On the Vagaries of Liking Things
  • I think Zootropolis may be the greatest animated film.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I love Spirited Away. That is the greatest animated film.
    Get schwifty.
  • I still need to see Zootropolis.
    Controversial but Gibley has never really done anything for me.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Is that Gwayne Gibley?
  • Can't even spell it that how cold it leaves me!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I also saw The Little Prince recently. That's a really lovely film and far better than anything Pixar have put out recently.
    Get schwifty.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    My favourite version of Visions of Johanna is on the "Albert Hall" concert. Magical stuff. My top 5 would probably be: 1. Blood on the Tracks 2. Blonde on Blonde 3. Infidels 4. John Wesley Harding 5. Love & Theft.

That's a great version, but the Blonde on Blonde take hits everything for me. 

Lights flicker from the opposite loft
    In this room the heat pipes just cough
    The country music station plays soft
    But there's nothing really nothing to turn off
    (*lovelybass*)
    Shocked to see Infidels so high, but I vaguely remember you saying you wouldn't be able to find space for Blind Willie McTell on it - madness to me, so you must love the album as is to bits.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    My favourite version of Visions of Johanna is on the "Albert Hall" concert. Magical stuff. My top 5 would probably be: 1. Blood on the Tracks 2. Blonde on Blonde 3. Infidels 4. John Wesley Harding 5. Love & Theft.

That's a great version, but the Blonde on Blonde take hits everything for me. 

Lights flicker from the opposite loft
    In this room the heat pipes just cough
    The country music station plays soft
    But there's nothing really nothing to turn off
    (*lovelybass*)

Shocked to see Infidels so high, but I vaguely remember you saying you wouldn't be able to find space for Blind Willie McTell on it - madness to me, so you must love the album as is to bits.
  • Ah.  Quoting myself and editing instead of editing again.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I still need to see Zootropolis.

Grave of the Fireflies is worth it. The rest, not so much.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I still need to see Zootropolis.

Grave of the Fireflies is worth it. The rest, not so much.

Princess Mononoke, it's a belter.
  • I love watching my boys play football at the weekend. I look forward to it more than anything else and it gets me through my working week. If their games are called off I get that disappointment you get when you open a boxed present expecting a PS4 and actually receive a slow cooker. Cheers wifey.

I don't care if they win. I just love watching their improvements each week. The mistakes are outweighed by the successful Cruyf turn, the fingertip save, the occasional goal, the match winning penalty save. I love the fact neither of them give their teammates grief when they screw up. Football is to be enjoyed, not endured.

The little one is a cracking keeper and we've already been asked to get him joined up to an academy. But we just want him to play with his mates. He's happy to get muddy, make a few saves and be with his buddies. The old one is a playmaker and is as happy making clever passes as he is scoring goals.

3 evenings a week they train. They play Saturday and Sunday. They love it.

I'm sure there'll come a time when they get bored, try other pursuits or tell me that they don't want me there any more. But for now I'll lap it up.
  • :)

One of the things I'm most excited about. Unless Cub isn't very good. At which point I'll disown him.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    XOMuggins wrote:
    That's a great version, but the Blonde on Blonde take hits everything for me.  Lights flicker from the opposite loft In this room the heat pipes just cough The country music station plays soft But there's nothing really nothing to turn off (*lovelybass*) Shocked to see Infidels so high, but I vaguely remember you saying you wouldn't be able to find space for Blind Willie McTell on it - madness to me, so you must love the album as is to bits.
    I do. I think Sweetheart Like You, Jokerman and Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight are all brilliant tracks. I like Blind Willie McTell but I don't think it fits on the album. I would however include Foot of Pride in the list.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I think Zootropolis may be the greatest animated film.

It was well above expectations, and supports some pretty scary readings.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    XOMuggins wrote:
    Thanks for all the stories friends. Here is a little post about something else I love, even though I already mentioned it. Blood on the Tracks was given to me by my father. It was his very favourite Bob Dylan album, even though Blonde on Blonde was very close in rank. He felt - as I feel - that Bob was at his best not when he was hyped up on amphetamines and booze. What makes Blood on the Tracks so very special is that it details a period in his life which was particularly difficult. That is, the separation between him and his wife. The album as released is a masterpiece. It is lyrically as interesting as anything he has done and as musically satisfying as the Wall of Sound Blonde on Blonde recordings. It is the personal nature of the songs that make them so moving. Listening to the original cut of the album is revealing as all hell. Anyone who has even a modicum of interest in Bob Dylan should seek out these unreleased recordings immediately. They show a development of hopelessness and bitter anger. Take the song Idiot Wind for example. On the released album it is a big blustering fuck you, full of rage and finger pointing. On the New York version it is still sad yes, but mostly it is mournful for a life that had escaped him through his own fault. There are similar changes to Tangled Up In Blue, You're a Big Girl Now and If You See Her, Say Hello. Perhaps the greatest cut on the original LP is however Lily, Rosemary and the Jack of Hearts. As released the song is just a caper and holds no great meaning. In its original form it is slow, steady and insightful. The problems of good and bad luck and missed opportunities is what Blood on the Tracks is really all about. Anyone who wants to hear the original album, do a google and find that sucker. It's easy to locate.

I love paragraphs.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I completely adore the Manic Street Preachers. I'm aware they're overly politicised, I'm aware at times they can come off as snide or patronising, I'm aware sometimes they've veered into mildly shit territory (hello Lifeblood.) For me, they have one of the all time great frontmen, and I'd argue one of the greatest living guitarists in James Dean Bradford - that Wire is kind of perfunctory in bass and Moore a capable drummer only serves to amplify his talents, basically shit like No Surface All Feeling or Autumnsong is being led by JDB.
    There's the usual 'I liked em up until Richey disappeared/THB' snobbery about them - in fact, one of my very good friends, who came to see them do THB at the Barrowlands with tempy refused to listen to anything post TIMTTMY until I told him I was driving front edinburgh to Glasgow and it was my choice of what went on in the car. I made specially curated mixes of old stuff and things from more recent albums that I knew he'd like, and threw a few oddballs in there too. Sure enough, he's now fully into more recent outputs, especially JFPL and Tigers.

I've spent more time than I would care to admit on a Manics forum (yes, this is not my only love) and have read a bunch of biographies about them. When I lived in the states I dissected the lyrics of Kevin Carter in my AP English class who had never heard of them. My yearbook quote (class of 2002 woooo) was 'I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing'. Eternally wanky, I know, but they're a band intrinsically tied up in my own maturing.

I essentially learned the guitar so I could do the ADFL lines. Turns out playing Roses in the Hospital is much more fun. I got into them aged 11 in 1996 when my older sister bought EMG on cassette and took it on holiday in France. I had got bored of my Parklife cassette and swapped her so popped that in my Walkman. I didn't quite get removables or small black flowers at the time, but the rest was storming. We went to Sydney in 1999 and I grabbed TIMTTMY, complete with manics sticker (proudly stuck on the bumper of my first car.) then I discovered they'd had 3 albums beforehand and they were... different. It was GATS that I got into first, then GT, and finally THB. By 2000 I was utterly hooked and obsessed. First time I got to see them was when I returned to the UK in 2002 and they were doing the Forever Delayed tour. Queued for 6 hours to get front row, something I've never done since.

I've met them a couple of times, fleetingly, at signing events. Have a Lipstick Traces signed by Sean Moore made out to 'Love Rocket' which was a whole thing.

I'm constantly fascinated with what they do next, as they seem to have peaks and troughs of creative output - 4 years between lifeblood and SATT, but Rewind the Film and Futurology released almost back to back. I've probably listened to more B Sides and alt versions than any other band (you want a guy to play and sing Patrick Bateman at your wedding? Right here.) and I constantly sit and reran albums and songs that I love.

At the minute I'm of the impression that Send Away the Tigers is their best and tightest album, but tomorrow it'll probably be Everything Must Go again.

Anyway, unashamedly love them, lipgloss, boas, leopard skin, 4 REAL, Welsh Football Team Antheming nutters that they are.
  • I definitely like leopard skin.
  • All of that but for Radiohead cos I am boring
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I just watched Triangle. I love that film.
    Get schwifty.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Street Fighter (Van Damme) is good and is currently the best video game film.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I completely adore the Manic Street Preachers. I'm aware they're overly politicised, I'm aware at times they can come off as snide or patronising, I'm aware sometimes they've veered into mildly shit territory (hello Lifeblood.) For me, they have one of the all time great frontmen, and I'd argue one of the greatest living guitarists in James Dean Bradford - that Wire is kind of perfunctory in bass and Moore a capable drummer only serves to amplify his talents, basically shit like No Surface All Feeling or Autumnsong is being led by JDB. There's the usual 'I liked em up until Richey disappeared/THB' snobbery about them - in fact, one of my very good friends, who came to see them do THB at the Barrowlands with tempy refused to listen to anything post TIMTTMY until I told him I was driving front edinburgh to Glasgow and it was my choice of what went on in the car. I made specially curated mixes of old stuff and things from more recent albums that I knew he'd like, and threw a few oddballs in there too. Sure enough, he's now fully into more recent outputs, especially JFPL and Tigers. I've spent more time than I would care to admit on a Manics forum (yes, this is not my only love) and have read a bunch of biographies about them. When I lived in the states I dissected the lyrics of Kevin Carter in my AP English class who had never heard of them. My yearbook quote (class of 2002 woooo) was 'I know I believe in nothing but it is my nothing'. Eternally wanky, I know, but they're a band intrinsically tied up in my own maturing. I essentially learned the guitar so I could do the ADFL lines. Turns out playing Roses in the Hospital is much more fun. I got into them aged 11 in 1996 when my older sister bought EMG on cassette and took it on holiday in France. I had got bored of my Parklife cassette and swapped her so popped that in my Walkman. I didn't quite get removables or small black flowers at the time, but the rest was storming. We went to Sydney in 1999 and I grabbed TIMTTMY, complete with manics sticker (proudly stuck on the bumper of my first car.) then I discovered they'd had 3 albums beforehand and they were... different. It was GATS that I got into first, then GT, and finally THB. By 2000 I was utterly hooked and obsessed. First time I got to see them was when I returned to the UK in 2002 and they were doing the Forever Delayed tour. Queued for 6 hours to get front row, something I've never done since. I've met them a couple of times, fleetingly, at signing events. Have a Lipstick Traces signed by Sean Moore made out to 'Love Rocket' which was a whole thing. I'm constantly fascinated with what they do next, as they seem to have peaks and troughs of creative output - 4 years between lifeblood and SATT, but Rewind the Film and Futurology released almost back to back. I've probably listened to more B Sides and alt versions than any other band (you want a guy to play and sing Patrick Bateman at your wedding? Right here.) and I constantly sit and reran albums and songs that I love. At the minute I'm of the impression that Send Away the Tigers is their best and tightest album, but tomorrow it'll probably be Everything Must Go again. Anyway, unashamedly love them, lipgloss, boas, leopard skin, 4 REAL, Welsh Football Team Antheming nutters that they are.
    Good post. Exactly what I wanted to draw out.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • regmcfly wrote:
    . I'm aware they're overly politicised,

I'd argue this isn't a weakness. While the risk is always there that bands/musos will be fucking cretins about politics/issues, artists with some clues being active and opinionated and articulating a political angle is something I can get down with.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Depends really, while I think music should help give people a voice, I'm as bad as the next for worrying about what that voice is. Fuck Skrewdriver
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Queen were my growing up band. Certainly from a purely musical perspective, they had a major effect on me just checking out many a genre. my best mate (guitarist) was also obsessed, I started playing drums. 

They're still the template I use for how live shows should be structured.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    James Dean Bradford

Ah, from the Moranic Street Poachers!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Eyyy bloody iPhone
  • I like various stuff but am absolutely terrible at putting those thoughts into meaningful or interesting words like Muggins et al can.

I do enjoy reading or hearing about people passions though.
  • Super Play was great.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Queen were my growing up band. Certainly from a purely musical perspective, they had a major effect on me just checking out many a genre. my best mate (guitarist) was also obsessed, I started playing drums.  They're still the template I use for how live shows should be structured.
    RE: Queen - I'd not heard this version before today:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!