Star Fox - Do a barrel roll!!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Star Fox on the snes was amazing 25 (?) years ago. Today, not so much.

Damn, your only 2 years off. Makes me feel old.

I played it last night actually, I still love it but I know what you mean. Early 3D games haven't aged as gracefully as their sprite based counterparts.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sfzero can be really fiddly.

I think however I can see why they went with the variety that thry have rather than a polished version of original starfox, because I think a purely rails shooter would have been kind of boring. But that doesn't excuse some of the control schemes. The chicken is kind of bad.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sin and Punishment was a lot better with motion controls, but the Wiimote felt like a natural extension of your arm

Woah, was this released with light gun style controls at some point? Wii virtual console or back catalogue or something, because if so I may just buy a wii at some point. Loved that game and always wanted to play it with a gun
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Only sin and punishment 2
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's enough, although are there easy ways to get motion controls onto PC as might just emulate instead
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I think I'm in on this today. The videos do look fun.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Sin and Punishment was a lot better with motion controls, but the Wiimote felt like a natural extension of your arm. I always liken it to how shit light gun games are with a pad compared to a gun. Even I'm guilty of it just then but they're also not really motion controls, they're pointer controls.
    I always thought the Wii was the perfect time for a new Starfox. The controls on that could have been great. Feels like they've waited too long now.
  • Should be picking this up from the post office later as I missed the delivery yesterday.

Hoping that it does not take to long to click with the controls. Most reviews I have watched/read reckon it's a good few hours before it clicks(which I have no problem with) & it when it does, it's really meant to add to the experience(which may go some way to killing my hankering for yesteryear controls).

The only real gripe I have, aside from control shiz, is the map. From what I have read/watched, it seems to drop kick 64's difficulty ref progression & secrets. Allowing you to mop up by picking a level(once played) rather than an epic fly through of an entire route from start to finish which I kinda of loved about 64.

Still, looking forward to it (even Project Guard has grown on me a little, which I didn't think was possible from its E3 tech demo thang), as it's been to long since the Namco & DS games, (which I did enjoy btw) tho wether it can steal my limited sofa game time from the excellent Darksouls 3 is another matter entirely. That game is the mutts nutts & apart from the odd few games of Smash & Pokken against my kids & online, has dominated my free couch play.
  • Tempy wrote:
    If it was from google you usually have to click "view image" and then copy the image address.

Noted, thanks for the tip.
  • JonB wrote:
    Sin and Punishment was a lot better with motion controls, but the Wiimote felt like a natural extension of your arm. I always liken it to how shit light gun games are with a pad compared to a gun. Even I'm guilty of it just then but they're also not really motion controls, they're pointer controls.
    I always thought the Wii was the perfect time for a new Starfox. The controls on that could have been great. Feels like they've waited too long now.

Nunchuck + WiiRemote+ would have been the ideal control scheme for Starfox.

Still looking forward to this as I love the SNES and N64 games and this does look most similar to them.

I tried playing SF 64 on the Gamepad the other night and N64 games just do not translate well to other controllers for the vast majority of games.
  • I tried playing SF 64 on the Gamepad the other night and N64 games just do not translate well to other controllers for the vast majority of games.

I got that because of the offer and thought the same thing but you can remap the buttons. It's still not perfect but you can make it a lot more playable the the default setting.

They should release an N64 pad for Wii U, I'd buy it along with most of the VC games in a heartbeat.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I got that because of the offer and thought the same thing but you can remap the buttons. It's still not perfect but you can make it a lot more playable the the default setting. They should release an N64 pad for Wii U, I'd buy it along with most of the VC games in a heartbeat.

I remapped the buttons, but because of placement and muscle memory, it's not the same.

I'd buy an N64 Virtual Console controller in a heartbeat.

Four of them.
  • All that white gunk in the joy stick bit.

764012845006254.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'd take Lylat Wars to my desert island. Could finish it over and over. Had all the medals etc. Top stuff.
  • If I can pick this up for about £20 I'll get it. GC game it a good review and I trust them far more than thousands of others.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'd take Lylat Wars to my desert island. Could finish it over and over. Had all the medals etc. Top stuff.

Desert island games is a thread we should have.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    All depends on whether this island has a decent internet connection.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    <rings bell> The game! The game!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Didn't like SNES Starfox - the slide show framerate put me off. The N64 game is excellent but for some reason I never really stuck with it. Baffled there was no proper Gamecube and Wii followup.

Re Sin & Punishment - I tried the WiiWare version and couldn't get on with the controls. Have since procured the original cartridge and it plays much better with the N64 controller (though I have to navigate a JPN menu but its quite import friendly). S&P2 is in my pile of shame - an earlier post claiming Rez redundancy means I really must get into it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Was looking forward to this having loved the previous 2 but the controls was one of the best things, felt really fluid. May check this out at some point.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I sort of reserved a first print edition yesterday, hoping I could pick it up today but no message. Gonna give them a week, guess both zero and guard will be on the eshop? Should have done that anyway.

Never really played a Star Fox before, so no nostalgic feelings that will be crushed.
  • Game charged me twice for this.

They're fucking useless.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Main game done. Somehow wandered on to the hard route(I think) as I missed 2 of the bottom stages. Not even a sniff of a gold medal on any level but did nab a silver on all.

First level had me beaming like an idiot & I was wondering what all the fuss was ref the controls. Then I hit the first boss & it went to shit. Smacked in some practice & nailed it, though was still not happy with the controls, that would come later & then only with the Arwing.

Enjoyed it tho, not sold on all the changes & there was times the game only felt difficult because of the method of transport for that level/controls. Will be going back to mop up & unlock the other levels, whilst honing my skills to nab golds.

Best Fox since 64, but not good enough to topple it. Even with standard controls I reckon I would feel the same. Some levels were crud, others amazing, but most, if not all were in 64's shadow ref design & genius, with maybe only the final level on Zero edging out the 64 finale.
  • Just done the first 3 levels and it's OK.

I don't know if I played it wrong but I don't see the complaints of having to look at dual screens. I just put the cockpit view on the TV and played it that way.

So everything was going smoothly, took down a boss and had a good dog fight but then came the third level...

The Walker, oh god the fucking walker. It controls awfully and I don't mean motion controls. Why the fuck doesn't it just use dual analog?

Instead it controls like a 1990s FPS, you have to hold LZ to strap with the right analog used to boost forward with up, dodge left and right and hoover with down. It's shocking!

I stumbled though that dying a couple of times because of the controls and got to a section with a hoover vehicle which controlled fine and finished the level.

That's enough for tonight but I'm quite worried about that walker.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The walker feels like using 3 analogs sticks at once.  Tricky/over compicated for sure, but i'm pretty slick in one now.  I reckon if I had stuck with using the motion controls for Splat I would not of struggled as much as I did.  Pretty boss in one now, tho only because of repeat play throughs of a certain level.

The landmaster has caused me the most grief so far, which is odd.  The all range mode on it & a certain level & enemy type had me cussing Shig's name.
  • I think the walker is supposed to control exactly like the normal mode of the arwing. Dumb. It's worth playing the training and getting practice with the vehicles though (my top score on Walker training is 103!)

Played some project guard with my partner. Lots of fun but hyper stress at times at only the sixth level.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I quite enjoyed this, but I imagine Nintendo won't have.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY
  • Yeah that was pretty good.

I don't think things will turn out well for Star Fox in episode two.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!