MY PATRONUS
  • I never gave Harry Potter a chance after reading the first few pages of the first book. Read like it was written for a 10/year old. Incidentally, my 10-year old nephew loved it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I though it was perfectly fine. Not the best series of books I've ever read, but enjoyable and where there were gaps I either didn't care or my imagination filled the rest in.
  • I read them as they came out. My grandmother got me the first one, because she always looks out for stuff for me in the papers, and when that was recommended one week she got it me. I loved it, loved the second, third, fourth, liked the fifth, was ambivalent on the sixth, and never read the seventh. they just didn't keep up with me as I grew up, but I understand why people love them. My mum likes them a lot, because she says it reminds her of reading the Chronicles of Narnia when she was younger, so I find the idea that there is a specific generation divide interesting, because I've always seen it as one of the big, cross-generation things that people of all ages love - those who joined in via the films, and those who bought the 'Serious adult on the Tube to Work' covers that they started printing at around Book 3.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Daniel Radcliffe always looked like a smelly kid to me. Like he doesn't wear deodorant but really should. His Petanus can be an armpit.
    He smells of porridge I reckon.
    Stale porridge with obese gooch in it.

guiche
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I read them as they came out. My grandmother got me the first one, because she always looks out for stuff for me in the papers, and when that was recommended one week she got it me. I loved it, loved the second, third, fourth, liked the fifth, was ambivalent on the sixth, and never read the seventh. they just didn't keep up with me as I grew up, but I understand why people love them. My mum likes them a lot, because she says it reminds her of reading the Chronicles of Narnia when she was younger, so I find the idea that there is a specific generation divide interesting, because I've always seen it as one of the big, cross-generation things that people of all ages love - those who joined in via the films, and those who bought the 'Serious adult on the Tube to Work' covers that they started printing at around Book 3.

There are a few of those types of people, but I'm not sure that there's a huge number. If at least the first book didn't come out before you hit your late teens, I'd say that the chances are you haven't read them. If they were available when you were a child, then the overwhelming likelihood is that you have.
  • I've watched the first two or three films and heard a chunk of the first book read by Stephen Fry. Didn't like any of it. The book was particularly bad and I thought I could like anything in Fry's voice.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    I read them as they came out. My grandmother got me the first one, because she always looks out for stuff for me in the papers, and when that was recommended one week she got it me. I loved it, loved the second, third, fourth, liked the fifth, was ambivalent on the sixth, and never read the seventh. they just didn't keep up with me as I grew up, but I understand why people love them. My mum likes them a lot, because she says it reminds her of reading the Chronicles of Narnia when she was younger, so I find the idea that there is a specific generation divide interesting, because I've always seen it as one of the big, cross-generation things that people of all ages love - those who joined in via the films, and those who bought the 'Serious adult on the Tube to Work' covers that they started printing at around Book 3.
    There are a few of those types of people, but I'm not sure that there's a huge number. If at least the first book didn't come out before you hit your late teens, I'd say that the chances are you haven't read them. If they were available when you were a child, then the overwhelming likelihood is that you have.

At this point it's just your anecdote against mine, but they were popular enough with adults that Bloomsbury decided to launch the whole series with a cover that appealed more to adults so that probably says something.
  • I've watched 2 or 3 films (don't ask which I have no idea). They just seemed to play out a bit flat to me, very A to B.
    One of them had some attempt at suspense when Potter went under water in some game thing. Everyone thinking he had drowned, but it doesn't really work when it is the title character, you know he is fine, he is Harry Potter.
  • You can label that criticism at pretty much any franchise with a title character though. See Marvel etc
  • Yeah pretty much. Most don't run 7 or 8 films though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Tempy wrote:

At this point it's just your anecdote against mine, but they were popular enough with adults that Bloomsbury decided to launch the whole series with a cover that appealed more to adults so that probably says something.

I know, my ex read them. I know very few other people my age who did, but as I say, not zero.
  • Yeah pretty much. Most don't run 7 or 8 films though.

I'm not sure it's really an issue
  • It is to me Tempy, it ruined Christmas day.
  • Christmas is for idiots and people with proper goodwill families anyway.

I've only ever seen one Harry Potter film in full by choice, but my younger brother who is into sports and well, sports, used to get the DVDs every year and they were always on total repeat in the living room so I've probably seen all of 2, 3 and 4 in some kind of disjointed way.
  • I had to pack up my proper goodwill family and put them back in the loft.
  • I keep mine in a shoebox under my bed, but if I take them out in the Glasgow climate they wither up and I have to feed them crystals of pure joy again and they're getting hard to squeeze out of my solar plexus these days.
  • That shows a growing upwards trend starting with the release of the first film, I'd be interested to see what that's like now.
  • I grew up with the books. I devoured most of them (well, 3-5) on release. The final two didn't appeal so much, though I still enjoyed them all the same. My mum picked up the first one for me when it first came out. Always had an eye for a book, Mama Tiger. The films are fine. Nothing more
    AJ wrote:
    I've watched the first two or three films and heard a chunk of the first book read by Stephen Fry. Didn't like any of it. The book was particularly bad and I thought I could like anything in Fry's voice.
    I imagine it would be the same for most adults with most children's books. I pick up children's books as a professional thing-to-do and I find most hard to finish. Wolf Wilder was great. Gaiman's kids stuff isn't bad (Coraline is brilliant. I'd use that as a text if I taught KS2). Prose is often better than Rowling's but rarely is the world building as interesting. Harry Potter, despite whatever, is magical. Ahahem.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    My wife reads a lot of YA as part of her job, and like most things, there's great examples and bad examples out there. A whack of Mieville's output (eg railsea) is done under YA auspices.
  • Potter should probably be taught because, if nothing else, it's a gateway into lots more folk tales and myths thanks to her utterly shameless cribbing. Would put lit readers in good stead to be able to learn how allusions to old myths in texts can foreshadow and signify things.
  • Im sure we read Lion Witch Wardrobe at school. Equally as good a gateway.
  • YA is vast, eh. Full of quality. Railsea by Mieville is a cracker (didn't like the end, but it's often the same with him). Abercrombie's Half series is YA too and that is pretty heavy with good stuff. I fucking adore Thorn. Brilliantly written character.

The Wolf Wilder petered out a bit at times but has some of the most brilliantly lyrical writing and imagery I've seen in a young 'uns book at times. Rundell has something. Fucking polymaths.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Mr Men.
    Bangers and Mash mayte!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Harry Potter will probably be taught in schools at the point that the generation who grew up with it are writing the curriculum, at which point future students will almost certainly be as antipathetic towards it as we all were towards the books that we had to read in school.
  • Ooh, my little pretty one, my pretty one
    When you gonna give me some time, Patronus
    Ooh, you make my motor run, my motor run
    Got it coming off o' the line, Patronus

Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty mind
    I always get it up, for the touch of the younger kind
    My, my, my, aye-aye, whoa!
    M-m-m-my Patronus
  • First post mate.
  • Read more like you just had a stutter.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!