Bit different to the lead anchor announcing the lead story on Sunday evening ITV.

The media know who she is, so it's surprising it toiok this long to be picked up.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Fish deal supposedly done.

Sounds like the rest maybe happening too? But politics could still scupper it given it's a shit deal?
  • Davey Henig, management consultant extraordinaire.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    Fish deal supposedly done.

Sounds like the rest maybe happening too? But politics could still scupper it given it's a shit deal?

Its not done until its done but the noises sound more positive.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Davey Henig, management consultant extraordinaire.

Got an alternative take we could enjoy?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Crunch week so yes let's show them we mean business by getting the international law breach viewed through again. Good old blighty.
  • It's looking more like a deal to me right now, my earlier doom and gloom fading, albeit slightly.

Gov have announced they'll "drop" the contentious "break international law" clauses of the bill they've just, erm, voted through is the first obvious climbdown / U-turn.

Next it'll be fish (some kind of phased access rights which will be sold as a massive victory) because they obviously don't actually care about fish.

Finally we'll get "tariff free" trading by bending over backwards and taking the state aid and governance rules just the way the EU like them, and again it'll be sold as the best rogering the UK has ever had, luckily it'd cooled down a bit from the oven but this is a fabulous deal, we stood firm despite those frogs etc etc.

Bohnson off to Brussels for his pegging, and we should be just about OK*

* : OK in this context meaning we're not completely shafted as a country, just lost loads of rights, protections, GDP, investment and trust in return for "sovereignty"
  • I’m betting on a whole lot of ‘agreed transition period’ chat, whereby nothing has to change overnight on Jan 1st and instead we drop out of every EU agreement one by one over a period of years. This avoids the PR nightmare of Brexit shafting the country overnight, leaving us with death by a thousand cuts instead. (Because Johnson etc care more about how things look than how things are.)
  • Not sure the EU will fly with that.
    I understand the UK conceded a transition on fishing but that has some logic as we won't suddenly have the boats and crews come January 1st.

Bohnson breaking the rules one by one over the next 4 years I can well believe.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Bohnson breaking the rules one by one over the next 4 years I can well believe.

Aye, that I can see happening. He thinks that makes him look strong. ‘Standing up for Grate Britain.’ It actually makes him look like fucking Delboy, chancing his weak arm at every opportunity while the bigger boys aren’t looking.
  • I can't see that being a thing, actually.

The real sticking point in negotiations (the bit which Bohnson refers to emotively, when he says "But there are just limits beyond which no sensible, independent government or country could go and people have got to understand that"), is governance, or dispute resolution. Being held to account by the EU, or an "independent" tribunal when UK is seen to have broken rules they've signed up to.

It underpins every difficulty: they'd sign up to state aid restrictions if, as you say, they thought they could get away with breaking them without serious consequence (imo breaking treaty always comes with serious consequences, as others simply won't trust you and deal with you).

So, no - I don't think the EU would sign up to a deal with Bohnson which their experts felt he had even a slight chance of breaking any part of, without serious consequences baked in.
  • While that’s true the EU has been extremely lax on things like having working democracies (eg Hungary) in its membership and some of the bullshit laws passed in Poland recently where they’ve effectively cancelled the judiciary from being apolitical.

As with any trade deal you either have equal - agreed- rules or the blocs impose tariffs. It’s not that difficult of a concept. The uk government wants no rules and no tariffs - it’s stupid.
  • Her Majesty's Government - It's Stupid.
  • Deal reached on NI border checks.
    WE'RE NO LONGER BREAKING THE LAW WOOOOH!!!! in this particular instance, yet.
  • We were never going to break the law. It was a desperate, and a desperately poor, "negotiating" "tactic" designed to whip up support from Brexiteers. Everyone who voted for it should be ashamed, however transparent it was.

As for Hungary, Poland. You're talking about political ideologies. And there is still considerable pressure on Poland and Hungary. But when it comes to economics and trade...The EU will come down harder than you can imagine on trade transgressions.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    We were never going to break the law. It was a desperate, and a desperately poor, "negotiating" "tactic" designed to whip up support from Brexiteers.

Know what, if Trump had won I could believe they would have gone ahead with it.
  • Christ. That would have unimaginably cynical just a few years ago
  • Chances of Brexit deal hang on Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen dinner | Brexit | The Guardian
    I mean, the future economies of Europe and the United Kingdom are hanging in the balance and time is ticking but sure, have fucking dinner lads.

I cant imagine any crunch time I've had in work where the best approach involved first having a 3 course meal followed by coffee.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Different world innit.
    We will be paying for that dinner as well, meanwhile Gav gets a sweaty bap.
  • Boris Johnson stepping out of N0.10, his car flying through the gates of Downing St.
    A pose and a wave to the press as he boards the plane to Brussels.
    On his way to thrash out a deal, a deal for Britain.

The headlines all say the EU demands are impossible, a deal cannot be reached, the two sides are too far apart.

Boris is the man who can though, he is the man who single handedly secured the Withdrawal Agreement when nobody else was up to the task.
    He is the man who said he can Get Brexit Done and get done it done did.

Come tomorrow our leader will return deal in hand narrowly avoiding the chaos and misery the doubters said was inevitable.

/narrative
  • Conspiracy theory:

It makes sense for the negotiations to go to the wire for Johnson, if he agrees deal, because the Jan 1 deadline gives low chance for Labour and Tory rebels less time to play hardball like the did with May.
  • The result of tonight’s talk is that there will be more talks before finally deciding on Sunday what the future of any talks will be. My money’s on more talks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!