Nioh
  • Subbax, the onmyo magic skill tree is worth opening up when it becomes available. I found sloth, block ki regeneration and guardian spirit spells really useful.

When the toril gate or whatever its called becomes available, it can be fun to jump in with a stranger on co-op. Help them finish the level or beat a boss. In return you'll get some Ochuhu cups, which you can use if you ever need help with a particularly annoying boss. There are other ways to get the cups as well.

Personally after I've beaten a boss, I'll jump onto online co-op for that level to help someone with the boss and get some cups myself. Pay it forward..
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've not heard of ochuhu cups just yet so will keep an eye out. If my choice of weapons at the start doesn't matter at all, I'll start using some of the others to get points.

Didnt scroll down on the ninja tree so only just seen the bonuses down there. Choice.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Im stuck at boss in
    Spoiler:
    near start.
  • cut, dodge, it's all in the mind.
  • Yeh if he even hits me once im done though,
    One hit will knock me down and he finishes me before i can get up.

I pumped a lot of stuff in stamina and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Il get past it eventually, just need to be in the mood for it i guess.
  • I beat him with a spear I think. Low stance lets you dodge fairly quickly, medium stance gives you decent damage, The best advice is, like Souls, don't get hit. It's a bit faster, but not much different. His tells are pretty massive, like him. Dodging his thrown balls after he breaks his chains is the hardest part.
  • I used the spear at that stage too. It's hard because you really don't have options early on, just dodge, block and hit.

It was his spinning attack that bothered me for ages. I just started blocking it in the end, even though it takes out all your stamina. Better than trying to dodge it after you've got in close to hit him. The rest of his attacks are pretty slow, just have to time dodges right.
  • Spend a few hours playing online helping folk out. I waited 10 seconds at most before the game found me someone. There are alot of folk out there wanting help. Didn't set any conditions so got called to lots of random levels. A few boss fights that I got called to repeatedly. What I didn't realise was how much Amrita I accumulated while helping. 900,000 amrita. That was enough for me to level up a few times.

Btw, The sickle and chain weapon is freaking devastating at higher levels. Watching peeps go to town with that is a sight. I really should try it. It's pretty interesting playing with others, people using spells and magic that I've never seen or utilising weapons that I also use with attacks that I have no idea how they are doing.

Blinding game.
  • digi wrote:
    Im stuck at boss in
    Spoiler:
    near start.

If you need help and have any summing cups available. Let me know. I'll be on it from 7pm tonight.

• Dinostar77 wrote:
    digi wrote:
    Im stuck at boss in
    Spoiler:
    near start.

If you need help and have any summing cups available. Let me know. I'll be on it from 7pm tonight.
    Whats a summoning cup and how do i get them?

I generally try and beat a game once without summons though so id prefer not too.

Il try spear later.

Girlfriends watching last few episodes of fargo season 1.
  • http://www.gosunoob.com/nioh/how-to-play-coop-nioh/

Like Jon and Tempy said, it's a matter of learning the bosses attacks and you'll get there.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I just got to the first boss, getting much more confident in my abilities with the tonfa and spear. Mid spear has a really short first hit, which is awkward.

Was doing alright, had no elixir left and got greedy when he fell down on low health. Wrecked me when he got up.

Looking forward to having another crack tomorrow before work.
  • Pretty much spent the day helping folk out. Got past my personal roadblock as well. Then went back to help others with said level and boss, plus it's a good level for farming. Up to 350,000 amrita for a level up.

I'm now 15 levels below the recommended level for the missions going forwards.

So far Ive completed every sub mission apart from the most recent one as it's an utter bastard. No shine so you can't call for help and just a nasty level. I googled it and it's apparently the most hated level in the game. That's some praise. Anyway I may come back to it in a future point.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    The 'recommended levels' are inflated to say the least, especially in NG+ (Way of ??? forgive my memory). 

There comes a point in all these games where your SL is kinda soft-capped and spending levels for the sake of 99-ing a particular stat is kinda silly. Obviously none of that applies if you're playing that Legendary type one-shot difficulty they introduced in the last DLC. But fuck that noise!

I need to get back on this. But its not like Souls where you can fall back into the rhythm after a few months away - this shit is complex and manually dextrous.

@Dinostar77 - Are you on PSN? Add me if you are. I love coop in this game, because the summoning system is utter perfection. I wish Souls games were so effortless with their Phantom mechanics.
  • Curtis, will do. I'm on psn. Not finished the game yet so you'll probably be way ahead of me in character stats. My character is level 92.

Don't normally do dlc for this I may.
  • Just heat a tough ass motherfecker of a boss. Hands are shaking and heart beating so fast. Lol. That was souls like. Damn.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I'm through to the lady boss of the caverns.  She stunned me a lot.  First attempt always has lots of dodging from me but not quick enough.
  • I hated her, I died alot on her.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Had to pause it there, the bit just before was tense enough!

Would it be ruining anything if I asked for tips on prestige points? Any particular choices that are best?

Also what is break? See it on a few weapons.
  • Subbax wrote:
    I'm through to the lady boss of the caverns.  She stunned me a lot.  First attempt always has lots of dodging from me but not quick enough.
    You can avoid being stunned and other status effects if you equip the right charms and armour. That fight was much easier once I got my stun resistance over a certain number.
  • Subbax wrote:
    Had to pause it there, the bit just before was tense enough!

Would it be ruining anything if I asked for tips on prestige points? Any particular choices that are best?

Also what is break? See it on a few weapons.

Break, is how much ki damage you are doing to your enemy while they are blocking you.

Prestige points: combat damage, life and living weapon are all good choices.

Two tips that I wish someone had told me.
    1) when you have stuff you want rid of, don't sell it to the blacksmith or have it dismantled (latter only important if your gonna play NG+), your best off offering the said stuff at the shrine for amrita.

2) when the torll gate becomes available on your map, go help some other people online. You can only help on missions you've completed yourself. It's a good way to get to get a batch of summoning stock for yourself. Also you can build up a stack of amrita to help you level up.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    One tip that absolutely no-one i've played online with seems to know is: the two-horned brutish Yokai can be crumpled with a simple Stone. Spacing is key, then just lob one at his head and he'll fall flat on the floor. Dash up for the backstab while he's down and it's an easy kill.

The one-horned slightly more aggressive Yokai can be floored with an arrow to the head. Anything wearing a helmet: use your rifle. Also, the XL punchy Yokai that flings boulders is really weak to fire.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I didn't know that. I've been using a lot of vertical strikes to try and get that crumple, and failed arrow attempts!

I've got the backstab skill and whilst it looks like the animation of my guy changes, it's not an animation that really looks like a backstab. The enemy turns round straight away and if I don't back up, they usually start attacking immediately.

I've seen a parry skill for the dual katana but is there one for any of the other weapons?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    You need the stealth skill (can't remember the name) off the Ninja tree to perform a proper back-stab finisher. You then have to walk very slowly up behind the enemy, when the reticle turns red, attack.

The Katana has a couple of parry moves.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, I've got the skill, have been behind a few people and when I press triangle he stabs forward. I just don't expect the guy I'm stabbing to immediately turn round and attack me.

I was using the massive sword, don't think that matters.
  • @curtis, that stone tip is great.

Killed a boss on my first go, love when that happens. I think I'm near the end of the game, "Demon King revealed" is my next mission.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    Yeah, I've got the skill, have been behind a few people and when I press triangle he stabs forward. I just don't expect the guy I'm stabbing to immediately turn round and attack me. I was using the massive sword, don't think that matters.

Nah, you (and me) are clearly missing something. The proper (canned) animation will be him thrusting his sword straight through the enemy, then using his leg for leverage to pull the sword back out while kicking the enemy to the floor. Maybe it only works on Katanas? :/
  • Works for spears as well. Defo need sneak skill and backstabbing skill though
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, the video shows what I expected and has a katana. Got the skills and they're equipped.

Ah, just had a quick read and I think I was trying it on the big yokai and the human sized ones. It doesn't work on them, only humans.

People also mentioned the reticle having a dark red and bright red where it'll only work on bright red so I'll just check again when I get back to it.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I'm really getting into this now. Finished off the second boss lady, did a bunch of side missions and now I'm in some sort of underground shrine with some lass. 

Levelling some sword skills currently but just picked up a pretty sweet kusarigama. Not really sure about build so just levelling stats to get armour and then a bit of this, bit of that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!