MK's weekday Question - 102
  • Lol
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Outsourced their new console to Sega.
    Yes please.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • The only thing MS could do that would be a genuine surprise would be to announce a handheld, more powerful than 3DS, cheaper, and with huge backing from third parties.

That'd set the cat amongst the pigeons.
  • It will be the same as PS4, the share thing will have been ripped off by now. Only difference will be Kinect 2 instead of light up controllers.

PS4 will have the edge because of the bukake streaming.
  • Sounds like MS are releasing both a Xbox mini and a new Xbox, also the always online rumours are now defunct as they were about some connected media crap.  We will soon see I guess.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • When is a sequel a real sequel? 
    As a player, do you want to see change or more of the same? How should developers strike that balance? What is important to see in a sequel? 

Can sequels over-do it? Run dry?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    FIFA games (for the most part) are not sequels, they are £40 patches. That's how to not do it.
  • Strider 2 on the Playstation was a real sequel.  Strider 2 on the Megadrive was not.
  • mk64 wrote:
    When is a sequel a real sequel?  As a player, do you want to see change or more of the same? How should developers strike that balance? What is important to see in a sequel?  Can sequels over-do it? Run dry?

I think there are a good range of what makes for an excellent sequel.

Example type 1: Refinement of an idea. Super Mario Galaxy 2 is this kind of sequel. It's basically the same game, but the ideas within each level are still for the most part new, or supplemented with extra layers of challenge (eg beat time galaxy where you have to jump according to rhythm if you want to remain alive)

Example type 2: Subversion. Take a familiar concept or series, and ignore expectations. Two good examples are Majora's Mask and Oddworld Stranger's Wrath. Both games have roots in either the series' mythology or in the case of MM, break away from it, whilst both also adjust the way the game itself is played in terms of pace (MM) or even genre (SW).

I think sequels can definitely over do it (CoD, Halo) whilst still remaining solid at the core. They can also just do enough to stop from becoming stale, yet do enough so you wouldn't want/need another (SMG2). Then you get series that are flogging dead horses like Guitar Hero/Tony Hawk etc and they should really just stop altogether.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Strider 2 on the Playstation was a real sequel.  Strider 2 on the Megadrive was not.

Yes. That US Gold crap was nasty...

Every CoD game after Modern Warfare 2 looks like an update to me... 
    Even if they are lavish updates with multi-million dollar stories attached...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Not sure if I can make a question out of this mornings thoughts but is there such a thing as an original game? Can games still be original? What was the last totally original game which blew your mind just from its originality? 
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Originality is a vastly overused word which tends to obscure the fact that pretty much all ideas that humans have ever had can have their roots traced back to other ideas. Forget when was the last original computer game, when was the last time someone had a truly original thought about anything?
  • Minecraft is pretty original, not that I played it.

I think it is extremely hard to be 100% original but there have been games this gen that have come from a totally new angle. Demon/Dark Souls are examples of games the use regular conventions but feel new and fresh.
  • minecraft i can see.. 

demon souls/dark souls looks like 100 games which game before it even if it feels slightly different.
  • Katamari Damacy comes to mind.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Looking at my Steam list, Left 4 Dead struck me as unique at the time. Zombies are one of the most milked tropes of all time but the 4 player co-op/8 player versus wasn't like anything i'd played before. Lost hours and hours and hours to that game when it came out.
  • The multiplayer mechanics of Dark Souls are just one of the things that make it original. Then there's the verticality of the world which still impresses me.
  • Steve "Increpare" Lavelle has been my go-to guy for raw novelty for a while. He does a lot with precious little. I don't always get on with the work but in terms of The Newness, yeah.
  • Nothing lately springs to mind.

That Hexagon game was pretty original. I didn't like it.
  • There is probably more in the mobile game sort of area.

Angry Birds, Cut the Rope things like that are basic physics puzzle games but are quite different to anything that has been before (cue someone given an example of they copied).
  • Space chem.

Crayon physics.

That's about it.
  • Yeah, I guess Wetrix was phsyics based too but different enough for the others to have some originality.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'd say with videogames, simply looking for inspiration from the world of videogames misses the point. Arguably, AB was simply the videogame equivalent of a child who has built a structure out of building blocks chucking things at it to knock it down.
  • Scribblenauts, I guess.
  • The idea behind Portal was new to me, and it's hard to imagine a better first attempt than the original.  I'm sure there were 2D games that messed around with teleporters and such, but none spring to mind, and to execute the idea so well in a 3D environment was genius.
  • I'm going to go waay back a bit and say the only game I can think off that potentially wasn't building on a previous one was 'The Sentinel'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V_pgo3vgiI
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The idea behind Portal was new to me, and it's hard to imagine a better first attempt than the original.  I'm sure there were 2D games that messed around with teleporters and such, but none spring to mind, and to execute the idea so well in a 3D environment was genius.

Hadn't it already been done in Prey?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The idea behind Portal was new to me, and it's hard to imagine a better first attempt than the original.  I'm sure there were 2D games that messed around with teleporters and such, but none spring to mind, and to execute the idea so well in a 3D environment was genius.
    Hadn't it already been done in Prey?

It had portals in it (only played the demo), but weren't they just to get from A to B (or upside down on ceilings etc)?  The placing of the portals manually to solve puzzles is what struck me as original in Portal.  Definitely an evolution of existing ideas though, taken to another level by whoever thought of the portal gun.
  • Yeah, Prey just had portals places which would take you somewhere specific, you couldn't manipulate them.

How about stuff like Braid? I know Braid's gameplay is essentially Mario in the sense it is a 2D platformer (and obviously copied it by design), but the time manipulation element of all the levels, and the story were original. To me.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Again, you can find the roots to it. Prince of Persia introduced the time rewinding as a more advanced version of a checkpoint, Braid certainly took that idea and ran with it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!