Death Stranding - Kojima/Reedus
  • Vela wrote:
    What good are opinions without everyone having the same one? In any case from what Ive read this game could well be very controversial in terms of content.
    What kind of controversy? Because I'm not a fan of the usual creepy Koj flavour.

Im not posting it here because its not a game Im invested in and would rather not risk exposing those who are to it.

But it has nothing to do with the brexit/trump stuf mentioned so far.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Can you stick it in spoiler tags? I’m interested in reading about the game if not playing it.
  • Bob wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    MP? Where? )
    Well considering it doesn't actually launch until today presumably there wont be many people able to leave things behind just yet.. lol.

Ah, that could explain how there is nothing going on at all in the game then.
    I will wait to see the game transform as MP comes online.
  • Or it could just be really dull. Difficult to tell.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I want to know why this game isn't getting the same pilloring as Fallout 76. Apart from it being more polished and having cut-scenes, it seems to have even less game play and content.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It doesn’t appear to be a broken, buggy mess at least.
  • There was plenty of stuff littered about in the stream I watched yesterday but they might be on special streamer/reviewer servers I guess.

My thoughts were that it reminded me of the photos you see of Everest.
    Beautiful vistas then the actual reality of the photos is other people's shit strewn everywhere.
  • So the online aspect is simpy people being able to drop stuff ala Demon's Souls? Other players don't appear in the game world?

Sub Fallout 76 then (with fewer bugs).
  • Well it's not supposed to be an MMO or anything else any more than Demon's Souls was..
    The Forum Herald™
  • The idea of a third person game that doesn't involve shooting/killing appeals to me. As long as it's atmospheric I reckon I could enjoy it.

I remember this TV show when I was a kid where this guy wakes up and everyone has disappeared (no zombies). He gradually finds a handful of people along the way that turn out to have died at some exact moment but are now alive again, which was also the moment when everyone else apparently disappeared. It made a deep impression on me and no, I have no idea what my point is.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I watched about an hour or so of gameplay on this yesterday. Got to admit I did start to wonder if it was some kind of Kojima meta joke. I mean the main criticisms often levelled at open world games are that missions often become fetch quests and that the worlds are under populated with little to interact with. This seems to deliberately aim for those. It seems odd to me that the most interesting thing that can happen out on the field is something the player will more often than not try to avoid. What I will say on a positive is that I really like the Dark Souls+ MP aiding each other side of things, which also plays nicely into the narrative of rebuilding. In a better game that could be quite something.

On Twitch, a pair of dudes done snapped, and are trying to build a motorway between two key waypoints.
    It's quite amusing, even as a spectator.

Especially when you think that eventually, everyone playing the game will see it.
    The game's design will have to anticipated that... otherwise the game will stale out, once people have paved over all the tricky bits.

I'm actually intrigued, and could be tempted to buy this at full price on PC, if this is going, the way I think it's going.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • The idea of a third person game that doesn't involve shooting/killing appeals to me. As long as it's atmospheric I reckon I could enjoy it.

I’m almost the entire opposite opinion...which is why I can’t wait to start this tonight and see what happens.
  • @dynamite.
    It's really intriguing to see people build stuff.
    The stuff don't last forever as timefall (rain) degrades things faster than normal.
    So it will have to be built again sometime soon.
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    So the online aspect is simpy people being able to drop stuff ala Demon's Souls? Other players don't appear in the game world?

Sub Fallout 76 then (with fewer bugs).

Fallout 76 was a buggy broken mess and still is.
    It also has a slew of microtransactions and a $100 season pass.

Death stranding looks great, plays great and has no bugs, no microtransactions and no season pass or other form of monetization.

Also I saw there's a trophy for trading with another porter while syncing mine early ours this morning.
  • I like the broad concept of a semi-online and semi-persistent world. I think that might be a trope for other developers to steal and expand on.

So you don’t see what everybody builds, just what some people build. And it isn’t permanent, it decays. And it’s about building, not destroying.

There’s the kernel of something interesting there, for sure. Being in a quiet world and spotting evidence of life, but not the life itself. Feels like it’s something learned from the horror genre and applied intelligently to a different space.
  • There's some interesting stuff in the Kotaku review about it.

Apparently the was the nucleus of some stuff left behind and the reviewer was able to build on top of that to produce something useful for other people and also found the effort involved to build said thing satisfying.

It's a good read.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Thematically, Kojima has always been great. Yes he can be indulgent and pretentious blah, blah, but he’s no cack-handed David Cage-alike. Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are incredibly nuanced, despite the repeated missteps present in every Kojima game e.g. overly sexualised “Strong Female Characters”.

He’s great. I have no doubt I’ll find Death Stranding to be very, very interesting.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    digi wrote:
    It's really intriguing to see people build stuff. The stuff don't last forever as timefall (rain) degrades things faster than normal.

Lol! Didn't know that!... That's a brilliant idea.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    So is this sponsored by Monster? Keep seeing screenshots of cans and imagining the main character doing a Wayne's World.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    So is this sponsored by Monster? Keep seeing screenshots of cans and imagining the main character doing a Wayne's World.

Seems to be.
    You can drink them to restore stamina at one of many bases.
  • So far it's a cross between FO76 (but with no other players) and Subnautica (but with no pay-off for collecting stuff).

But you can build stuff for others. I'll try and keep watching to see evidence of that.

From what I've seen, I'm struggling to see what you'd build and how that can help anyone. (Maybe a mahoosive magnet that collects all the junk for you, or a plane you can fly to a destination to end the game). There doesn't seem to be an obvious objective to the game.

This is coming from someone who didn't know anything about the game: hadn't read anything, had no expectations either way, has only played one Kojima game - MGS2, and obviously isn't playing the game.
  • The building stuff is mostly bridges, roads/paths, ladders and charging stations for vehicles from what I have seen.
    I think it is a great concept but not sure it has been implemented in a particularly interesting way.
    It really just speeds up the the drudgery of plodding around an otherwise empty map.
  • Might buy a few cans of Monster™ on the way home. It really is a delicious and refreshing taste sensation! You could even say that it brings out the Monster™ in me!
  • Don't forget to watch the programme on AMC that is advertised.
  • trippy wrote:
    Might buy a few cans of Monster™ on the way home. It really is a delicious and refreshing taste sensation! You could even say that it brings out the Monster™ in me!

Yeah, fuck that carry on.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Have you tried Monster™? Once you do I think your tune will change, in fact all your tunes will change thanks to the delicious throat lubrication which only Monster™ can provide.
  • Nothing says post-apocalypse like an overabundant supply of Monster™.
  • We creep another step closer to Idiocracy.
    Water is for toilets.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    So far it's a cross between FO76 (but with no other players) and Subnautica (but with no pay-off for collecting stuff).

You miles off base. It's nothing like either.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's like if you took Ghost Recon Breakpoint and took out all the gunplay, enemies and bases but left in the falling down slopes and shan cutscenes.
  • And added some delicious Monster™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!