Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Yeah, it's absolutely better than no deal.
  • Jumbo Canada style deal.
    JUMBO
    JUMBO

JUMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • “The end is simply the beginning of an even longer story”
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Boris Johnson - best PM ever. Aha ha, you'll have to live with that forever.
  • Anyone else sick to the back teeth of hearing fisherman whinging?

Alright cunt, we'll just shut down the entire country so you pricks can catch some more fish we don't eat.
    Farage's fault really for giving them a cod gomplex.
  • I haven't heard any fishermen/women whinging ever but I guess I haven't been asking them what they think so hmm.
  • Plenty of it in the news leading up to and since the deal was agreed.
  • Oh I'm sure there are plenty of people from various walks of life that will be worse off because of this arrangement but getting pissy with those who are being given a brief spotlight seems churlish.
  • Thats not really what has happened with the fishing industry.
    As far as I can see they will be entitled to a larger catch and retain zero tariff on that catch, the majority of which they sell to the EU.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Thats not really what has happened with the fishing industry.
    As far as I can see they will be entitled to a larger catch and retain zero tariff on that catch, the majority of which they sell to the EU.

I kinda see it as possibly another way. The fishing community didn't get the full of what they wanted but they did get an improvement. However, while the spotlight is on them they are going to complain loudly so that additional supports and subsidies become available from the UK government.

SFV - reddave360
  • They got enough out of this while many, many others have suffered.
    Fuck the lot of them that are complaining.

Most industries will see this deal as a plus compared to no deal but a negative compared to 2016. Fuck the cunts that actually gain here then complain they aren't gaining enough.

What do the greedy pricks want? 100% fishing rights tagged with a 20,30,40% tarrif on sales of the majority of those fish back to the EU?

Then they whinge while they have to pay triple for some tomatoes in Tesco.

They don't even understand their own industry.
    I know mine, I know mine well. I know mine to the tune of 100+k lost personal revenue the past 5 years.

Deluded cunts.
  • Anyone who campaigned for this and is now complaining can get in the sea.
  • I’ve just read a bit of the ST interview and Boris sees it as a wonderful opportunity that we can now treat our animals differently to the EU. I’m presuming this just means worse and I know there’s bigger issues in there but this is just a sheesh from me. I mean that’s one of the benefits? Shitter, cheaper, meats? Dick.
  • Well, you see, we must treat animals worse and produce shittier, cheaper meats if we’re going to compete on our own supermarket shelves with the shittier, cheaper meats about to start arriving from America after our brilliant trade deal with the US.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    “All that’s really saying is the UK won’t immediately send children up chimneys or pour raw sewage all over its beaches,” he said.

How the fuck are we a sovereign nation if we can't do that??
  • US firms are already buying up cheap land in Wales and building massive indoor chicken farms.
  • On the fish thing. It’s a bit more nuanced I think. Remember that it’s the uk that was making such a political fuss about this, promising the nation that we’d have total control over our maritime area etc etc. And when Boris made his triumphant speech he rather oddly focussed on this “positive” part of the deal.

So we all know why: being able to glory in our “sovereign control” of our “great island nation’s” historic fishing waters is manna from heaven to the ears of brexiteers who have never been near a fishing boat in their lives, but have some weird obsession with our greatness at fishing.

But the detail of the deal is certainly in Europe’s favour, at least compared to what Boris and chums were claiming they were holding out for:

- over a period of 5.5 years, EU fleets will transfer 25% of their UK waters quotas to UK fleets
    - a future negotiation will determine the next phase of transition, if any, following the initial 5.5 years

That doesn’t seem amazing to me, I think that’s a thorough victory for EU negotiators in fact.

So I sympathise with fishing leaders who thought they were getting the moon, and have got instead a pale reflection of it in a muddy puddle.

And in fact I support their bitching because anything which undermines Johnson’s relentless crowing (and his sycophantic press / media bigging him up) undermines his very existence as leader. If he’s gonna focus on his amazing fishing rights deal, then I’d like fishing leaders to tell those cheering brexiteers what a load of bollocks he’s talking
  • It’s barely better than no deal I believe. No Tariffs on goods is a great short term benefit of course, but what about tariffs on services, our largest export? Financial services have been totally ignored here and are worth billions to the economy. Regardless of one’s thoughts on Bankers, this is not tax revenue to be easily replaced in the short to medium term.

There’s a lot more analysis to be done but on almost any measure the EU have negotiated a great deal for themselves, so far. For eg if we start treating animals worse, that will massively impact our ability to export to EU, given the “no regression” rules we’ve signed up to.
  • I wonder why they made such a deal. It seems bizarre that they would be so blase about financial services just remaining in the UK because we have some nice buildings.
  • Financial services will now move slowly to the EU, leaving the UK industry decimated. The EU can sell financial services to us while we can no longer sell to them.

The small gains made in fishing industry rights will be cancelled out by increased trade costs selling the fish.

The broader trade deal ensures the EU can continue to sell to the UK across any industry in which it has a surplus (ie. anything it farms/makes for export).

EU retains control of all UK business regulation and standards, while UK now has no vote in determining them.
  • djchump wrote:
    US firms are already buying up cheap land in Wales and building massive indoor chicken farms.
    I think you mean they’re investing in Britain proving all the gloomsters wrong and giving this country the vote of confidence that sourpuss treasonous Remainers refuse to.
  • We are a third party nation that got a tariff free deal with the biggest trading block in the world.
    Of course we gave up a load of stuff for it.

Individuals I can forgive for being seduced by the media crap but industry leaders should all know better.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Remainers will have to change their name. Gobackers? Returners?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Anyone who campaigned for this and is now complaining can get in the sea.

That's what fishermen tend to do
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Which actual industry leaders were pro brexit? A small but vocal minority, I suspect. Even the media were only pro it cos it was an easy story to sell, they seemed latent xenophobia in their market, and their owners are in the 1% who might conceivably benefit. Hopefully they won't, however, and they'll find a way to U-turn the narrative.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!