Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Imagine if instead of printing messages begging kids to stop stabbing each other, the government actually bothered to put stone money into making the world these kids live in a lot less desperate and shitty and devoid of opportunities to try and make a better life for themselves? This is as stupid as the radio adverts where Kevin used to be in a gang but then he got a job delivering stuff, or went to college, so pls just go knife free kids and make your life better somehow, even though we took most of your access to things that would improve your lives away over the last 10 years.
    @Moot
    It's not just the racist thing, it's the whole dumb 'it's not austerity' preaching angle. 'We can't help it you don't have any outlook on life'.

Yep. According to Chakrabortty, more than 760 youth clubs have shut in the UK since 2012.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/14/britain-social-infrastructure-money-national-grid
  • I'm out my depth as I had to Google austerity :(
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Interesting take.  Perhaps I need to have a word with myself but I still don't quite get the level of hate for the campaign.  Part of the problem seems to be that 'chicken shop' makes many people think 'black people' (and only black people), whereas in my experience they're easily the most multiracial take-away outlets if we're focusing on teenagers (which this campaign is).  Chicken shop = young people, ergo an anti knife crime scheme could do a lot worse than starting off there.

Where we agree (along with Goober), is that something should be done.

But if people want to bring numbers into the discussion, take the same money, and use it to pay for counselling and monitoring for kids who are flitting around with exclusion at school.

Even if it's in just a tiny number of extreme cases

According to experts (of which, I actually do know a few), that would go a long way to challenging the current trend in knife crime.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47485867

Adverts on chicken boxes are stupid, implicitly racist, and will, by comparison, have a negligible effect on the psychology of poverty stricken adolescents dealing with abusive parents and coping with severe learning difficulties.

Indeed, as the Huffington Post article suggests, it could have the opposite 'nudge' effect.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/aug/16/pacific-islands-will-survive-climate-crisis-because-they-can-pick-our-fruit-australias-deputy-pm-says?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

Look guys, racist stereotypes are cool and all, but have you thought about just openly articulating that you find it annoying the entire nations want to survive when you're trying to profit from the resources sector.....
    “I also get a little bit annoyed when we have people in those sorts of countries pointing the finger at Australia and say we should be shutting down all our resources sector so that, you know, they will continue to survive,” he said.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'm not even sure how picking fruit means their islands won't be submerged.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm pretty angry about this, because my mate was not stabbed in a chicken shop.

He was, however stabbed by a group of children, excluded from school, in a dispute over shelter, in his own fucking home.

A stupid message about boxing and rap in a fried chicken box was never going to prevent that.

All but an incredibly tiny fraction of the widely publicised stabbings have a case history less complicated than 'Ws' (my mate's) case. And I see practices like this chicken box initiative as a good reason for society, generally, to question authority more often.

Though I know that's interestingly seen as an unpopular idea here.
  • Where we agree (along with Goober), is that something should be done. But if people want to bring numbers into the discussion, take the same money, and use it to pay for counselling and monitoring for kids who are flitting around with exclusion at school.

We agree on this bit too, Roujin's suggestion sounds immeasurably superior to the boxes-to-stop-kids-putting-kids-in-boxes approach, but that's not on the table.  What's the flipside of the lesser of two evils?  The chicken shop thing seems to be (debatably, clearly) the lesser of two goods.
  • All the money that's been wasted on this shit could have been given to councils to invest in youth services.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's not just that...
    There are so many fucking little things.

With the chicken box thing, apparently, a number of adverts were commissioned by the home office to play in the same chicken shops.

While I think it's also a bad use of money, some youth charities have been producing these kind of adverts for years. Many of them, are excellent pieces of short film making. Often produced by the victims themselves. These organisations have been begging for resources to tour local schools.

This commission for the chicken shop ads went to an LTD.

Tells you all you need to know.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Problem with that sensible idea is they then have to back it up every year. This is a one off to keep the Daily Mail happy that government are doing something to combat knife crime. Box ticked. Next news story.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wow:

So looking at the marketing company that behind this #knifefree campaign together. Wtf "Ethnics"?

Screen grabs below:

https://twitter.com/hyperfrank/status/1161738503769808901?s=20
  • I was wondering where this idea came from. Clearly they didn't consult victim groups, social services and those that run youth projects.

I reckon these pair of cunts pitched this to Gov. Wonder how much they got paid.
  • I can see the logic though
    Unless I'm reading this wrong...

BBM4331762587_07a166e816_z_8490.jpg

This guys chicken game is strong. Therefore, stop the knife crime or you'll be serving hard time.

Or chicken.
    SFV - reddave360
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I was wondering where this idea came from. Clearly they didn't consult victim groups, social services and those that run youth projects. I reckon these pair of cunts pitched this to Gov. Wonder how much they got paid.

Too leftist obviously.
    What better way to reach out to disenfranchised youth than hire a hipster ad company who knows where it's at? These guys 'know' yoof.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Hahaha what cunts.

"Oi bossman, six more wings. Mans chicken game is STRONG."

Truly a quip written by Rupert, aged 39 from a leafy village on one of the commuter lines.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Local government can be very effective. But we are at a cycle where funding is all at the centre.

There has always been a tension. Central government think they know better when they don't.

Local government dont think nationally but then that;s what central gov is for.

Finance local gov properly and they will have a big impact on tackling this sort of thing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • @Roujin
    It's hipster yuppies giving gangbangers career and life advice on how to escape gang violence. Class divide XL as seen through a tory lens.
  • davyK wrote:
    Local government can be very effective. But we are at a cycle where funding is all at the centre. There has always been a tension. Central government think they know better when they don't. Local government dont think nationally but then that;s what central gov is for. Finance local gov properly and they will have a big impact on tackling this sort of thing.

What if we cut local government funding in half, that will surely solve the problem?
  • I'd argue the funding isn't even at central government, it's been cut, it no longer exists.

Austerity has been a great way for the conservatives to shrink the state while being able to blame things like immigration and the global economy as the reason it was required.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Austerity has been a great way for the conservatives to shrink the state while being able to blame Labour as the reason it was required.

FTFY.
  • When these things happen I like looking at Companies House to see who is actually behind it all.

The woman isn't white, she speaks Tamil so would assume her family originate from Sri Lanka or that area.
    The guy is harder to find anything on because he shares his name with the guitarist from Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

There is a third director who bought in for a 26% share in October 2018 and moved the company into his offices for his main company which is considerably more slick but still full of cunts talking marketing bullshit.

https://www.travlrr.co/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Local government can be very effective. But we are at a cycle where funding is all at the centre. There has always been a tension. Central government think they know better when they don't. Local government dont think nationally but then that;s what central gov is for. Finance local gov properly and they will have a big impact on tackling this sort of thing.
    What if we cut local government funding in half, that will surely solve the problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5pESPQpXxE
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Never has there been an opportunity that can target the youth, ethnics and urban city audiences with ease. Never has there been an opportunity to target them at a time when they're traditionally hard to reach.

You’ve got to target those [checks notes] ethnics.

Also, don’t they mean ‘never has there been a better opportunity? I mean, I still disagree with that premise, but are they really saying that, prior to the ubiquitousness of fried chicken shops, there has never been an opportunity to target [checks notes again] ethnics?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    When these things happen I like looking at Companies House to see who is actually behind it all. The woman isn't white, she speaks Tamil so would assume her family originate from Sri Lanka or that area. The guy is harder to find anything on because he shares his name with the guitarist from Manfred Mann's Earth Band. There is a third director who bought in for a 26% share in October 2018 and moved the company into his offices for his main company which is considerably more slick but still full of cunts talking marketing bullshit. https://www.travlrr.co/

Yep. Following the background has been very interesting.
    Hope it now tempers the belief that this was a thoroughly researched, and deeply sensitive initiative.

Because it appears to be quite the opposite.

Wonder if any of the directors are related to key decision makers for the commission. Neopotism is always a factor in this shit. Like that Brexit/Channel freight scandal a year ago.

We'll find out in good time.

And even if that isn't the case, this has all been incredibly stupid, and damages both the perception of the communities involved, and the authorities.

As if the authorities don't already look out of touch on other subjects... Like public sector pay, housing, and, of course, the EU...
  • Andy they (edit: "they" being *checks notes* ethnics) have different colour skin to whitey so how can they (edit: "they" being whitey) reasonably be expected to understand them (edit: "them" being the *checks notes* ethnics)?

Edit: edited for clarity
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The race of the speaker isn't an issue here, as much as the message, frankly.

Wait... @roujin Lolz.
  • Ethnics (ethnix?) sounds so rad...
    Do the kids still say rad?
  • Poochy died on the way back to his home planet.
  • Back when I was into my 3D fighters I thought Last Bronx was one of the best - snappy and brutal but it played a sort of urgent tactical game in 2p.  Plus it was in with a shout for most impressive model 2 Saturn port.  I didn't realise it was huge in Japan, and the page 3 thing passed me by too.  Interesting vid:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!