adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Why are this, Shenmue III and Pokemon out in the same month? I'm not made of time!!!
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'm pretty staunchly in the A camp, with some exceptions.. For games like Shadow Of Mordor and Just Cause 3 I would eventually start to fast travel around, once I stopped giving a shit about the uninteresting and unreactive world (still not finished them). I think I probably have a higher chance of wanting to fast travel in third person ratgher than first person perspectives. I think if emergent stuff actually happened in those games, like in SoM if you could affect patrols and the orc population and they didn't just spawn constantly making your actions meaningless, I would perhaps never use fast travel and enjoy messing with the world more.

For all role playing first person type games I basically never use FT, unless it's silt striders or wagons then I might occasionally partake. The journey and the small events that happen along the way are really important to the experience for me, and more interesting than whatever scripted mission I might be heading to.

It depends a bit on the game world as to how much I enjoy traipsing about, if there's enough detail and stuff then I will happily spend most of my time playing doing that. If the game has been made correctly, the world itself will be like a character.

It's to do with immersion, and technology is really amping that effect up, Kindom Come: Deliverance had a vast world of incredible detail and changing beauty, there often wasn't much happening on the roads and trails but it didn't matter, the lighting, sound design, attention to historical detail and overall vibe made it properly wonderfully escapist for me. That actually had quite a good fast travel system; you would see your little character icon move along the map with clock progressing, and if you got near to somebody or something to be aware of it would slow down and give you time to jump back in. There were even perks to do with fast travel to give you greater sight radius.

If Death Stranding has extended sections with nothing to do but tread along, viewing the wild landscape and listening to the ambient sounds and music, then I will be blissfully happy to spend time in there.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I warned you all.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Fuck y'all let's get kojd
    Qft
    The Forum Herald™
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Quick poll: A. - You never like to use fast travel in open world games, except in special circumstances or if it's thematically integrated into the game. B. - You use it often when you feel like it or are impatient. C. - You'll use fast travel all the time whenever the opportunity arises, to get between locations and to progress as fast as possible.

B. Especially if the 'fast travel' option is between waypoints scattered around the map, like BotW.
    Fuck crossing the whole map on foot or horse for the best part half an hour with some kind of plan, only for a Lynel to blitz you.

That's what I liked about the memory challenge. It encouraged you to stop warping, but accepted you might not scour the map like it's gainful employment.

I might load up this weekend, actually...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Fuck crossing the whole map on foot or horse for the best part half an hour with some kind of plan, only for a Lynel to blitz you.

This stuff is exactly why I love to travel naturally, I like to make a plan and sort of play the role of my character in thinking ahead, then when a bunch of crazy stuff happens it forces you to adapt and make new plans. It's like making your own stories vs just warping places and playing through a sequence of mostly pre-determined events.

I was thinking about GTA, and how I would really rather the whole 'story' would just go away, to be integrated naturally into the world. That's the dream anyway, I think with the advance in CPU power this next gen that kind of experience might become possible. Maybe a couple more gens, I don't know.
  • Just watched the YongYea review. Interesting control mechanics - requiring trigger buttons to balance while walking. Sounds like there's a lot of gamification of elements that are usually automated.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I said similar things in the RDR2 thread, Gurt. The best moments are the unscripted emergent stuff.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Are we predicting an Edge [7] then?
    According to Nathan, Edge won’t have a review this month because the embargo demanded the game be finished before it was reviewed (according to others this is because plot elements are fairly back ended) and he found it incredibly dull so didn’t finish it. Next issue has a ‘preview’ of 40 hours of gameplay with no score attached.
    Or put it this way: I told my wife this morning that the Death Stranding reviews were out and she said, 'Oh, is that the game about backpacks that you hated?'
    Lmfao!

Might be completely subjective, but that's as funny as fuck.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Only for a Lynel to cost you all your weapons because you’ve broken them all over their head while tediously doing that backflip thing.

FTFY.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Need the rolling eyes emoticon...

Anyway...

Bored to Death Stranding, obviously...
  • Just watched the YongYea review. Interesting control mechanics - requiring trigger buttons to balance while walking. Sounds like there's a lot of gamification of elements that are usually automated.

Yeah these little things can really add up. I just started playing Observer, and it has a great mechanic for opening doors and drawers and such, you look at stuff then hold down the right trigger and move the right analogue stick. It seems like a silly thing but it's amazing how it helps to make you feel like a physical part of the world.
  • I haven't consumed a single sentence of review copy because why the fuck would I.
  • I'm interested to see what the gameworld looks like 6+ months down the line - just how different gameplay is after players have been building stuff and what community groups are doing.

I've a feeling that if this MP system proves popular, Kojima will have gone and invented a new game sub-genre.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I haven't been reading up on the MP stuff. Is this potentially gonna be better during the launch window then? I wasn't massively planning on getting it straight away but it waiting will make it a worse experience...
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    I’m very curious.
    I like the idea of a game where things occur at a “normal” pace. Just walking across an empty landscape? Sounds lovely.
    rest less
  • There's multi in this? huh
  • I'm glad this sort of batshit stuff still gets made, but having watched a couple of spoiler-free reviews, I don't think this is a game for me.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just watched the YongYea review. Interesting control mechanics - requiring trigger buttons to balance while walking. Sounds like there's a lot of gamification of elements that are usually automated.

Yeah these little things can really add up. I just started playing Observer, and it has a great mechanic for opening doors and drawers and such, you look at stuff then hold down the right trigger and move the right analogue stick. It seems like a silly thing but it's amazing how it helps to make you feel like a physical part of the world.

I swear a couple other games do something similar. Doesnt Edith Finch?
  • Brooks wrote:
    There's multi in this? huh
    Not really.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I'm glad this sort of batshit stuff still gets made, but having watched a couple of spoiler-free reviews, I don't think this is a game for me.

I would pay good money to watch you swear through this. You love inventory management and that's this game.

• g.man wrote:
    I'm glad this sort of batshit stuff still gets made, but having watched a couple of spoiler-free reviews, I don't think this is a game for me.

A game about batshit might be ok the first time but yeah, with sequels it might get a little jaded.

Batshit 2 had a bigger map and better graphics but it really didn't evolve the genre too much.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • g.man wrote:
    Get off the fence G, it looks like self indulgent wank.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:

Dark Souls style breadcrumbs with knobs on.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Knobcrumbs?
  • Brooks wrote:

Dark Souls style breadcrumbs with knobs on.

The gamespot review was very enthusiastic about the souls like multiplayer aspect. As people can leave items behind and complete your post delivers for you for items youve lost during travels or something.
  • Tempy wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    Are we predicting an Edge [7] then?

According to Nathan, Edge won’t have a review this month because the embargo demanded the game be finished before it was reviewed (according to others this is because plot elements are fairly back ended) and he found it incredibly dull so didn’t finish it. Next issue has a ‘preview’ of 40 hours of gameplay with no score attached.

Nathan sounds a little unprofessional with his comments, isn't it his job to finish and review it.

Maybe someone else on the team (Jon b for instance) shoulda got this review instead.
    Seems like a pretty shitty attitude to have to having a game so early and a job to do to just say I can't be botherd I'm not doing it so there's no score attached.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He’s the editor, it’s his job to decide what to put in the magazine.

And I don’t think it is the job of a reviewer to necessarily finish a game before reviewing it. Many games literally can’t be finished, they can still be reviewed. The publisher decided on this stipulation and the editor made a decision based on that.
  • His job is to run a magazine with a very small crew to a tight schedule with a bunch of commitments that didn’t allow him time to finish the game; and due to the embargo stipulating that they had to finish the game before reviewing it, they couldn’t hit the deadline for this issue.
  • And yet everyone else has been up to the task?
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!