Star Fox - Do a barrel roll!!
  • Some of the reviews of this are ridiculously low. While I appreciate the controls during targeting mode and in the walker are fiddly, for the majority of the game plays fine and is very enjoyable. Some really good set pieces and its fun switching between vehicles to tackle different parts of the levels. Pure [7]
  • Birdorf wrote:
    I quite enjoyed this, but I imagine Nintendo won't have. https://youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY

This was bizarrely unshite.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I'd take Lylat Wars to my desert island. Could finish it over and over. Had all the medals etc. Top stuff.
    Desert island games is a thread we should have.

Was only thinking about this the other day...

I feel a new thread coming on...
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Anyway, I actually came in here to say that I've just read the Edge review and whilst they gave it a [7], the review itself read like an [8]. Sounds like the kind of game I'll enjoy.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We've had a desert island games before I think. There was much hoo-ha about whether you had an Internet connection and hence online MP (but arguably the means to also tell people where your desert island was...)
  • If anyone's after the first print edition, they have some at The Game Collection. £60.00 though.
  • Walker mode is shit
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Revised opinion: did the training mode and noticed immediate improvement. It's awkward as fuck at the start but obviously you can get good at it. 

Terrible first impressions probably don't help.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • So is this worth £20?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Yes. Maybe. It's decent enough, but not great. Join the Swap Club and you can borrow it after others. Muzzy is getting it first. Not sure if there is anyone else in the queue. 

I'm not too keen on some of the levels. But by God a couple of the later levels are great. I got a bit better at the controls by the end.
  • This thread isn't in Game Index which I why I about it in WiiU thread.

Ok, @I_R, sort it!!!
  • Vela wrote:
    Walker mode is shit

I hit a brick wall on that level and haven't gone back since.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • That level with the gyro where you need to switch off some lasers... That was crap beyond crap. 

That level near the end where you're going really fast, and need to weave in and out of structures while shooting... That was great. The return to Corneria was great too.
  • That level was awesome, also enjoyed the one with 3 missiles.....eventually.

Gyro level was for sure one of the worst levels I have played in any game of late.

Need to return to this for the secrets, but game time is suffering atm due to free time which is annoying as I have barely scratched Fire Emblem/Overwatch also.
  • I take it back. Walker level is still shit.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Star Fox on the snes was amazing 25 (?) years ago. Today, not so much.

It's true. It's a bit ropey now, but very few shooters have the same character.
    It was the little intercom thingy that made the game. And possibly the early physics system.

For example, I picked up Futuridium on the Vita, looking at the graphics and expecting big things...
    The game though, had no character, and no physics.

It's not even close. Though it would like to be.

As for Starfox itself, did anyone ever play the second game on the SNES (emu)?
    Total crap.

I wish they didn't bother with the vehicles, but Starfox 64 is still good.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I have fond memories of the snes original. That last level was awesomes.
  • Played the second one recently on SNES.  Ambitious, but you can see why it was cancelled.  Having not played the original much at the time (half a level, maybe), I'm not particularly fond of it and contentiously gave it a (generous) [7] at a recent RetroK retro session.  It was a huge step forward in '93, but often the games that pushed things on don't stand up to scrutiny decades later.  Look at Virtua Racing on Megadrive; it's quite smooth and chucked some polys around, but the game is crap compared to plenty of racers considered average at the time.

Lylat Wars on the other hand, now that's a classic.
  • where does the gamecube one stand? i managed to pick up the NTSC version for quite a decent price, yet to load it up.
  • So Star Fox Zero has co-op!

Basically one person plays with traditional controls on the Pro Controller whilst the player with the Gamepad deals with the cockpit shooting.

The game was borderline broke to me in 1 player but it's now one of the best games in years I've played with couch co-op.

Would recommend anyone who has it on the shelf to give it a go with a friend, especially if like me you struggled with the single player controls.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!