Racist
  • Kow wrote:
    Sure it sounds off, but that's the problem with these little Twitter clips. I've no idea of there's any more context in there.

That may be true but I did laugh out loud at the punch line. Maybe bald white man is a huge historian on boxing but its the wording on it that is the chefs kiss. Steve Coogan would be delighted to do that as a bit in an episode of Partridge.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The presenter in the studio did seem like he would struggle to be coherent if he wasn't reading a teleprompter.
  • Brooks wrote:
    One of those is literally just two lads playing Mario Kart while having anal sex lol

Double Dash I hope.

Great campaign though. Proud boys is the dumbest shit imaginable.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'd love to see the intersection of proud boys, boogaloo dudes, Qanon, incels, infowars readers and Trump supporters.
  • Spoiler:
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I doubt Infowars has many "readers", to be honest.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It gets about 10m hits each month.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Judging by the comments section they can hardly string two words together so I doubt they read much. They probably do a lot of watching though, watching Jones sell anti covid toothpaste etc.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Obama-repellent bracelets.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Anti 5g USB sticks.
  • Anti-5g USB crystals.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/11/holocaust-slavery-atrocities-memorials-rivals

The real issue here is the West has never truly sat back and reflected on these atrocities; why they happened in the first place. Biggest culprit being of course we only like to reminisce on our great success', not on how we actually got here.

Slavery and colonialism happened because of capitalism, and 'free market enterprise'. The Dutch East Indian Compagnie (VoC) was the first international business that issued stocks on a stock market. The West Indian Compagnie (WiC)  was built on the same template. Think about that for a second and let it sink in. The rest of Europe soon followed and it was every nation and Compagnie for itself. Driven by 'free enterprise' things like slavery were suddenly a viable and cheap business option, with a nod from a complicit state legal as well. It wasn't until the general public got wind of the actual atrocities of slavery that public opinion began to change on the subject and governments were forced to abolish slavery.

WW2 happened due to the Germans losing ww1 and feeling humiliated by the French. But the real trigger was the krach (crash) of 1929. Unregulated Big Business and wall street stock market cowboys caused economies worldwide to come crashing down. Economic inequality grew and the main public outlet was, you guessed it, racism. The right (here: nazi's, fascists) scapegoated outsiders like Jews, gays, gypsies as the problem and the masses gleefully lapped it all up. Sounds familiar no?

After the crash of '29 the US government put up many regulations to keep Big Business under control and to prevent such a crash from ever happening again. Except, Big Business doesn't like to be regulated. They don't like to be on a leash, they want to be 'free'. Free from what they see as the tyranny of government.

And by 2020, almost all the regulation that was in place to prevent an economic crash like in '29 has been reverted. The crash of 2008 happened of course and Trump has gleefully undone most of the Obama administration's work. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.

The West needs to realise that the 'free market' isn't the answer to everything and we need to find that balance between 'free enterprise' and the public good, between left and right. The two often don't allign. If we don't find that balance we might soon find ourselves extinct due to issues like climate change.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • hunk wrote:
    And by 2020, almost all the regulation that was in place to prevent an economic crash like in '29 has been reverted. The crash of 2008 happened of course and Trump has gleefully undone most of the Obama administration's work. The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer.
    And Obama's work opened the door for Trump. He got the economy growing again but most of the growth went to the top. The majority still got poorer, leaving the sense that centrist politics and economics is disconnected from everyday needs - even when it's working. It doesn't solve the upflow of capital that's now embedded in the system. People wanted another answer.
  • Agreed, the whole capitalist system is corrupt with cash flowing upward to tax havens for the rich. It needs a serious rethink but the conservatives won't consider it. Why throw away a good thing eh?

At least the Dems and Obama have a notion of the role a government should have in a democracy. The new wave of Republicans believe that role to be wasted time, effort and money. From their perspective, the free market should rule everything with no state regulation or intervention. The state in service of Big Business, not the other way around. Survival of the fittest aka oligarchy.
  • JonB wrote:
    hunk wrote:
    And Obama's work opened the door for Trump. He got the economy growing again but most of the growth went to the top. The majority still got poorer, leaving the sense that centrist politics and economics is disconnected from everyday needs - even when it's working. It doesn't solve the upflow of capital that's now embedded in the system. People wanted another answer.

Jon. When are you going to listen. Incremental improvements! That’s all we can hope for. If we’re lucky. No one wants to vote for anything different. We’re all either
    A) idiots voting against our interests
    B ) idiots believing the lies of tories
    C) idiots voting for overly radical change in for eg Labour leadership

Remember you need to get power first and for that you have to betray your principles and any kind of solid ground upon which to lay foundations of change because the whole electorate are racist bigoted fuckwits who want to nuke Sweden. Just say things like “we need to fix our relationship with business” and then when in power “fix it” so you and your family and friends are made for life. Er I mean incremental improvements.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    hunk wrote:

Jon. When are you going to listen. Incremental improvements! That’s all we can hope for. If we’re lucky. No one wants to vote for anything different. We’re all either
    A) idiots voting against our interests
    B ) idiots believing the lies of tories
    C) idiots voting for overly radical change in for eg Labour leadership

Remember you need to get power first and for that you have to betray your principles and any kind of solid ground upon which to lay foundations of change because the whole electorate are racist bigoted fuckwits who want to nuke Sweden. Just say things like “we need to fix our relationship with business” and then when in power “fix it” so you and your family and friends are made for life. Er I mean incremental improvements.

I feel this is aimed at me, and it's unfair imo. I would love for proper change. I joined the Labour Party and voted for Corbyn every opportunity I had.

What I said was I would take incremental improvements over bloody revolution, so please don't twist my words and make me out to be a fucking idiot.
  • Sadly, politics is also pragmatism. If a leftist labor government wants to even get elected in and push through significant policy, they still need partial support of big business.
  • I’m not. Sorry please don’t take it that way that’s not how I meant it. The conversation went on to how we’ve been trained to believe that real change is near impossible, this sort of heartbreaking idea that we’re stuck with voters like I describe (not you) so the best we can hope for is someone electable who isn’t as terrible as trump / Johnson / putin etc.

I don’t believe the only alternative (to incremental improvement) is bloody revolution, but it’s certainly a realistic scenario (not anytime soon I think, things gotta get worse first), and I’d like to avoid it like you. Sorry I just liked the idea of “incremental improvements” describing the limit of what we can hope for
  • hunk wrote:
    If a leftist labor government wants to even get elected in and push through significant policy, they still need partial support of big business.

Well no, it needs support of the people who work for big businesses, who cause big businesses enough fucking grief to back down via shop floor tussling. Unfortunately that basically requires large numbers of materially precarious working people to take on pretty significant personal risk to get the ball rolling, which is why it hasn't happened for decades.
  • What I said was I would take incremental improvements over bloody revolution, so please don't twist my words and make me out to be a fucking idiot.
    Nobody was arguing in support of bloody revolution though. It's not like we're currently facing a crossroads where that's one of the options.

The problem for me is that the current Labour approach basically adds up to an incremental drift to the right. It's not a lurch to the right like the Tories, but it'll still slowly follow them along. The future of this can be seen in the Democratic establishment in the US, where candidates have to assure voters/the media that they won't ban fracking or offer a universal healthcare system like some dirty communist. It's accepting the terms set by the right, rather than challenge them.

The alternative isn't revolution, it's being able to set out a different vision and trying to get people on board.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Just watching the BBC news and they do a local piece on the issues around restaurants closing in Manchester due to Covid restrictions.

The presenter decides to end the piece by laughing at the Chinese granddaughters name, Kim-Chi (named after the mother and father) and decided to equate it with a Korean fruit. They don’t pan to the restaurant owner who is probably thinking who is this bitch.

Back to the studio and a few nervous smiles from her colleagues.

I’m probably being over sensitive, but laughing at a foreign sounding name from the BBC news department really is not on. Might as well get Bernard Manning to present a slot on Black History Month.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kimchi isn't even a fruit. He could at least equate her correctly to pickled cabbage.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It was a she, but yep showing her ignorance
  • Ah racism. What was once 'far right' is now...normal? See how shifting the political centre works?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That kind of laughing at names etc was never far right, it was completely normal and inoffensive, something that nobody batted an eyelid at. It's only over the last 20 years or so that it's become unacceptable.
  • BS, it's offensive on tv when the owners are probably going bankrupt and all you can do is laugh at their funny foreign names.
  • Kow wrote:
    That kind of laughing at names etc was never far right, it was completely normal and inoffensive, something that nobody batted an eyelid at. It's only over the last 20 years or so that it's become unacceptable.

It was unacceptable back then, it's just that the majority of people didn't think about how offensive it was. 

It's like when you were 9 and everything was "gay" if you didn't like it. Nobody batted an eyelid, it was offensive as fuck though but because people's sensitivities to the issues that gay people had back then there was fucking zero consideration.

This is exactly the same, just absolute sheer cultural insensitivity towards a minority group.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Kow wrote:

It was unacceptable back then, it's just that the majority of people didn't think about how offensive it was. 

It's like when you were 9 and everything was "gay" if you didn't like it. Nobody batted an eyelid, it was offensive as fuck though but because people's sensitivities to the issues that gay people had back then there was fucking zero consideration.

This is exactly the same, just absolute sheer cultural insensitivity towards a minority group.

That's what I mean. Its offensiveness wasn't generally noticed by people. Which made it "acceptable". I'm not defending it, in case anyone thinks I am. The Irish were the regular butt of those types of jokes on British tv.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!