Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd love to but I'm addicted to Astroneers.

Um, you aren't playing without me are you?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Played it a bit on the quad and it really reminds me of Mount & Blade: Warband but not really reaching those heights. I like the relative simplicity of the controls but it needs more to think about.
  • Nexx wrote:
    Anyone up for some games on Xbox or PC tonight?

i can play on xbone provided kiddo doesn't wake up
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's bringing back memories of baller moments from M&B:W. Standing fast as a player on a horse charges right at you, arm back for the swing, gonna be instant death with the % bonus to damage from momentum as he's at full gallop. At last my spear thrust is timed perfectly after hours of playing shitlike and it hits him square in the chest and the same momentum bonus works against him. Player model goes flying off the horse. Then I'm shot in the head with a bolt from somewhere vague.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dull. Won first match 3-0, mostly because I got mixed up with the controls and kept hitting guard break and throwing the other guy off a cliff. Got him the same way three times in a row.
  • Escape wrote:
    Nah, I don't like it. It's a combat Noughts and Crosses that relies on its players' intelligence to inject depth, but against the ball-and-chain I can't block for toffee. I'd get better with practice, of course, but the visuals are too bloom-heavy to make that anything less than a frustrating slog. There's a spin before you have to block Right, but the other two are just too hard for my eyes to recognise reliably in time. And I think it falls into the Fight Night series' trap of prioritising feel over function with its controls. Blocking with analogue's hardly an analogue, but I get where they're coming from with a design that mirrors the most basic real-life actions. I'd much prefer to have the shoulder buttons for guardbreak (L1), shield (L2), evade (R1) and attack (R2), using the right stick for aiming all of those instead (initiating swings, 360° or otherwise). As well as providing a ton more nuance to strikes in place of six canned anims, with analogue triggers you could allow variable blocking and striking. Shallow taps for quick blocks that only work against weak strikes (partial defence against heavies), but with faster recovery. Bigger taps for heavy-strike defence could then be plus on block. Yeah, it's a nice idea, but it's puddle-shallow pending the player's willingness to level-up against arbitrary demands. Unless you get on with its glitchily busy graphics, it feels like you're losing to the game as much as the person. And it's not as kinetically satisfying as I expected, rather a Dynasty Warriors 1.5 on that front, owing mostly to Ubi's trademark imponderousness. The cagiest berserkers, robbed of their and their players' essence. Shook Honor.

Shame you don't like it, I agree that button remapping is a disappointing oversight (can be alleviated some what with the Elite controller but hardly ideal). I disagree with your statement about it's depth though, game took me a fair while before the controls totally clicked (in fact I said as much on here) and once they did it opened up wonderfully. That and there being no real character overlap means on release there'll be 12 world warriors who'll have all their own play-styles and abilities to learn. I get the bloom and blood can be overwhelming but once you get your eye in on their direction icon (and indeed their player model, in fact I wonder if there will ever be a hardcore mode with no display and you just go on the actual physics of your opponent) it becomes much easier to read intentions and turn fights. Also you say you were struggling to block attacks as is, but to make the game better you'd make the block mechanic several times more complicated? 

Horses for courses and all that, but I think you might have written this off after a cursory glance, which is a shame because it would have been fun to smack each other about with axes at some point.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • I only just noticed the arrow which tells you which way to block lol i was looking at their weapon before. 

Had some decent duels won quite a lot then came up against somebody untouchable.

I have a feeling skill ceiling is high, i'd probably buy this if i had the time to be good at it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A few duels and a few games of dominion and my verdict is it's shite.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Also you say you were struggling to block attacks as is, but to make the game better you'd make the block mechanic several times more complicated?

Now you're asking me to explain that without boring everyone's tits off... Well, okay. For the TL;DRers: if you enjoy this for what it is then of course that's absolutely fine. I think it all depends on our angles of combat perception as to whether it achieves its potential or not.

Right, so I'll try and draw some comparisons with boxing without sidetracking too much into the dull stuff on that side. I think that these are the two keys points: the first time you box it's scary as fuck, not because you might get hit — you wouldn't try it if you weren't willing to accept that — but because of how alarming your lack of experience suddenly becomes; even if the other lad's no good, it's overwhelming and surprises almost every novice. It's not lawn bowls where you can play a few crap games to get the hang of it. So OG armed combat between noobs is coming down to — all else being equal — who can manage to panic the least. You can argue that For Honor captures this. And that brings me to my other thought: that boxing can be learnt as a skill because its outcomes are very, very rarely fatal.

No-one alive today has experience of armed combat, and those ‘fighting systems’ for unarmed defence against weapons are utter bunk. Weapons are terrifying. I know this because I know that I can't react to the speed of most punches by sight alone, and most of the boxer's defence relies on the size of gloves and ability to absorb a certain amount of blunt-force trauma. If someone feints a hook and half-catches me in the liver, I mightn't be too hurt by that if I get some of my elbow in-between. But were that fist a knife then, in all likelihood, I'd be done for.

This is already spiralling unnecessarily, but to reiterate: boxing's a genuine skill because it can be practised to its highest level with an almost guaranteed survival rate. Put me in armed combat and my only transferables would be strength, fitness, and a tiny bit of technique. But the first two are givens for all soldiers of that era (they'd almost certainly be stronger and fitter than me), and technique counts for nothing if the other guy shits himself less. We've come to imagine such combat with blocking as a routine occurrence from representations on screen, but that's largely only true of one-on-one fights featuring shields and the same, short weapons. Went out with the Romans, basically.

This all relates back to blocking because, yes, I think that it's much too easy once you've mastered it with prompts. It's the gamification of vicious violence that I'm criticising, where the exciting, self-interesting variables of our reactions to panic might be enjoyed without being, y'know, killed. Except not, because those variables are systemised down to QTE prompts. I was playing without the HUD, as I feel it's just another Road Avenger otherwise, but the animations aren't detailed enough to offer a reasonable chance of blocking attacks this way. And yet at the same time, I'm endorsing this?

With the proviso that attacking itself is also much harder; that it's far more nuanced and prone to input errors. Its QTE prompts are propping-up poor animations. With better animations it'd still be hard to block, but for all the right reasons. If I decided to attempt a block I'd be putting myself at huge risk, but likewise, if I attacked and my strike was evaded or blocked, I'd also be exposing myself to that same huge risk.

So I think that it should be the ultimate high-risk, high-reward game, as that's surely its best chance of capturing the raw, frightening sensory-overload of the actual. I don't expect Tekken games to feel like real fighting because they're fantasy versions, but For Honor hits so many of the right visual notes that I find its Tic-Tac-Toe breakdown of brutality into a bitesize paradigm disappointing. I'd remove lock-on entirely; ditch as much Game as possible.

Aye, 'tis a shame that we won't be rehousing axes in each other's heads.
  • Fair enough man, nice comparison work n all. :) I would add that you haven't touched on the feint mechanic at all in your posts, that button alone brings in more mind games and the ability to fake your opponent out with cancel frames means the rote sling left, now right can be totally flipped on it's head. Then you have certain character traits that totally change up how you block and if you even need to. The Conqueror (dude with the flail you mentioned) can hit a block direction and it'll stay locked, also his shield breaks up people trying to do more than one attack as specifically for him he has a soft parry of sorts. The Peacekeeper's block actually deteriorates over time so she can't just hold a direction but needs to restock, she also has an ability to dodge in to the oncoming attack and has a signature parry if it's landed successfully.  I dunno, think there's plenty here for folks to get their teeth in to, I'm having a whale but as Kow so delicately pointed out, it's not for everyone clearly. 

I would say there's a high degree of "That's shit, that's broken" that you can come up against at first but with a bit of time it's all avoidable/parryable/dodgeable. Anyway, for PC folks my uPlay name is Cherry_Pez, if there's enough PS4 heads interested I may well get it for that too.
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I'm not saying that it's a bad experience by most means, but ever since that first trailer I've been hoping for the first game to semi-capture the fear of armed violence. Not 'cause I fetishise it (I hope)! It's because I've been interested in emotional self-limitations in gaming since WipEout HD's Zone Mode schooled me. I was someway up its leaderboard once, but I didn't consider myself great at it. Similarly, the majority of those whom I felt certain were better than me didn't consider themselves elite. The common feeling was that we were all flawed players capable of special runs occasionally. And I think that that was right on the money.

My skills hit a wall after a while, and at that point I was only in the low-80s on Anulpha. But every time I reached a new zone and my excitement caused me to panic away my ship, I'd be angry at myself exclusively — not the game — for not being able to control my emotions. All of us had that in common: an ephemeral obsession with extending our limits of composure under self-created pressure. I was capable of almost reaching 120 in the end, and even then my emotions often let me down before my motor skills did. But a light creep rather than a flood.

All of that's to say that I'd like For Honor to be more psychologically arresting through severity. I'd like to die 100 times in a row because I'd cracked, loving that it had the tools to make me beyond rote feints. Dying feels very oh; combat very learned mechanical. Games that recognisably test our mental limitations are potentially the most rewarding. I didn't like Dark Souls because I felt that one of its main demands was endurance for the repetition of previously proven successes. A Sisyphean shunning of my known capacity.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    But with all that said, I like what you say about the possible interactions between characters. That is what I was after.
  • Escape wrote:
    to reiterate: boxing's a genuine skill because it can be practised to its highest level with an almost guaranteed survival rate.

Good post and good points but.. wooden swords? Pretty sure that all soldiers spent a large amount of their time practising with wooden weapons and if they got hit they lost without dying. It's not exactly the same as boxing because they were doing it because they had too and the fear of death wouldn't be there but getting hit with a wooden sword still fucking hurts. (Source: did Kendo for a bit therefore am expert.) :)

Anyway i like your ideas for the game. They must be considering a hardcore mode.
  • looool. duelling a lvl 15 conqueror he beat me 3-0. rematch. tactic - don't even enter guard mode. run attack. roll. run away. repeat. beat him 3-0 he didn't hit me once.

honestly, i reckon there are a million ways to play this game. Ideally there would be a counter and a re-counter to everything. What will probably happen is one cheapish tactic will emerge that's overly good. then they patch it and change it, repeat.

edit - ok i may have found cheap easy mode. nobody can handle the kensei run strong attack run tactic. even kensei strong attack out of guard seems stupidly good range and auto aim. 

if i'm not in guard mode before i attack does it tell them which way to block?
  • Interesting back and forth between Pez and Scape there (unlike their SF matches eyooo) and although I can see the goodness in For Honor, the beta hasn't done much to warm me to it. There's a lot of stuff that's BS but they've done a poor job of helping you understand a lot of it.

I think the core conceit and the core combat are great, really unlike anything else out there right now, but it's buried under a fucking Ubisoft game. Precious seconds of my life sapping away holding A to skip bullshit I don't need to know. Endless screens of options and texts and stats and little exclamation marks reminding me I haven't scrolled over every single piece of inventory in the last 30 seconds. Icons that don't let you parse an ability quickly and instead make you try and remember the information you were overloaded with in the minute before a match started. Surprisingly in depth tutorial videos that you can't rewind or fast forward, you can only stop or pause? Move list screens that mean absolutely nothing. A stamina gauge that is tiny and insignificant compared to the rest of the HUD mess and overly suffused visual style, which also doesn't alert you to low stamina until you're buggered for breath anyway.

There's so much feature weight on it, and i've barely mentioned half of it there. Rainbow Six: Seige seems to me a good touchpoint. It's high stakes gameplay in small bursts that has a solid mechanical core. Lethality is high in both, you can get torn up in FH in seconds by a good player, and i'm R6 a single headshot that's angled through a obtuse line of sight can end your life in a second, but there's plenty of room for competition with asymmetrical skill sets and positioning being a huge component in the road to success. R6 has the good grace to leave much of its kipple in an ottoman that is perhaps slightly too large for the room, but can be ignored safely for parlour games. For Honour is opening cabinets and drawers and bags and just letting it all pour in and drown you in cruft all the while obscuring your view of what seems to be a pretty thrilling game of charades.

So yeah, a very solid and interesting game, that seems to delight in actively putting me off at every step of the way. Didn't help that the network was atrocious whilst I was playing it. I can only hope it gets looked after as well as R6:S was, because that game is going strong as fuck despite launching in a broken state.
  • Maybe he was passing the pad with a mate ;)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fuck Ubisoft and their club you need to log into. It told me three of the email addresses I tried were already in use for Ubisoft accounts (which is an indication of the bullshit they add to their games) but none of them succeeded in sending me an email to reset the password.
  • I'm in deep, looking forward to trying out the final 3 characters on release.  

Just had what felt like the longest round of Brawl ever due to my slow reactions to a revive:

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You're playing as that guy? Dirty bastard.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Good post and good points but.. wooden swords? Pretty sure that all soldiers spent a large amount of their time practising with wooden weapons and if they got hit they lost without dying.

I imagine that ranged, primarily proddy weapons could be replicated fairly accurately with wood, but not swords. Interactions between bladed steel and somewhat blunt wood are worlds apart, so I think you'd have to practice under rules that say you lose for certain things that don't actually hit you very hard with wood.

Like when your opponent strikes downwards from above his head and you attempt to block it. That might work with wooden swords, but with blades, his sword would twist yours in such a way that your offset actuation point — because both hands are together — would likely be insufficient to prevent being bladed to some degree; you'd have to sidestep to semi-parry it. And the same thing with a huge side swipe, where you'd either have to get out of range in time, or close the distance enough to block as close to his hands as possible to meet his blade at its lowest orbital velocity. Even then, at such close range there's no easy way to hold a sword; blade-up and your hands are so low that you've minimal strength to repel, or blade-down and you've even less strength, but it's potentially better to get semi-cut in the leg than arm. At least if it's not a femoral cut.

(Makes me wonder if a cheesewire short sword would've been any good, with a guardless hilt at its one-handed tip. Holding it by its ends might make it more viable for blocking, if only slightly, and you could use the tip's rear-facing pommel as a bashing tool against light armour. Couldn't find anything from a search, but look at this Darwin-Award-chaser.)

You can train with shields, though, where an approximation of the striking weapon's good enough. When I said about maximising your skills in boxing, that's with fairly large gloves. You can practice it to become really good at it in the same way as you can with kendo, but it's also very different to ungloved fighting. A lot of boxing fans consider the old-timers less talented, but they had to be more selective with their shots because of their tiny gloves. The main criticism of large, 12oz boxing gloves is that they delay concussions through their diffusion of force (larger contact area), leading to a higher incidence of dementia pugilistica in later life. MMA gloves knock you out far sooner, so despite the more horrific sight of blood, superficial damage is far preferable to internal bleeds and the like.

Anyway, the middleweight Ketchel once fought the heavyweight Johnson — it was 1909, so why not?! — and a couple of Ketchel's teeth ended up embedded in one of Johnson's gloves. A lot more teeth were lost in those days, and — because of the ease of breaking your hands on the other guy's skull without stopping him — body shots were often favoured unless you fancied your chances of sparking him. It all looks very ragged and unrefined to modern eyes, but who's to say that they hadn't pretty much mastered near-bare-knuckle boxing? Likewise, whenever I've seen street fights involving anyone with boxing experience, there's been a recurring theme of their reluctance to throw head shots, clinching and throwing to the body instead. Haye's the most famous exception to that against Chisora.

How the sod does any of this relate to For Honor?! Well, the thing that I find most egregious is how happy it is to portray the reality of the business in its intro, where we see a long axe planted in some poor bugger's chest, busting him like a watermelon. Come the game and this reality's nowhere to be seen, and I think that that's an unhealthy continuation of the filmic fabrication against human fragility. I'd be fine with it were it consistent, presenting as a brawl-'em-up all the way. But they've given us a ton of gore-porn money shots re: weapons, without portraying the same consequences in gameplay.

A hardcore mode's definitely the right idea, I reckon.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If we're talking real world issues, I'm miffed that my Warlord can't just step inside the range of spear bitch after a successful shield block/parry and stick her with the pointy end a couple of times to be done with her. But then again I'm benefitting from being able to block a two handed great axe overhead without breaking my arm, so there's that.

In a hardcore mode, what's to stop it descending into a sprinting trade off at the beginning? How did Bushido Blade get round that?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Much smaller arenas, so you ended up cornering yourself. For Honor's stages tend to be wide or circuitous enough to run laps around.
  • Ah the 1v1 areas are pretty damn pokey. Only opens up at the 2v2 and up. Had some Orochi guy frantically trying to claw his way out of the room we found ourselves in after the first two rounds were a totally one sided affair.

Again Scape, I must be viewing this from a totally different angle, you can end some of the more nimble characters with three heavy attacks and then the executions are fully visceral. Or they do the trick for me, the Raider plants his axe head in to their shoulder, they slump to their knees, he casually walks over and snaps their neck. Glorious stuff.

Paul, after a parry you should have enough time for a forward dash and then at least a light or a GB. Off a straight block you'll still be eating the pokes though, her keep away game is fairly ridiculous.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I was playing as the Raider. Some of the areas are just corridors, though, aye. I was thinking about the open ones with more than one doorway per building.

• Good points again, Escape. So you are saying you would like a mode where an Ax to the chest is instant death? That seems reasonable unless you have plate armour on. Fights would be terrifying basically first hit wins.

Does blocking decrease stamina in this? It really should. And your shield/weapon should degrade with it.  What do i know, i don't buy shit all games anyway!
  • Sounds like you want to play Nidhogg...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Nexx wrote:
    I'm in deep, looking forward to trying out the final 3 characters on release.   Just had what felt like the longest round of Brawl ever due to my slow reactions to a revive

I enjoyed how once victory has been snatched there's no emote. Just your character's idle animation casually kicking the dirt like it ain't no thang.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    So you are saying you would like a mode where an Ax to the chest is instant death? That seems reasonable unless you have plate armour on.

Either that or an arcade-style brawler that plays a lot more like a typical fightman. Just one or the other, not a mishmash that pleases neither fanbase (albeit those in the middle of the two are the largest group, so there is that). Foreign-Skerret Skalla covers a lot of its discrepancies here (based on an old trailer):

I love the trailers for each of the characters, and those tell me that Ubi understand what appeals to us about them. But they haven't been able to translate those aspects very effectively, relying on gameplay tropes to fill in blanks that should've been tackled with fresh ideas.
  • I'm loving the discussion, and scapes contribution, even if I think asking for more hardcore/better solutions in a triple A ubi game is beautifully wishful.

Did you not jump some sort of shark for games commentary complaining about the gamification of a game though? ;)

FWIW, I'm of the opinion we all ask for hardcore but never really want it all the time.

I had dirt rally and forza horizon 3 in my goty list. I love dirt rally, but I've put more hours into fh3. Because consequential fail states aren't always what folks are in the mood for.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Did you not jump some sort of shark for games commentary complaining about the gamification of a game though? ;)

Yes; but then again, Elton.

I used gamification as shorthand for its genre-typical gameplay conventions, which I find at odds with its willingness to otherwise use TV and film as thematic inspiration. That it's refreshing in certain areas highlights the conformity and lack of imagination in its controls.

Online 4v4 in this type of game's original and widely appreciated, but it's easy to call bluff on their daring for not incorporating Bushido Blade's potential for one-hit kills as a starting point to frame the rest of their combat around.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!