Olympics Rio 2016: Pass the наркотик
  • Gatlin enters to massive boos! Get it up ye!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Dammit, just about caught it. With blurry eyes. Not wearing my glasses.

WHERE IS THE FUCKING REPLAY IVE GIT MY GLASSES ON NOW
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Fucking Bolt YASS!
  • That sudden burst of extra speed at 50/60 metres... Whoa.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    That's not extra speed, it's everyone else slowing at a greater rate. All sprinters slow over the final third.
  • Ah
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Carl Lewis' top speed was maybe a match for Bolt's (around 28 mph), but Lewis faded earlier. What Bolt loses at the start from his height he makes back in stride length, and he has great speed endurance.

EPO improves endurance, but it's only effective in the short-term (days) and a detection risk, IIRC (it doesn't help anaerobically by itself, so I'm guessing that Chambers took it for harder training). But WADA's testosterone limits invite all sprinters to dope up to their max, so long as you have your bloods monitored. Same with growth hormone - it's natural, so you can dose up without risking detection unless you go ham. Because moderate doping's undetectable, it's all a question of how much, not who.

@Verecocha probably knows a lot more about LR3 and the insulin stuff. SARM stacks, and so on.
  • Dopes that dope, eh?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Either legalise drugs, or erase all records (a soft erase with current records becoming unofficial) in concert with the introduction of effective testing. Carbon isotope ratios are good (caught Gatlin, I believe, who was doubtless on gear that wouldn't have shown on a typical test), but they're accused of being too expensive. Next to the massive amount of money in elite athletics, that sounds like corporate fear of killing their business to me.

And even if CIRs became mandatory (with bio passports for backup), urine's potentially open to masking agents, and then we're back to square one. Bloods; hairs; get creative. Passports are a great idea, but again, they're fallible insofar as testosterone and such can return to normal (with epi) before the effects wear off (post-cycle GH benefits are longish-term, also, as Vere attests). You'd have to test an athlete during a spike, and they're all happy to evade a couple of randoms (like points on a driving licence).

If you pumped a load of money into testing tech, I think you could probably catch up by 2028 or so. Sonographic kit for passports, maybe. But it's always hard to disprove gains, no matter their conspicuity, because we're dealing with outliers. Natural gains are in tandem with drug-assisted ones; in fact, the drugs are more on the healing side for increased training intensity towards self-made improvements.

Thing: after Bolt, you have to go to the tenth-fastest 100m time to find someone - Richard Thompson - who hasn't been caught. Seven have (Bolt appears twice), and Johnson, Chambers and Montgomery have been removed.
  • g.man wrote:
    I wish Mo had a huge afro.
    Let's face it, his adversaries need him on a handicap
  • Escape wrote:
    That's not extra speed, it's everyone else slowing at a greater rate. All sprinters slow over the final third.
    It's a bit of both. Bolt peaks at 50-60m then stays more or less level for 20-30m. Others peak at the same time but then drop off faster. Where Bolt wins is in in the 50-80m zone where takes fewer paces than others and doesn't lose his turbo rockets as quick. A bloke on the telebox said so anyways.

Edit:- Just read your second post, you basically just said all this. Disregard.
  • Particularly its easy to see a slow down happening if you build in posing for a photo during the last twenty metres.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Some medals are easier to win than others. How can some collect them like sweets because of their chosen sport? Fuck me.
    Some people are just that good perhaps?

Some people get a medal every time they get their arse wet. I know it takes huge talent and even more work but the opportunities for medals vary from sport to sport.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'd be a gold medal cert if only there was a Crossbar Challenge event.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm in the "on drugs, so what?" school of thought. We can't guarantee a clean competition. And don't these drugs allow you to recover faster and therefore train more/harder? Saw a recent TV programme about the benefits of drinking cherry juice and recovery times after training. So where is the line drawn?
  • Reminds me of this:

• LADS! I gather Australia's finest is running in the 100m hurdles tomorrow.

LADS!

g.man
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I say.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    There is a visual joke about the women's hurdles that is too crass for me to even try to explain. It is not funny. Unless you are 14.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    LADS! I gather Australia's finest is running in the 100m hurdles tomorrow. LADS! g.man

Wondered what happened to her...

The heavyweight boxing final though...

Kazakstan... It's like they're trying to wipe away the memory of Borat with every punch.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The Russian won?

What a disgusting decision.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Rain absolutely battering down at the women's hockey. Turning into a wet tshirt contest.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LADS!

davyK wrote:
    I'm in the "on drugs, so what?" school of thought. We can't guarantee a clean competition. And don't these drugs allow you to recover faster and therefore train more/harder?

At a higher intensity. Anyone can train twice a day, but your progress won't be as fast if you're not recovering as quickly. Cram kept mentioning purity after Bolt's win, not cleanliness. It's a much fuzzier definition, but since Bolt is an amazing athlete any way you cut it, he's definitely 'pure'.

I was quite saddened by the new 400m record. Not because I ever believed that Johnson was clean (cleaner, possibly), but because of how comfortable Niekerk looked, indicating the imminence of the first sub-43.

If drugs were out in the open, as you say, Davy, I could get behind him - get behind all these new records. But for as long as doping continues to be swept under the carpet (for BBC viewers, by the Fosters and Crams most notably), falling records further highlight the strength of blind-eyeing. It's getting more and more obvious, and no-one dares speak out. That's what spoils it for me.

And it's not just athletics - tennis and most other active sports are flooded. Professional boxing's swimming in juice. Pro sports people are the only expected Luddites towards constantly evolving medical science. I wouldn't touch hormones myself due to their heart risks, but I do think it's a bit silly to embrace new treatments for illnesses while banning the same modern science from sport.
  • Oof, just watched a Chinese pole vaulter have his first go after the rain delay and they didn't cover the bag so it looked like he'd landed in a pool. There's no way you could recover from being soaked like that for something like pole vault.
    Very poor form Rio
  • I haven't seen the whole fight but... really? He got a unanimous decision?!
  • He was on the back foot getting pushed back the whole match, he got the odd shot in but there was no way he had the better of the Kazakh.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!