Halo, is it me you're looking for?
  • It got quite a bit of noise amongst the big battle royale streamers.
    GT: Knight640
  • ODST battle royale is a pretty cool idea, missed opportunity if they don't do something with it
  • They’ve been ripping off other games since they, idiotically, added sprint and reshaped the movement vs combat mechanics for ever. They really should rip off BR. A map filled with the greatest halo maps ever, Halo vehicles, what’s not to like.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If this turns out to be true, it sounds much more appealing to me:

https://wccftech.com/halo-infinite-big-team-battle/
  • Won’t work unless you can effectively be a team of 2/3/4 within a team of 50 odd. You can’t be a meaningful team of more than 4 or so which is why battle royale is the best of both worlds. Massive scale and genuine teamwork.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Doesn’t mention team sizes there.

But it’s not impossible that they’ve come up with a way to make it work with larger teams if that is how it’s going.

We will see, but big team objective is the essence of Halo MP for me.
  • I fucking hate BtB. 4v4 or gtfo.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Scuse me while I GTFO.
  • Yossarian wrote:

But it’s not impossible that they’ve come up with a way to make it work with larger teams if that is how it’s going.

It might be your ‘essence’ but Halo is a medium paced arena shooter at heart. It’s a 4v4 game. It’s core combat mechanics are so good that it scales down and up brilliantly but in CE it was a 2v2 game and ever since it’s been a 4v4 game ‘in essence’. That doesn’t need to be what you most enjoy, again it’s so flexible that it is fantastic as an 8v8 game and it’s BTB has been well looked after
  • Knight wrote:
    They’ve been ripping off other games since they, idiotically, added sprint and reshaped the movement vs combat mechanics for ever. They really should rip off BR. A map filled with the greatest halo maps ever, Halo vehicles, what’s not to like.

I hadn't even considered them doing a CoD and including classic maps within the BR map.  Stitching together Valhalla, Blood Gulch, Prisoner, The Pit, Zanzibar, Lock Out, Avalanche... it would work so well
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

It might be your ‘essence’ but Halo is a medium paced arena shooter at heart. It’s a 4v4 game. It’s core combat mechanics are so good that it scales down and up brilliantly but in CE it was a 2v2 game and ever since it’s been a 4v4 game ‘in essence’. That doesn’t need to be what you most enjoy, again it’s so flexible that it is fantastic as an 8v8 game and it’s BTB has been well looked after

It wasn’t a 2v2 game in CE, that’s just how many people you could get on a single console. There were 8v8 matches in CE available over LAN.
  • Sprint ruined it for me, and bloom. I never got to grips with the special abilities, but I think I’d’ve grown to enjoy them if I could’ve gotten past sprint and bloom.

Load outs and XP unlocking abilities can get the fuck in the bin forever
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

It wasn’t a 2v2 game in CE, that’s just how many people you could get on a single console. There were 8v8 matches in CE available over LAN.

That’s how lots of the maps worked best. We’re talking ‘essence’ here not ‘everything you could do’. Certainly that’s how it was played competitively and the competitive players often have the most finely tuned sense of what works best.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Sprint ruined it for me, and bloom. I never got to grips with the special abilities, but I think I’d’ve grown to enjoy them if I could’ve gotten past sprint and bloom.

Load outs and XP unlocking abilities can get the fuck in the bin forever

Bloom was abysmally bad. It was so depressing witnessing a company not understand their own game and mostly ruin it in the process. Same with sprint. Halo 5 is the logical conclusion of this by the way. A great game in its own right but simply moving round the map requires a CRAZY amount of button presses and I still don’t understand why it was ever necessary. Make your Spartan move quickly and sharply (unlike halo 3 where your Spartan felt like a sluggish tank) and you’d be fine.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    My fondest memories of Halo are from laughing so hard that I can’t even see the screen because of some bit of chaos that’s just unfolded in the middle of a map, more often than not involving a vehicle.

I do respect that competitive players often do bring a lot to the table and their opinions on many things are to be respected, but I really couldn’t give two shits about what they may consider to be the essence of Halo. If it doesn’t involve almost pissing yourself laughing, it’s not going to be the essence of the game for me.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    My fondest memories of Halo are from laughing so hard that I can’t even see the screen because of some bit of chaos that’s just unfolded in the middle of a map, more often than not involving a vehicle.

I do respect that competitive players often do bring a lot to the table and their opinions on many things are to be respected, but I really couldn’t give two shits about what they may consider to be the essence of Halo. If it doesn’t involve almost pissing yourself laughing, it’s not going to be the essence of the game for me.

Which is totally fair enough. Your personal high point enjoyment of Halo can be all sorts of things. The variety that the basic combat mechanics can sustain is awesome. I was just pushing back against the idea that they should focus on big teams rather than battle royale because BTB is the ‘essence’ of Halo.
  • Best memories of halo for me are competitive 4v4.
  • I should add, close seconds are crazy larger games, often with friends.
  • I mostly tolerated BtB any time I had to do it.

Much preferred the small team stuff and swat. I did also messing around in vehicles on some of the mid size levels like that one with the big water wheel and the beach. That was always fun.

The variety halo could sustain was great.
  • BtB is great for old hands. Bit more thinking time.

I know they did Invasion and screwed the pooch a bit (Was still fun and had moments), but BFBC2 in space is the angle I hope they go for with Infinite.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Doubles for me. Absolute scenes.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • 4v4, score sat at 49-49, telling Shyam to hide so we don't lose.  Best Halo memories.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Still hiding.
  • Probably a high flying city lawyer with no time for us. Or anything else.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nexx wrote:
    4v4, score sat at 49-49, telling Shyam to hide so we don't lose.  Best Halo memories.
    Haha.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Where did he hide?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!