On the Vagaries of Liking Things
  • Someone once loaned me a Beach Boys DVD.  I don't know why.  I put it in the pile for the charity shop, unwatched.
  • Reading through the magnificent OP and I'm up to this bit:
    Let's unpack some things about Bioshock Infinite and see if it holds up to scrutiny. Claim: The game revels in racist ideas and signifiers and does not expand on them in any meaningful way. Ken Levine admitted that the game is not wholly occupied with Racism as its central theme. It is occupied with the story of Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth. It is not offering any resolution or deep insight into racism. It is instead offering it as a detail in a personal human story.

That's a fine point. A game (or any story) could be set in the most vile, racist, mysoginist, nationalistic, genocidal society imaginable and by not tackling those issues it does not condone them. Otherwise do we have to chastise Doom for not tackling the concept of divine evil?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Someone once loaned me a Beach Boys DVD.  I don't know why.  I put it in the pile for the charity shop, unwatched.

I'm not sure indifference to the Beach Boys is knuckle sandwich-worthy, but a stern telling off is probably in order.

Get schwifty.
  • "What is a Beach Boy?"

480180a9666e0dcb21395fed5e6d425e.jpg
  • Wine. Absolutely fucking love it.
  • djchump wrote:
    "What is a Beach Boy?"   480180a9666e0dcb21395fed5e6d425e.jpg

I would not eat a Beach Boy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I love any game that has a well thought out local multiplayer mode.

Single player is OK but only until the opportunity for >1 player comes along.  Even single player modes when you have >1 person taking turns.

Yes - life gets in the way. Logistics make it difficult, but I still love it far more than single player and online is a poor substitute (and still requires a level of logistics). I think it's a massive shame that too many games don't address this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really like revelling in the sheen/murk of a David fincher movie. Doesn't really matter the movie. Alien 3 is alright, don't @ me with directors cut chat
  • The CG in Alien 3 is utter shite.

Plus you've championed the Director's Cut in the past. 

INCONSISTENTREG
  • I find it amusing that the PC, long solely the domain of the solo/online gamer, is now the best platform for local multiplayer.

That was in response to Davy, as you can probably guess.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    The CG in Alien 3 is utter shite.

Plus you've championed the Director's Cut in the past. 

INCONSISTENTREG

I am aware of this I just didn't need anyone to give me my own patter back
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    LIKE YOU
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I like unlikely
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I adore Blade Runner by the way and am horrified at the idea of a messed up sequel.

The BBC productions of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People. I like these a bit too much.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    I LIKE U2
    No need to be ashamed of this, you like what you like.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I find it amusing that the PC, long solely the domain of the solo/online gamer, is now the best platform for local multiplayer. That was in response to Davy, as you can probably guess.

Hmmm. Have started to notice this. A console-ised PC would probably give me more fun than most consoles.
  • There's plenty of those about these days. Plus, most local multiplayer is pretty undemanding, so won't need a beast of a machine. We probably played more Speedrunners and Mount Your Friends then anything else at my last place and they'd probably be happy on integrated graphics.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Let me open with this: nothing I have ever loved is above criticism. I know you know this but it is still important that YOU know I KNOW THIS. I am not looking for any pitiful thing when I proclaim: I LOVE THIS. Perhaps you can say I am doing this or that (let me say this about that) for some affirmation from the Universe. Or from friends or revered creative people. But really I am just saying I love this because I really love this. I love Bioshock Infinite. You know this. I love Blood On The Tracks by Bob Dylan. You know this. I love Blade Runner. You know this.

So let me continue on with some things you didn't know: When I started writing I was a member of the now disbanded Smile Shop. Jon Hunt and John Lane ran it. I learned everything I now use daily from these two men and a select group of writers, thinkers and philosophers. They taught me to say what I say better and to say what I didn't think of saying, full stop. The biggest influence on my writing style and in many, many ways my approach to art, was a man named Ian Wagner.

Ian Wagner was and I am told still is a rather special human being who loves art from every sense available to him. He once punched a guy for dissing The Beach Boys. Overreaction? No. He dealt out swift and vital punishment for a lack of intellectual faculties. Ian was the guy who taught me that criticisms of creative work always need passion. If you are prepared to shit on someone's most loved thing, you best get your words in order.

This brings me to my next thing. When I love things, I stick by them. I say “hey! I love this thing and you should too!” Bioshock Infinite to me, and sometimes I think to me alone, is a perfect game. There is nothing I would change or trim or otherwise mess with. I know this is not an opinion widely accepted. People were falling on top of each other to proclaim that the game was a sham. Whether this is the odious assertion that it is a “Nazi Disneyland” or that its violence is gratutitous, I have one place for these criticisms: that part of my brain where I don't want to think about bad things.

Let's unpack some things about Bioshock Infinite and see if it holds up to scrutiny. Claim: The game revels in racist ideas and signifiers and does not expand on them in any meaningful way. Ken Levine admitted that the game is not wholly occupied with Racism as its central theme. It is occupied with the story of Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth. It is not offering any resolution or deep insight into racism. It is instead offering it as a detail in a personal human story. Booker DeWitt is a bad man. “Only blood can repay blood.” The game is offering up, as the original did, that when ideologies override basic human compassion things get bad. Self-hate is a big part of why Bioshock as a series is so compelling. They ask the individual to look hard at themselves and question why it is that these elements are so pernicious. So maybe it didn't get to resolve Racism as a thing, but it made the player question their own myths. In its conclusion it offers up its most powerful assertion: that being sad about doing evil is no excuse, and more importantly no solution for evil.

Secondly, is the violence gratutitous? I say no. It is a necessary result in depicting the complicity in evil that makes murder of the innocent possible. Unlike The Last of Us, Infinite did not sway the darlings of the industry to take up arms against all comers. The Last of Us was “brave,” Infinite was exploitative. I want to be soaked in excess. I adore gore. I think the aesthetic value of violence is no better expressed than it is with Bioshock Infinite. Put that spinny thing in brains and make a picture! How about that combat? Is it lacking? I say not. At its best – and its best is frequently seen through the playing time – it is visceral, poetic and full of chaos.

Back to Ian Wagner. He taught me that to love something is to stand up for it. Even when he was wrong – and he was wrong not infrequently – he gave eloquent defenses to terrible things. He made you change your mind about those few certain things in your head. He made you proud to think free and unfettered by prejudice. He never, ever made someone feel less because they loved something he didn't. Instead he made them feel like the Last Angry Man. Come at me and do it right. So let me close by saying that my banging on about Infinite or Bob or Ridley is not out of some insecurity but is instead my trying to live up to the high water mark of creativity that these works have instilled in me. I owe them as much as I do to my parents, friends and family. To fail to argue in their corner would make me guilty of a great moral and artistic crime. So I fight as much as I can. Not only for the creators of these things but for those shy people too afraid of the Status Quo and sometimes literally the ACTUAL BAND STATUS QUO. If I ever find a woman who'll have me, I'll fight just as hard for her.

Let me leave you with this: NEVER be ashamed of what you love. Love what you love and everything else can get fucked. If you meet a man or a woman or a transgender individual who tries to make you feel shit for loving something? Ditch them. They're not worth a damn. Love The Eagles. Love Neil Diamond. Love John Denver. Love fucking Morrissey with all his preening gumption. Do it honestly and without shame. That's it.

Please tell stories about things you love that make you sad that more people don't share your love!

You need to love commas a little more.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Let me open with this: nothing I have ever loved is above criticism. I know you know this but it is still important that YOU know I KNOW THIS. I am not looking for any pitiful thing when I proclaim: I LOVE THIS. Perhaps you can say I am doing this or that (let me say this about that) for some affirmation from the Universe. Or from friends or revered creative people. But really I am just saying I love this because I really love this. I love Bioshock Infinite. You know this. I love Blood On The Tracks by Bob Dylan. You know this. I love Blade Runner. You know this.

So let me continue on with some things you didn't know: When I started writing I was a member of the now disbanded Smile Shop. Jon Hunt and John Lane ran it. I learned everything I now use daily from these two men and a select group of writers, thinkers and philosophers. They taught me to say what I say better and to say what I didn't think of saying, full stop. The biggest influence on my writing style and in many, many ways my approach to art, was a man named Ian Wagner.

Ian Wagner was and I am told still is a rather special human being who loves art from every sense available to him. He once punched a guy for dissing The Beach Boys. Overreaction? No. He dealt out swift and vital punishment for a lack of intellectual faculties. Ian was the guy who taught me that criticisms of creative work always need passion. If you are prepared to shit on someone's most loved thing, you best get your words in order.

This brings me to my next thing. When I love things, I stick by them. I say “hey! I love this thing and you should too!” Bioshock Infinite to me, and sometimes I think to me alone, is a perfect game. There is nothing I would change or trim or otherwise mess with. I know this is not an opinion widely accepted. People were falling on top of each other to proclaim that the game was a sham. Whether this is the odious assertion that it is a “Nazi Disneyland” or that its violence is gratutitous, I have one place for these criticisms: that part of my brain where I don't want to think about bad things.

Let's unpack some things about Bioshock Infinite and see if it holds up to scrutiny. Claim: The game revels in racist ideas and signifiers and does not expand on them in any meaningful way. Ken Levine admitted that the game is not wholly occupied with Racism as its central theme. It is occupied with the story of Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth. It is not offering any resolution or deep insight into racism. It is instead offering it as a detail in a personal human story. Booker DeWitt is a bad man. “Only blood can repay blood.” The game is offering up, as the original did, that when ideologies override basic human compassion things get bad. Self-hate is a big part of why Bioshock as a series is so compelling. They ask the individual to look hard at themselves and question why it is that these elements are so pernicious. So maybe it didn't get to resolve Racism as a thing, but it made the player question their own myths. In its conclusion it offers up its most powerful assertion: that being sad about doing evil is no excuse, and more importantly no solution for evil.

Secondly, is the violence gratutitous? I say no. It is a necessary result in depicting the complicity in evil that makes murder of the innocent possible. Unlike The Last of Us, Infinite did not sway the darlings of the industry to take up arms against all comers. The Last of Us was “brave,” Infinite was exploitative. I want to be soaked in excess. I adore gore. I think the aesthetic value of violence is no better expressed than it is with Bioshock Infinite. Put that spinny thing in brains and make a picture! How about that combat? Is it lacking? I say not. At its best – and its best is frequently seen through the playing time – it is visceral, poetic and full of chaos.

Back to Ian Wagner. He taught me that to love something is to stand up for it. Even when he was wrong – and he was wrong not infrequently – he gave eloquent defenses to terrible things. He made you change your mind about those few certain things in your head. He made you proud to think free and unfettered by prejudice. He never, ever made someone feel less because they loved something he didn't. Instead he made them feel like the Last Angry Man. Come at me and do it right. So let me close by saying that my banging on about Infinite or Bob or Ridley is not out of some insecurity but is instead my trying to live up to the high water mark of creativity that these works have instilled in me. I owe them as much as I do to my parents, friends and family. To fail to argue in their corner would make me guilty of a great moral and artistic crime. So I fight as much as I can. Not only for the creators of these things but for those shy people too afraid of the Status Quo and sometimes literally the ACTUAL BAND STATUS QUO. If I ever find a woman who'll have me, I'll fight just as hard for her.

Let me leave you with this: NEVER be ashamed of what you love. Love what you love and everything else can get fucked. If you meet a man or a woman or a transgender individual who tries to make you feel shit for loving something? Ditch them. They're not worth a damn. Love The Eagles. Love Neil Diamond. Love John Denver. Love fucking Morrissey with all his preening gumption. Do it honestly and without shame. That's it.

Please tell stories about things you love that make you sad that more people don't share your love!

Quoted for extra length.

• Lord_Griff wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:

Did you really have to quote the entire thing?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    There's plenty of those about these days. Plus, most local multiplayer is pretty undemanding, so won't need a beast of a machine. We probably played more Speedrunners and Mount Your Friends then anything else at my last place and they'd probably be happy on integrated graphics.

And MAME-ing would also serve up some old school arcadey larks.

I used to play A LOT of MAME. Dicking about with ROM sets and new OS has put me off a bit.
  • Kow wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:

Quoted for extra length.

Shit, just a bit too slow.
  • davyK wrote:
    AJ wrote:
    There's plenty of those about these days. Plus, most local multiplayer is pretty undemanding, so won't need a beast of a machine. We probably played more Speedrunners and Mount Your Friends then anything else at my last place and they'd probably be happy on integrated graphics.

And MAME-ing would also serve up some old school arcadey larks.

I used to play A LOT of MAME. Dicking about with ROM sets and new OS has put me off a bit.

Fuck knows what ROM sets even are, but I've given up dicking about with drivers and the OS. So far, everything's running fine without any input from me beyond installing drivers after the Win10 update. Laptop must be getting on for a couple of years old now.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    In general I think I am too apathetic to get into arguments about stuff that I love that others don't. I can try to get people to understand my love of Firefly and why I think it's a brilliant show, but on the flip side I'll never get why people love stuff like Coronation Street or Eastenders, which, while I have watched on several occasions I've never understood the amount of time that the shows get talked about, analysed and generally loved by millions of people.

Though I would punch someone in the face for saying Babylon 5 is shit.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I adore Blade Runner by the way and am horrified at the idea of a messed up sequel.

Favourite film of all time. Wanted but never thought I'd see a sequel. I think it's in good hands; Denis Villeneuve is a very exciting director.
    Get schwifty.
  • I mean, what the fuck
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I'll never get why people love stuff like Coronation Street or Eastenders,

Not true. It's because of basic psychological factors that you could easily understand. In essence, repeat viewing tricks the subconscious into thinking the characters are friends.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:

Quoted for extra length.

Shit, just a bit too slow.
    We're doing this now are we.

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!