Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Eat out to help out!

NOT LIKE THAT!
  • RE-ALLOCATE SEGMENTS OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT BUDGET TO FUND THE CREATION OF NEW BODIES TO MORE EFFECTIVELY TACKLE SOCIAL PROBLEMS BY HAVING SPECIFICALLY TRAINED RESPONSE TEAMS AND REDUCE THE WORKLOAD OF OFFICERS TO ALLOW THEM TO FOCUS ON CORE POLICE WORK.

See its easy, stupid bloody Black Lives Matter protesters.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What about the good old fashioned FUCK THE POLICE?
  • Kow, why are you advocating that people fornicate with law enforcement?
  • RE-ALLOCATE SEGMENTS OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT BUDGET TO FUND THE CREATION OF NEW BODIES TO MORE EFFECTIVELY TACKLE SOCIAL PROBLEMS BY HAVING SPECIFICALLY TRAINED RESPONSE TEAMS AND REDUCE THE WORKLOAD OF OFFICERS TO ALLOW THEM TO FOCUS ON CORE POLICE WORK.

Reform the police.
  • Monkey is right, we must dramatically increase the amount of funding the police get, and have them take on more responsibilities, arm them as standard and implement armed forces style training.
  • monkey wrote:
    RE-ALLOCATE SEGMENTS OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT BUDGET TO FUND THE CREATION OF NEW BODIES TO MORE EFFECTIVELY TACKLE SOCIAL PROBLEMS BY HAVING SPECIFICALLY TRAINED RESPONSE TEAMS AND REDUCE THE WORKLOAD OF OFFICERS TO ALLOW THEM TO FOCUS ON CORE POLICE WORK. See its easy, stupid bloody Black Lives Matter protesters.
    Reform the police.

I dunno, Dantes makes a snappy anagram - RASOTPDBTFTCONBTMETSPBHSTRTARTWOOTATTFOCPW.

Rolls off the tongue.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RE-ALLOCATE SEGMENTS OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT BUDGET TO FUND THE CREATION OF NEW BODIES TO MORE EFFECTIVELY TACKLE SOCIAL PROBLEMS BY HAVING SPECIFICALLY TRAINED RESPONSE TEAMS AND REDUCE THE WORKLOAD OF OFFICERS TO ALLOW THEM TO FOCUS ON CORE POLICE WORK.

What is the purpose of a slogan?
  • You obviously have an answer in mind so tell me.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It varies depending on the situation, but surely in this situation it should be to either encourage people to support your cause, or to succinctly express what your position/policy/goals are. I don't think "Defund the police" does any of that.
  • How about a third way. Begin a conversation about what the police should even be for, which it has done.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think that slogan is too easily open to accidental or deliberate misinterpretation, so much so that any discussions is almost always dominated by one side trying to explain what they mean while the other strawmans abolishing the police.
  • Defund the overly militarised police in the US makes perfect sense.

It's a bit more nuances I'd imagine in the UK and similar here in Ireland. Too much is put on the standard police officer in what they have to deal with and have solutions for. Maybe the answer is reallocating of funds but I think its more a case of providing new funds for those other, much needed and yet under appreciated services.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kow, why are you advocating that people fornicate with law enforcement?

Fuck the police. Not like that!
  • I think that slogan is too easily open to accidental or deliberate misinterpretation, so much so that any discussions is almost always dominated by one side trying to explain what they mean while the other strawmans abolishing the police.

I mean, I disagree, but I also think its irrelevant. It's here now and has entered the discourse. So the question is what do you do with it?

This I would argue is the opposite of what to do:

That's nonsense and nobody should be saying anything about defunding the police and I would have no truck with that. I was director of public prosecutions for five years. I’ve worked with police forces across England and Wales bringing thousands of people to court, so my support for the police is very very strong and evidenced in the joint actions I've done with the police. 

There's a broader issue here, the Black Lives Matter movement, or moment if you like internationally is about reflecting something completely different and is about reflecting on what happened dreadfully in America a few weeks ago and showing or acknowledging that as a moment across the world. It’s a shame it’s getting tangled up with these organisational issues, with the organisation Black Lives Matter, but I wouldn’t have any truck with what the organisation is saying about defunding the police or anything else, that’s just nonsense.

What if instead, the highest profile left wing politician in the country instead said this

What I think is that it's an excellent time for us to think about what we want our police to be doing. I was director of public prosecutions for five years. I’ve worked with police forces across England and Wales bringing thousands of people to court, so my support for the police is very very strong and evidenced in the joint actions I've done with the police. 

The Black Lives Matter movement is asking if we are expecting our hardworking police to do too many jobs, and if we would perhaps be better if some of the responsibility we have have thrust upon them was instead given to other bodies, particuarly when it comes to mental health callouts which frankly they are not and could not be properly trained for, and yet we expect them to carry out as if they were. Now this government has since 2010 shamefully cut the budget of the police by 20% in real terms, yet they are having to do exactly the same work. Imagine if that 20% of funding was instead invested in social services for mental health, domestic violence and homelessness, among others. How many hours would we free up for police to concentrate on the essential tasks involved in protecting the public?
  • STARMER: I WILL DEFUND THE POLICE
    Labour leader in shock move to SLASH police numbers and give money to homeless bums.
  • He loses the next election?
  • Maybe Starmer doesn't want to cut police funding. Maybe that 20% of funding can just be found elsewhere and spent anyway and you can have a police force of the size that most people seem to want. Maybe a dodgy, provocative, ill-considered slogan dreamt up in a different country in different circumstances isn't something a prospective British PM wants to attach himself or his party to. Maybe we should have our own slogans and our own policies for our own circumstances. Maybe Labour MPs should be honouring the commitments they made in the manifesto they stood on nine months ago.
  • You could get to that just as easily if he said "Refund what? Sorry, there's a homeless guy here busking, I can't really hear you". By that logic, Labour should never say anything unless they can picture a Tory MP saying it.

The left needs to ignore the right media, because they will never be given a fair run by them, unless they specifically run on policies to enrich the media barons.
  • Kow wrote:
    Kow, why are you advocating that people fornicate with law enforcement?
    Fuck the police. Not like that!
    *chortle*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Intentional misunderstanding by political opponents is only one aspect of it. I’m not convinced the policy behind the slogan is all that good anyway. You’re taking money out of the day to day operational spend of the police and putting it into medium to long-term fixes. The budget has already been cut by a quarter (edit: I double checked this - it’s actually 16%) over the past decade. Now you’re taking more out and hoping that money won’t be missed. But the areas you’ve redirected it to won’t start kicking in for years. You need additional funding for that and then, all being well, then you can start cutting the police budget to reflect that it’s needed less than it was.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It makes sense in the US, not so much in the UK.
  • I am on board with the argument that demilitarising the US police is probably needed up front as a first step.
  • Hobbes has so much angular velocity he'll bore through the centre of the Earth, killing us all.
  • I mean, I disagree, but I also think its irrelevant. It's here now and has entered the discourse. So the question is what do you do with it?
    When the centrists said they wanted a more grown up politics, they didn't mean a politics where we actually think about and discuss what's needed for the future of the country (not like that!), they meant politicians who play the media game and triangulate.
  • “Centrist scum can’t stop talking about my cock and balls. It’s time they grew up and focused on the real issues” says man who turns up to meeting with cock and balls hanging out.
  • Jon put your balls away no-one wants to talk about them, apparently
  • Well... I mean if they are on the table, I think we really should discuss them now that they are there.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!