The Clobber Thread (Sartorial Elegance)
  • Roujin wrote:
    GUYS I WANT TO BUY AN ARAN JUMPER BUT WITH A HOOD, PREFEREABLY BLACK OR DARK GREY BUT APPARENTLY I AM TOO FASHION FORWARD FOR THE INTERNET. HAS ANYONE SEEN ONE OR KNOW A GOOD PLACE THAT MIGHT DO ONE.

If not copyright me. I'm totally cornering the market.

All Saints had one a season or so back, no idea if still.

• Thanks stoph, I had a look but I think they're gone.

I found a non aran but really heavy knit dark grey hoodie on amazon so I'll settle for that while the hunt continues.

Tons of them for women it seems though!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    So just get the women's one, being outerwear I doubt the cut will be massively different
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ah, they might out him at the T&G.

This sort of thing (never a child!), but in a higher quality? Funny detailing, but there's a hood. Potential for looking like Ronan Keating: high.
  • Yeah like that Escape, only like even more aran style and when I read it was made by nepalese dudes but I'm only gonna pay £45 for it I start feeling the Adam Curtis rising up within. 

I would get a women's one Cocko but I'm pretty tall (6'3") so I have concerns about getting a ladies sizing that is gonna work. I usually have to go for XXL stuff and that's supermarket not giving a fuck XXL, high street bullshit shops like River Island are having a laugh these days with their sizing it seems, fucking skinnybois fashion meta ruining it for us burly bear men these days it seems. 

As an interim I have gone for this thing as it is pretty chunky in the knit and looks like I am a rando npc from Fallout. 

617RfKaN4FL.jpg
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • T I N Y B O D Y B O Y Z
  • You are lucky that when the big body meta returns irl I will save save you from my burly compatriots tempy. 

You shall ride at my side as my squire, or possibly bondsmen, I haven't decided yet. You will get to spend your days lighting my fire, polishing my club, it probably won't get pederastic despite the previous two activities, but I dunno how stronk the partriarchal overtones in society will become so I guess we'll have to just take it as it comes.
  • Nexx wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Picked up a nice suit from Hackett. Maybe my new go to.
    I need to find a new go to Suit brand. I was getting De Fursac suits when I was going to Paris with work but the exchange rate has made them a bit pricier. A Hackett store has just opened near work so may give one a try.

Feels robust, and a nice fit.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Picked up a nice suit from Hackett. Maybe my new go to.
    I need to find a new go to Suit brand. I was getting De Fursac suits when I was going to Paris with work but the exchange rate has made them a bit pricier. A Hackett store has just opened near work so may give one a try.
    Feels robust, and a nice fit.

Silly question but I wonder about how my firm are perceived. Does the fact that Moss Bros often have windows screaming out that you can get a suit for about £150 put some of you or your workmates off shopping there? We have a couple of premium stores that don't do this and only carry the premium lines, but the same Cerruti and Zegna suits can also be bought anywhere. Don't get me wrong the Ted Baker and Moss London lines are shocking crap and I wouldn't go near them but the 1851 and STG lines, despite being own brand are really very good, plus the big labels are also available

Just intrigued as I'm never sure if we are trying to compete with Next and M&S or with TM Lewin and Tyrhwhitt, seems to me we try and attack on both fronts, and I wonder what you guys think when you think Moss
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Aside from off-the-peg generally not working for my slight dimensions, I care little as long as there's no poly in the material.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tailored or nothing. I hate suits though
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • My perception of Moss Bros is that its a cheap suit place.  The kind of place a student goes to get their first suit from, lower than TM Lewin etc.  Granted I haven't actually been in one for a while, didn't even know that they sold premium suits.

M&S are the best place to get a decent suit from on the high street.  I'd be alright with wearing one with a bit of tailoring.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    We don't do full MTM, but neither do most competitors, despite their claims. We do a few tailoring services though. Only really the five standard measurements taken, but full freedom of fabric, lining, canvas and extra details. Was amused by a lad here who went to a competitor for a full made to measure service (as he's huge across the chest) only to find out that they use the same Dutch tailor that we do and despite them taking a bunch of extra measurements, none would get used
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That was my initial thinking as well Nexx, which was why I wondered whether that was what put people off. It seems strange that I can buy a poly piece of crap in the same place I can get a lovely full canvas, pure wool tailored item
  • Different price points, shoorly?
  • I hate wearing a suit but had to buy one last month.
    I went into probably ten different stores. I did find some of the suits in Moss to be surprisingly better than the marketing would have you believe.
    If I am honest I only went in there because I decided to rent a kilt rather than buy a suit. Moss has always been the rental place in my mind.

One thing about Moss that puts them above Next etc is that their staff seem to know what they are on about. I would put them on a par with John Lewis in terms of range from low end to high (JL probably go a bit higher), having an experienced member of staff and offering tailoring.

I think perhaps Moss could benefit from dedicated marketing for those higher end suits. A "Moss Premium Collection" type label with its own branding tool kit and dedicated space in store.
  • I also think the stores are due a resign because the two near me look stuck in 2005 and are a bit tatty.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Massively different, but unlike a car dealership, where despite Mercedes selling stuff from 20k to 250k, it all has a certain minimum standard of finish, this stuff doesn't. The £100 suits are quite obviously £100 suits, yet they're next to some lovely pieces, hell the own brand shirt I'm wearing right now is one of the comfiest shirts I've owned, soft heavy cotton, split yoke, split dart, yet it stands next to another own brand label which will have so much poly that the static would make me look like Yahoo Serious
  • The name is associated with rentals. Went to look at the "bespoke" place in Liverpool street and found out, from the car salesman located therein, it wasn't bespoke so decided against it. Never bought an MB suit. Hugo Boss, Spencer Hart, Paul Smith and Hackett tbh. Very tired of Boss, seem top be on to a winner with Hackett. Comfortable decent fit off the peg, not too pricey for wearing into the ground.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's pretty much what I expected to hear. I was the same way, until I got here the last time I'd heard the name was renting a tux for a summer ball back in the mid nineties

Just amazes me that in our current economic state the target is to double profit in three years, and overtake M&S and Next as the largest formalwear retailers. This seems at odds with the other stated aims of bringing a couple more labels on board to give presence, and adding perceived quality to the own brand stuff under the same roof

Sorry you got a car salesman though Griff, I know the manager of that store and he's a lovely bloke, was about to call him knowledgable and remembered he was the bloke who said the thing about buttons being different sides
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Neither sartorial nor elegant, but was thinking about this exact sweatshirt the other day, didn't realise it had been reissued

adi-eqt-crew-sweat-black-5.jpg
  • Can only tolerate logos on kicks.
  • Not exactly fashion but here are guides I wrote on rash guards:

What is a rash guard.

Rash guards are worn as a second skin to protect the body from irritation and from the environment. Constructed from technical fabrics, the rash guard wicks away sweat from the skin. As the fabric draws sweat in, it’s lightweight fibres increase the surface area encouraging more sweat to evaporate.

How to choose a good rash guard.

The rashguard is worn as a baselayer under other garments and as a stand alone item. It's a piece of performance clothing and for people just starting an activity or hobby it can be confusing knowing what to look for.
    Here's Fierce Edge's guide to choosing and wearing a rashguard.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    8pDyV2A.jpg

It is now winter, I also finally used my staff discount, under £40
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Get that ear seen to.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Damn I could do with a good winter coat right now.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I didn't know else I'd have mentioned it on here, but it seems it's sample sale day. Prices are mental

Just got two three piece suits (DKNY and Zegna), a jacket, 6 formal shirts, two casual, 4 ties, £70 the lot
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yes, and while the Moss London and Esquire are pretty horrible, our 1851 and Savoy Tailors Guilds labels are really good quality
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I didn't know else I'd have mentioned it on here, but it seems it's sample sale day. Prices are mental

Just got two three piece suits (DKNY and Zegna), a jacket, 6 formal shirts, two casual, 4 ties, £70 the lot

Flipping hell that's cheap.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!