MY PATRONUS
  • Sometimes I lose confidence
  • I grew up with the books. I devoured most of them (well, 3-5) on release. The final two didn't appeal so much, though I still enjoyed them all the same. My mum picked up the first one for me when it first came out. Always had an eye for a book, Mama Tiger. The films are fine. Nothing more.

I'll always stand by PoA being a great movie - by far the best of the Potters.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I grew up with the books. I devoured most of them (well, 3-5) on release. The final two didn't appeal so much, though I still enjoyed them all the same. My mum picked up the first one for me when it first came out. Always had an eye for a book, Mama Tiger. The films are fine. Nothing more.

I'll always stand by PoA being a great movie - by far the best of the Potters.

Seconded
  • Reg knows.

And when I say great, I don't mean great for a Potter. I mean a straight up top movie.
  • Cuarón's good so I imagine it's alright. Has the advantage also of probably being the best of the books and starring Gary Oldman
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It seems like a Tim Button film from his halcyon days
  • Order of the Phoenix was the best film, trufax. PoA the best book but.
  • I'm pretty sure I watched all the HP films at the cinema. As stories, they're perfectly good enough entertainment, even despite casting a lad who simply cannot act in the title role.

I haven't read the books, so I can't comment on how well written (or not) they are, but I find it hard to get on board with giving Rowling a hard time for borrowing from so many sources because she's not alone, and I don't see the harm in it.
  • I once had an argument with someone who insisted that Rowling was a hack because she'd plagiarised so many other stories - he then went on to compare her to Tolkien who he seemed to think was entirely original...  Whilst she draws on plenty of existing tales, hers is as good a remix as any.  (Though I shall never forgive her for ruining Boggarts.)

As for whether or not she's a good writer in general - I guess it depends on your definition of "good writer".  Her prose is sometimes meandering, not remotely poetic and often self indulgent.  (Particularly towards the end of the run.)  Meanwhile Hermione is pretty clearly a Mary Sue.  On the other hand it's eminently readable, and is utterly loved by a phenomenally large number of people, many of whom have barely read anything else.  Like it or not, she's doing something right.  (And she got a publishing deal, and reasonable success, for her detective novels despite submitting and publishing under a pseudonym.  So she's done it twice, aimed at two different markets.)

What I've found interesting amongst the people I know is that pretty much all kids quite like Potter.  (They've certainly all read them all.)  But it's the Middle Aged Mums in my social circle who really adore it.  I'm not sure why really, but it's interesting that it's a group of readers that broadly reflect Rowling's position when she wrote it, and I wonder whether there's something there that it taps into.

The films are OK, but like the books Azkaban is clearly the best...
  • Of all the offences to my taste the worst was probably the unconcealed aspirational zeal for a very bloodless kind of boarding school, a more total fantasy than any amount of waving magic wands about.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahaha, why oh why didn't I take the chance to go to Sherborne
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My work Christmas party this year is still Harry Potter World. Other people seem more excited than me at this turn of events.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    An ex made me sit through six of the Potter films, three each day across a Saturday/Sunday. Tainted by her mentalness, they'll forever be offensive to me.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Of all the offences to my taste the worst was probably the unconcealed aspirational zeal for a very bloodless kind of boarding school, a more total fantasy than any amount of waving magic wands about.
    Yeah, no pisskop.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Double post madness!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • So no idea what all this is about. Is there something in the air?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    (And she got a publishing deal, and reasonable success, for her detective novels despite submitting and publishing under a pseudonym.  So she's done it twice, aimed at two different markets.)

You know I'm Captain Suss about that sort of thing. I'd expect a mutual agreement to reveal her identity (QED) at some point, simultaneously boosting her credibility and sales (for the pub's protection if they'd floundered).

Yossarian wrote:
    future students will almost certainly be as antipathetic towards it as we all were towards the books that we had to read in school.

I think I only ever read the Asterix books in our library.

The Narnias are pretty awful in many ways, but I've always loved The Voyage of the Dawn Treader as a book title. Something so fraught with danger imagined at its most tranquil.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My daughters really enjoyed the Potter books and films - and I suspect they were of the target age. The elder daughter has a complete set of the hardback editions and she has kept them in very good condition (chip off the old block there). They both still like watching the films in their late teens.

I read the first one to see what the fuss was about and as I suspected that was enough, as was the first Game of Thrones novel by the way but I find fantasy a bit tedious. The only fantasy books I have enjoyed are The Hobbit (LoTR has a good narrative but I found the writing a bore) and Mort by Pratchett - to the point where i may read more of his.

What I have seen of the Potter films (I have seen segments of many of them) causes me to consider them as enjoyable hokum bolstered by some splendid UK actors which can only be a good thing.

And fair play to JK - can't blame her for making a pile.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • You fuckers should have got on The Deptford Mice trilogy by Robin Jarvis, shit me right up they did when I was 14. Like the Animals of Farthing Wood meets Hellraiser it was.

Anyway
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Animals of Farthing Wood

Plagiarists.
  • Might as well post this in here...

I went to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child yesterday.  (The new(ish) play).  My wife and daughters are massive fans (I quite like it, but don't really get the hysteria) so we bought the tickets a year ago - which gives some idea of the demand.  

It's...  OK.  Actually, that's unfair.  If you're a big Potter fan it's, apparently, absolutely amazing.  Particularly if you've managed to avoid reading the script or generally having it spoiled. 

It's certainly consistent with previous Potter stuff, for good and ill.  The whole thing is stretched over 2 plays, and, yes, you could easily have done it in one with judicious editing.  There's an almost painful amount of exposition and referencing of previous adventures - with much of the play operating as fan service.  (If you're going to see it, and haven't read the books/ seen the films in a while, it's worth revising Goblet of Fire if nothing else.)  

Said exposition means that the 45 minutes or so is pretty stilted and awkward, before it finally kicks into gear properly.

That said, when it does - it really does.  Second half of part one is solid theatre from beginning to end, with part 2 never quite hitting the same level, but occasionally getting close.  

The staging itself, barring some slightly bizarre quasi-dance sequences, is stunning.  If you hate Harry Potter but find yourself in the odd position of being given tickets, then go and see Part One at least.  You'll get some of the finest stage magic outside of Vegas, and if you leave it on the cliff-hangar you'll get the Harry Potter finale you dreamed of.

If you love Potter, it's worth the insane wait and painful prices (and/or the lottery for cheaper tickets).  If nothing else seeing people use Polyjuice/transfigure live on stage is damn impressive.  Whilst my children totally freaked out when we got the inevitable appearance from Dementors...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!