MK's weekday Question - 102
  • The answer is in the word itself.

I have never engaged in it for gaming. Used to own pirated copies of Photoshop, but gave that up a long time ago.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Monkey Island 2 is possibly my favourite game ever.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Piracy - it's well cool innit? Wasn't that the thread name?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I also tend not to do game piracy as I collect games a lot and like having the proper version. If I pirated games I'd never have got my project rainfall coin collection AND THAT DOESN'T BEAR THINKING ABOUT
  • Git. Sell it to me. I'll buy it at a high price!

I think going rate is around £45 on eBay.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Factor in my speshl editions of Last Story, Pandora and Xenoblade and you'll see I'm BIG DADDY SLOTS
  • I have it all but the coins. I'ma eBay them when I has more monies.
  • I'm all over 80s/90s ROMs and emulators, but I've never chipped or modded a modern console.  Sega don't earn anything from me buying Alien Sodier on Ebay, so they're not losing money when I download the ROM unless you count loss of a potential Virtual Console sale (which I choose not to, because I'm a dirty pirate).
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    What are your thoughts on piracy?

Honestly? I think games are overpriced, but Apple's work (and Valve's) has done much to bring things into line (even if I do hate the "app store" paradigm). I hope the trend continues, and in the coming generation, we'll hopefully see new releases at DVD/Blueray prices, whether online or on disc...

Old games though... Or "out of print" titles are fair game to some degree (that includes stuff that fans mod and rip, like Mother 3). It's fervent piracy that brings them back to mind for HD throwbacks and remakes...

In an ideal world devcos will read our minds, and roll our spliffs.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Piracy keeps everyone on their toes and fuels innovation.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano wrote:
    Piracy keeps everyone on their toes and fuels innovation.

End justifying the means? Not my cup of morals, but appreciate some people think its ok. Well. At least when it doesn't involve something reeeeeeaally bad in the means bit.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Piracy also gives me a variety of sources for the media I already own.

Like, books, comix, dvds etc.

It's more efficient to download your dvd and cd collection than rip it all...
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • i've got a broken nes and weighing up if i should go for a new version of a nes or get my old one fixed.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Gonzo wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Piracy - it's well cool innit? Wasn't that the thread name?
    Piracy - is it well ace?

Yes. I was outted as a punk pirate running round like a mad head. You were gonna do some feature for The Player.
  • I don't tend to pirate games as it is more hassle than its worth a lot of the time.  I did back in the days of the DC, but that was to mainly play imports that never hit the shores of the UK. I pirate films a lot, but buy ones I like... I don't think I would do the same with games.

In South Korea there isn't really a strict copyright law on things created, innovation as a result is a lot higher and keeps companies creating better and better products... I don't think it works like that in games.

Long story cut short... I don't know what I think.  It's good for some people, bad for others.  I do think games all holding the standard price of £40 doesn't do them any favours. Games with lower production costs should think about going in at a lower price point (I know a few games like Anarchy Reins does) to stand a chance in the market... they price themselves out and then get pirated.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    i've got a broken nes and weighing up if i should go for a new version of a nes or get my old one fixed.

Emulate the games you own, and loan out your virtual backups to your mates...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    At work we used to get free rentals so I could easily try games before buying. I'm a pretty strong impulse buyer to boot so i've got a ton of games on Steam i've barely played or not even.

Generally I don't agree with piracy as I like to give devs some money to keep going. I dislike buying preowned games even unless the devs gone defunct in the face like Kingdoms of Amalur.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Like Blur?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yes verrily like Blur. Which we seem to have 20 copies of at work preowned.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Can't remember the last time I bought anything pre-owned. I won't even buy something with the 'ESSENTIALS' / 'PLATINUM' rebranded box work.
  • I'm probably just too lazy to bother pirating things but will take what's on offer. Was fine with Blockbuster in the UK, but now I live in a place where the DVD shop down the road only does pirated stuff, so I get those.

Edit: Films that is, not games.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    o_O
  • I find with pirate games I end up not playing them, too much choice is bad with games.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Perfect example of why pirating doesn't ACTUALLY _impact_ the /core/ sales of any game.
  • Yeah. I would say for every 10 games I had pirated there was maybe 1 I would have bought.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sad days. Something went on in here a week or two ago and had a few paragraphs typed up about it but deleted them and never posted.

Proper knife's edge.

edit: we were talking about when gaming peaked for us...I was bemoaning the fact during 90odd to 95ish when I should've be enjoying games instead it was all about pirating, training and playtesting for me...I ended up deleting it and saying yeah it was good when MP over internet, (with Counter Strike) came along which was years after.
  • How can touch screen controls be improved?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • The next step is to remove touch altogether. Gesture recognition from a front facing camera.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I like in caves there'll be about an inch at the bottom where you can gesture on without your sausages blocking your view.

Other than sticking those sticks and buttons to the front they can't.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!