Hyper Light Drifter
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I have just started this.  It's not as sunny as I thought.  Have gone north but can't fight boss so pootling.  All pleasantly confusing thus far.  Annoying that it sometimes autosaves when you've got practically no health / medipacks... if I warp somewhere is there an easy place to stock back up or is it basically just tough cheese?  Town seems to want yellow credits and I can't decide what to spend those on (can upgrade medipack, but one more blob and i can sort sword or dash which seems more fun...).  Decisions, decisions...
    The important thing is that there's stuff hidden everywhere, including plenty of medipacks. It's all about exploration really.

Personally I think East is the easiest option to start with, but any should be doable.
  • Absolutely loved this - finished it last month with nearly all the triangles and guns.

Where's Horde mode though? I've been trying and failing to beat the footy game.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Can't remember where things are, but I'm sure Horde mode is in the hub area somewhere, behind a door that needs lots of keys.
  • I'll have a looksee.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I went North, and that's all cleared out now I think (four triangles anyway, and boss done).

Though 90% was excellent, and 10% really annoying.  The boss was great, but then the fourth triangle was in some pitch black maze (with a few easy-kill spiders), the end of which had an insta-kill sliding block bit where you can't even see enough to plot a route through.  Queue dying and having to do the whole effing maze again.  Twice.  Nnngggg.

Lot's to like, little bits to hate.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Gonna head East next I think.  Is it mainly the four quarters + some end game shizzle, or is there a chunk more beyond that?
  • The four areas.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I went North, and that's all cleared out now I think (four triangles anyway, and boss done). Though 90% was excellent, and 10% really annoying.  The boss was great, but then the fourth triangle was in some pitch black maze (with a few easy-kill spiders), the end of which had an insta-kill sliding block bit where you can't even see enough to plot a route through.  Queue dying and having to do the whole effing maze again.  Twice.  Nnngggg. Lot's to like, little bits to hate.
    Should've said get the dash ability early and get the hang of its timing. It's useful for a lot of the 'platforming' bits.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah I think that's the one I got (dash chaining thing, right? You get a dash/right to start with). I can time it enough to charge the grey bar thing down to the bottom. But don't really understand it. Is it different to two separate dashes? I out manage to leap over a ravine with it; what platform stuff dies it help with?
  • Cue not queue
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Yeah I think that's the one I got (dash chaining thing, right? You get a dash/right to start with). I can time it enough to charge the grey bar thing down to the bottom. But don't really understand it. Is it different to two separate dashes? I out manage to leap over a ravine with it; what platform stuff dies it help with?
    Anything where you need to move quickly. There are some crumbling platform type bits where you need to chain it together IIRC.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Cue not queue

Ooh got spot that man
  • Just getting ya back ;)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Can't remember the context but that sounds fair ;p
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Done East now, as well as North.  

Currently confused by two things: 
     - big stones with a think a gun symbol at the bottom?  What are those unlocking?
     - in each of North and East I've done four triangles, but there look to be eight max?  Each time I've met some dude who's marked a few on more map (4 and 5 respectively in each).  And there are a couple of extra routes I think I can go, but they seem hard (and I've already forgotten where they are), plus a door at each which I think needs all eight triangles to unlock.  Do I need to get all of these in due course?  Worth the effort?  Will I get a clearer map to the other 4 / 3 in due course (not that the route is exactly obvious even with the destination marked...).

I've got a couple of keys now [only unlocked one door with them though], and a yellow sword.  And less insta-death bits.  So, uh, I think I'm still basically enjoying it, which is good!  I've now got a sword which can play tennis with bullets and shuriken, which is pretty handy too.  And cash in the bank...

Westwards or Southwards??
  • Don't think South is possible until you've done the rest, or got enough keys or something.

You only need 4 triangles in each area. Everything else is optional, but there's a lot of game to uncover if you want it. My only complaint in the end was the lack of a map that keeps track of all the different bits and bobs discovered (other than the triangles), because I got to a point where there were only a few left and they could've been anywhere. Triangles are relatively easy to find even when not marked, just by looking at the map and identifying areas you haven't found one yet.

I really enjoyed the exploration aspect of the game, and was happy to take it slow, so it was worth the effort for me. Not worth it if you're in a hurry to finish and move on of course, but then I'm not sure you'll really have seen what it has to offer.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Guess I'll head West next anyway, keep the mainline momentum going. If I've got mojo after finishing the main game I may explore, but the vague map is already kind frustrating. Feels like the sense of exploration could have been retained with a bit less obscurity in some regards.
  • The map is poor. I really like traipsing around the place checking ever corner for secret areas, switches etc., especially with the music, so it didn't bother me too much. But still, it is poor.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What about those gun stones, eh?
  • Er... not sure what you mean.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Turns out they're monoliths so just collectibles from a trophy.

Anyway south indeed blocked till the other three directions done. So headed West. Two done and need one more to unlock the boss door. Three on the map but can't work out where the fuck that equates to in the actual game or how to get there. Nnnngggg.
  • Yeah I had to use a guide,especially in the South where one of them makes zero sense
  • I had to quit it. Bit too joyless for me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    And we're done. Hmmmm. Mulling it over. Still fairly positive thoughts despite the annoyances.
  • I'm playing this at last, better late than never.  I knew I wanted it based on trailers/gameplay snippets, but it turns out I didn't know much else as I'm still trying to get to grips with it.  I've only just found out it's non-linear, I thought I was being coaxed west initially but apparently not.  I had my suspicions after the first boss I found took me half an hour to beat, but I've done a spot of Googling this morning and it looks like I chose poorly.  Got a nice gun for killing that guy though, although apparently I should have spent my money on a double dash before the other things I bought (I'd spent my cubes before I spotted the dash shop, classic me).      

Liking it though, and I plan to head north next.  I'm not a huge fan of the map though.
  • The map is the worst thing about it, especially if you want to hunt down secrets later.

I think I went West first as well, and there is some variation in difficulty between the 3 directions you can choose at the start. East may be the easiest IIRC.

Other than that, I'd advise a focus on exploring, by poking around corners and edges and looking out for hidden switches. It's as big a part of the appeal as anything else.
  • Yeah, I'm a couple of hours in and searching for the numerous tucked away areas seems to be worthwhile.  Which is handy, because they're everywhere.
  • Anyone else have trouble with the timing of the double (and beyond) dash in this? I managed 25 in the training room, but taking the skills outside isn't really working for me so far. It's the first snap I can't seem to hit reliably, further dashes don't appear to require such precise timing, which is odd.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    As I recall it’s a progressively faster tap until you get up to speed. But you don’t need that many to get through the game. Think that one in the training room was one of the achievements I didn’t bother with.
  • Starting to get the hang of it maybe. Two bosses done, second was a pushover thankfully.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!